There are 183 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Jadeveon Clowney sit out the year?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
I say no, it would be stupid. Not sure why the idea has gotten the traction it has, but seems every sports show has debated it.
I'm sure this might have something to do with it:
I would lose respect for him. If you are more concerned about your draft stock rather than helping your team win, then what will your mindset be going into the NFL?
I don't like it, but wouldn't hold it against him either. He'd likely be the #1 pick in this years draft. If he sits out is it really going to hurt his draft stock all that much? I doubt it. A serious injury would hurt it a whole lot more. Tricky situation. If it were me and millions of dollars were hanging in the balance I'd consider sitting it out. What if he were to get hurt? I'd say it's a very legitimate concern. South Carolina certainly isn't going to pay him the money he'd earn in the NFL if he were seriously injured.

In the end you have to treat this like a business decision, not a pride thing. Is he and his family set for life if he 'helps his team win' and ruins his pro career in the process?
NO. If you don't use it, you lose it!
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--even--5m-insurance-policy-for-jadeveon-clowney-isn-t-enough-to-cover-ncaa-s-short-sighted-ways-223714245.html
that's a clowney question bro.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

/thread
Here's an answer: Screw the courts. Pick 5 guys from NFL and 5 from NCAA football, and let them sort out non hardship cases, where there is a special kid like clowney, and let them make decision based on talent, maturity, and desire...if hardship isn't in the picture. Then whatever those guys decide is what happens for that yr. At worst he would lose. But it would open another avenue for special young men who are way , way above the rest of the crowd, and give them a shot at pros even if no hardship. Why not? I think this kid should be able to show his wares, and if he scouts out as a first rd pick, let him play.
It would be a terrible idea his stock would take a huge hit. Besides not having played in nearly a year and a half other guys will have moved into the spotlight and teams will have serious questions about his motivation to play vs his motivation to get paid....in the year or two before his next contract would he again holdout? It's just a bad idea all the way around.

If he's worried about getting injured he should take out insurance on himself like other college players have.
If you're healthy you play. That's what it's all about, isn't it?
Would be the dumbest thing he could do.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Gregg Doyel ‏@GreggDoyelCBS

Right now? Planning? RT @JFowlerCBS: USC spokesman: Jadeveon Clowney said "right now he is planning on playing" in '13

Jadeveon Clowney, right now, is planning to play for So Carolina next season? USC spokesman, you just made this worse