There are 90 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

D-Money's 2nd Mock Draft of the Offseason!!!

Originally posted by D-Money:
I do. I like Hankins but he seems simply invisible at times, which is a horrible quality for dlineman and I never get too excited over Ohio state players. But your right he most likely will go first round. But star and Floyd are ranked a ways ahead of him.

What about Jesse Williams? There is all kinds of buzz on him.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
at first when i saw the trade i thought this draft was going to suck but you actually made it work. you filled alot of needs but 2 OL guys in our first 4 picks? i say trade out one of those OL men for a DB and i will be tickled pink

I really wanted to but I thought the value of the OL vs DB in our spots favored the OL value wise. Thanks bro at least someone gets it. Everyone acts like our team is so horrible after WE JUST WENT TO THE SUPERBOWL. Well we're not. We need a player or Two not 14

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
LOL. You want to trade 8 picks including 2 first rounders for a DT? Unreal.

Case and point.

Like I said at the beginning this will probably be my favorite mock out of the five I do. Star is a much better prospect than Ngata was coming out. Sorry it's true
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
at first when i saw the trade i thought this draft was going to suck but you actually made it work. you filled alot of needs but 2 OL guys in our first 4 picks? i say trade out one of those OL men for a DB and i will be tickled pink

I really wanted to but I thought the value of the OL vs DB in our spots favored the OL value wise. Thanks bro at least someone gets it. Everyone acts like our team is so horrible after WE JUST WENT TO THE SUPERBOWL. Well we're not. We need a player or Two not 14

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
LOL. You want to trade 8 picks including 2 first rounders for a DT? Unreal.

Case and point.

Like I said at the beginning this will probably be my favorite mock out of the five I do. Star is a much better prospect than Ngata was coming out. Sorry it's true

If this is your favorite I would hate to see your others. The only time you would ever trade 8 picks including 2 firsts and a second would be for a franchise QB. Or, maybe a once in decade pass rushing monster like Lawrence Taylor. Certainly not a 3-4 NT. Making this deal would be ludicrous.
Picks 31 and 32 hopefully. We don't pick in the top half of the first round anymore. People just don't realize this is the trade it would take to get a top echelon player. Again this trade is similar to the Julio jones trade. Would you do the Julio Jones trade? Ummm Yes. If not you didn't see him have an all world game against us.. In only this first half.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I do. I like Hankins but he seems simply invisible at times, which is a horrible quality for dlineman and I never get too excited over Ohio state players. But your right he most likely will go first round. But star and Floyd are ranked a ways ahead of him.

What about Jesse Williams? There is all kinds of buzz on him.

He's good. Probably wont be any better than Soap in my opinion. There are better NT out there for sure. But he would be a guy who can only play nose in the pros the way I see it. Not all three downs like Star and Floyd.
why not trade Alex Smith to Oakland and save yourself some time
If Buffalo wants Ryan Nassib I don't think they'll take him at 8, he will be available at 31. The 49ers could get multiple picks for him, including a 2 or 3 in next years draft. Baalke is a shrewd GM, with so many picks this year he can set up the organization for next year with a few trades.
Don't like giving up that many picks.
I agree in theory with your consolidating some picks to move up a little bit, but I would rather that be spread through the first 3 rounds, not sell the farm to move up in the 1st. I like how you're going after a DT, but I would imagine a DT/DE being a little more value for our kind of defense. Also, it doesn't look like you're addressing the secondary until the 7th round. Personally, that might be something that should be hit on a little earlier, IMO.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Agree w/most... Just too many picks to give up...
I wouldve drafted a Safety with the 3rd pick. Goldson could be franchised again and Whitner is due a contract next season which he wont get. It would be smart to draft a replacement instead of paying for it on the market. Tj Mcdonald, Bacarri Rambo, Shawn Williams, Phillip Thomas, Robert Lester could all be there at that pick. Also a CB till 7th round is not where I wouldv'e went either. I like the Chris Faulk pick the injury rreally knocked his stock but he has all the potential for the next level. the best part about this draft is the idea of getting Star. I dont think I would give up that much but man the thought is tempting.
Picks 31 and 32 hopefully. We don't pick in the top half of the first round anymore. People just don't realize this is the trade it would take to get a top echelon player. Again this trade is similar to the Julio jones trade. Would you do the Julio Jones trade? Ummm Yes. If not you didn't see him have an all world game against us.. In only this first half.

1) That draft was so top heavy at WR and the two top prospects were AJ Green and Jones. There was a HUGE talent dropoff after those two players at the WR position and Green was already gone. The next 5 WR's who were drafted were Jonathan Baldwin, Titus Young, Torrey Smith, Greg Little and Randall Cobb. Not one of these guys is in Julio Jones' class as a WR.

2) This year, there are six other players at DT who carry a first round grade. Floyd, Richardson, J. Williams, J. Hankins, J. Jenkins and Short all could be drafted in the first round, too.

If you were the Niners, would you give up an entire draft's worth of picks for someone who is only marginally better than 6 other prospects? Sorry, but my answer would be NO.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

1) That draft was so top heavy at WR and the two top prospects were AJ Green and Jones. There was a HUGE talent dropoff after those two players at the WR position and Green was already gone. The next 5 WR's who were drafted were Jonathan Baldwin, Titus Young, Torrey Smith, Greg Little and Randall Cobb. Not one of these guys is in Julio Jones' class as a WR.

