LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

Devin Taylor anyone?

He's on this list of biggest freaks in college football. He's 6'7 267 pound defensive end and highly athletic. Projected to go 3rd to 4th round by CBS draft prospects. I don't really know anything about him, but he clearly has some talent.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18992316
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Feb 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He had an inconsistent year, not generating a lot of sacks for someone with such a high profile.

He'd make a nice 4-3 DE/DT hybrid (i.e. Jason Jones), and I think if he's able to put on size, he could be a nice 3-4 DE. He'll have to really strengthen up and put on weight because he's a stick right now.
IMO, he's going to be a much better pro than he was a college player, but he has to be in the right scheme. He could either be a strong-side DE in a 4-3 or (after adding strength/weight) a 5-technique in a 3-4. Pretty solid against the run, huge wingspan (almost 87", compared to another freak Aldon Smith who has an 84" wingspan) and is definitely a great athlete, though not a quick-twitch kinda guy. Doesn't have natural pass rush abilities, but his long arms could be useful in a number of ways.

I like him as a Ray McDonald-type of 3-4 DE (IMO, his eventual ceiling), but would need to be developed over time. Will never be the guy who piles up big sack numbers, but could be a very solid pro for a number of years. Btw, his weight was up to 275 at the Shrine game where he was the best player on the field (probably not saying a whole lot though), and will likely be in the 280s at the combine. It's not much of a stretch to see him playing at 290-295 over the next few years.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
IMO, he's going to be a much better pro than he was a college player, but he has to be in the right scheme. He could either be a strong-side DE in a 4-3 or (after adding strength/weight) a 5-technique in a 3-4. Pretty solid against the run, huge wingspan (almost 87", compared to another freak Aldon Smith who has an 84" wingspan) and is definitely a great athlete, though not a quick-twitch kinda guy. Doesn't have natural pass rush abilities, but his long arms could be useful in a number of ways.

I like him as a Ray McDonald-type of 3-4 DE (IMO, his eventual ceiling), but would need to be developed over time. Will never be the guy who piles up big sack numbers, but could be a very solid pro for a number of years. Btw, his weight was up to 275 at the Shrine game where he was the best player on the field (probably not saying a whole lot though), and will likely be in the 280s at the combine. It's not much of a stretch to see him playing at 290-295 over the next few years.

If he can get up to 290-295 then he could possibly be a great fit at DE in our 3-4 and maybe even eventually replace Justin Smith (wishful thinking). Might be a great selection in the 3rd or 4th round.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

If he can get up to 290-295 then he could possibly be a great fit at DE in our 3-4 and maybe even eventually replace Justin Smith (wishful thinking). Might be a great selection in the 3rd or 4th round.

Doesn't have the motor of a Justin Smith, though...if he did, he'd probably be a late 1st/early 2nd round pick. Bottom line, I like him more than some others on this board, but I tend to be more of a glass-half-full guy, which isn't always conducive to talent evaluation.
Share 49ersWebzone