2) This year, there are six other players at DT who carry a first round grade. Floyd, Richardson, J. Williams, J. Hankins, J. Jenkins and Short all could be drafted in the first round, too.

If you were the Niners, would you give up an entire draft's worth of picks for someone who is only marginally better than 6 other prospects? Sorry, but my answer would be NO.

Yep. All of this. Then to compound things he has the Niners taking 2 OL in the first 4 picks and really not addressing the safety or cornerback positions which are far greater needs than the offensive line. The Niners, contrary to what the OP thinks, have needs in several areas. DT, DE, WR, CB, S, TE, backup QB.
Trade: Alex Smith to Cleveland for 3rd and 6th round picks.

Trade: 1st rounder #31, 2nd rounder #63, 3rd rounder #95, two 6th rounders, and a 7th rounder in 2013 and a 1st in 2014 to Oakland for #3 overall.

Trade #74(from Car) to Det for 5th in 2013 and a 2nd in 2014.

----2013 Draft----

1st-#3(Oak) Star Lotulelei DT, Utah- The best player in this draft. He is a dominant Nose Tackle and could be like Suh on rush downs. So strong with superior athleticisim for someone his size. He is a run stuffer and an above average pass rusher with the ability to be All Pro. He could eventually play end for Justin Smith too. If I'm looking at the one better team than us last year, and I'm asking myself what they have that we don't? It's Haloti Ngata. Well this is Haloti Ngata 2.0. And believe me all that talk of him only playing when wants to, will be gone as soon as sees what defense he'll be on. Oakland will gladly make this trade as they need qualtiy over quantity at this point, and getting 7 picks in return is what they need, getting a dominant stater on the d-line is what we need.

3rd#68(Clev) Travis Frederick C, Wisc -This guy is the next mammoth for our bruising o-line. I don't know why people are saying he can't play C in this league. He was a great center for an o-line factory last year at Wisconsin. And before that he was a very solid guard. He is also a hell of a team player. He has the size and run blocking skills our team covets and would ideally take over next year and learn from Goodwin this year. Our O-line is the strength of our team and we need to make sure it stays that way.

3rd-(comp) Jamie Collins- OLB USM- A DII Prospect that converted from the secondary and into a pass rushing role. A very explosive player off the ball and has the talent to get better. Could definitely be an option on pass rushing downs. I think he can make a superb special teams player for us at the beginning of his career.

4th- Chris Faulk OT LSU- This kid has all the potential in the world. He sustained an injury but is reported to be ahead of schedule. One thing that scared the crap out of me was if something had happened to our OTs this season. Faulk will be are swing tackle and jumbo formation replacement for L.Davis. I will be able to breathe easier with this pick.

5th-(Indy) Dustin Hopkins K FSU- Yes the all time leading scorer in DI history. This kid has a tremendous leg and this draft would not be complete if he was not on our team. He can absolutely blast kickoffs. Hopkins will be a great kicker for us and the need for the position to be filled couldn't be higher.

5th-Marcus Davis WR, VTech- This kid has all the tools in the world. However he has been thought to be disinterested or not giving full effort at all times. Remind you of someone a little. However he has the size and ball skills that are similar to Dez Bryant. He could be a red zone machine and a mad blocker for us on the outside if motivated. I am very confident in our staff to bring players up to their potential.

6th-Brad Sorenson QB Southern Utah- I have full confidence in Harbaugh to turn myself into a starting NFL qb, let alone a kid with actual tools like Sorensen. He went up against very light competition, but as long as the tools are there and the mindset of the qb to want to get better. He could easily challenge for the #2 spot even this year.

7th- Cory Grissom- DT/DE, USF- This guy has the size and that has been a commmon thing throughout this draft, as I feel we need to get back to being the most physical team in the game on both sides of the ball.

7th(comp) Sanders Commings CB, Georgia- Another CB with good size and played against alot of good teams. Could fight for a spot on special teams.

7th(comp) Micheal Ford RB, LSU- The big back we could use for camp. Always could use someone to push our starters and he could suprise? You never know.

This has been the second of what will be five mock drafts, but I dont think any will top this one. Getting the best player in the draft and still having more than seven picks in this draft is insane. This is how the rich get richer. The loss of a first rounder in 2014 is not as bad with an extra second coming back. Getting 4 future starters and much needed depth is making me like this trade up more and more. I know everyone is going to be saying we are trading away too many picks, but all those picks will not make the team. Now getting a STAR in this draft is what we need.

1st Rd. (Land one of them)

1st Choice 2nd Choice 3rd Choice 4th Choice

Jon Jenkins (NT Georgia), Sheldon Richardson (DT Missouri), Sharrif Floyd (DT Florida), Margus Hunt

2nd RD.

Bacarri Rambo (SS Georgia)

3rd Rd.

Levine Toilolo (TE Stanford), Tyrann Mathieu (PR-CB "slot monster" LSU), Terry Hawthorne (CB-KR , Ill)

4th Rd.

Marquess Wilson (WR Washington State)

5th Rd.

Quanterus Smith (DE Western Kentucky), Dustin Hopkins (K Florida State)

6th Ring next up!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home