There are 169 users in the forums

D-Money's 2nd Mock Draft of the Offseason!!!

Trade: Alex Smith to Cleveland for 3rd and 6th round picks.

Trade: 1st rounder #31, 2nd rounder #63, 3rd rounder #95, two 6th rounders, and a 7th rounder in 2013 and a 1st in 2014 to Oakland for #3 overall.

Trade #74(from Car) to Det for 5th in 2013 and a 2nd in 2014.

----2013 Draft----

1st-#3(Oak) Star Lotulelei DT, Utah- The best player in this draft. He is a dominant Nose Tackle and could be like Suh on rush downs. So strong with superior athleticisim for someone his size. He is a run stuffer and an above average pass rusher with the ability to be All Pro. He could eventually play end for Justin Smith too. If I'm looking at the one better team than us last year, and I'm asking myself what they have that we don't? It's Haloti Ngata. Well this is Haloti Ngata 2.0. And believe me all that talk of him only playing when wants to, will be gone as soon as sees what defense he'll be on. Oakland will gladly make this trade as they need qualtiy over quantity at this point, and getting 7 picks in return is what they need, getting a dominant stater on the d-line is what we need.

3rd#68(Clev) Travis Frederick C, Wisc -This guy is the next mammoth for our bruising o-line. I don't know why people are saying he can't play C in this league. He was a great center for an o-line factory last year at Wisconsin. And before that he was a very solid guard. He is also a hell of a team player. He has the size and run blocking skills our team covets and would ideally take over next year and learn from Goodwin this year. Our O-line is the strength of our team and we need to make sure it stays that way.

3rd-(comp) Jamie Collins- OLB USM- A DII Prospect that converted from the secondary and into a pass rushing role. A very explosive player off the ball and has the talent to get better. Could definitely be an option on pass rushing downs. I think he can make a superb special teams player for us at the beginning of his career.

4th- Chris Faulk OT LSU- This kid has all the potential in the world. He sustained an injury but is reported to be ahead of schedule. One thing that scared the crap out of me was if something had happened to our OTs this season. Faulk will be are swing tackle and jumbo formation replacement for L.Davis. I will be able to breathe easier with this pick.

5th-(Indy) Dustin Hopkins K FSU- Yes the all time leading scorer in DI history. This kid has a tremendous leg and this draft would not be complete if he was not on our team. He can absolutely blast kickoffs. Hopkins will be a great kicker for us and the need for the position to be filled couldn't be higher.

5th-Marcus Davis WR, VTech- This kid has all the tools in the world. However he has been thought to be disinterested or not giving full effort at all times. Remind you of someone a little. However he has the size and ball skills that are similar to Dez Bryant. He could be a red zone machine and a mad blocker for us on the outside if motivated. I am very confident in our staff to bring players up to their potential.

6th-Brad Sorenson QB Southern Utah- I have full confidence in Harbaugh to turn myself into a starting NFL qb, let alone a kid with actual tools like Sorensen. He went up against very light competition, but as long as the tools are there and the mindset of the qb to want to get better. He could easily challenge for the #2 spot even this year.

7th- Cory Grissom- DT/DE, USF- This guy has the size and that has been a commmon thing throughout this draft, as I feel we need to get back to being the most physical team in the game on both sides of the ball.

7th(comp) Sanders Commings CB, Georgia- Another CB with good size and played against alot of good teams. Could fight for a spot on special teams.

7th(comp) Micheal Ford RB, LSU- The big back we could use for camp. Always could use someone to push our starters and he could suprise? You never know.

This has been the second of what will be five mock drafts, but I dont think any will top this one. Getting the best player in the draft and still having more than seven picks in this draft is insane. This is how the rich get richer. The loss of a first rounder in 2014 is not as bad with an extra second coming back. Getting 4 future starters and much needed depth is making me like this trade up more and more. I know everyone is going to be saying we are trading away too many picks, but all those picks will not make the team. Now getting a STAR in this draft is what we need.
That's a lot of picks for one guy. Why not just trade Alex to the raiders?
I just heard recently that the raiders are still invested in Palmer, and until they get an oline and a defense I honestly don't think he's the problem either.
I just look at the impact Julio Jones made for ATL and I believe Star can be that one guy we need to get over the hump. I don't understand why people think we need so much help everywhere. Get younger and better at the same time should be the approach. Our team is ready right now as it is without adding anybody, by adding an all Star we can get back to the SB and win it!
Seven picks for a defensive tackle? Lotuleilei is a good player, but is he worth an entire draft's worth of picks? Sorry, but I don't buy it.

The rest of your draft has some great picks between the late 3rd through the 6th (Faulk, Hopkins, and Sorenson).
Yeah that trade is crazy....IMO way too many picks given up.
I mean if we really want to break it down were trading 4 picks for #3 overall as the two 6th and the 7th rounder probably won't make our team anyways. I just like the fact that it's basically the same amount and same placement of where our picks would be if we didn't have so many extra picks. We're still drafting 10 players this year and still the last 3 will have trouble cracking the roster. Is getting the best defensive player in the draft worth trading four* picks? I believe so. Would he make our defense dominant again? again I gotta believe so. If we can control the line of scrimmage, we will win the games. Quality over quantity was the motto in this draft, we need depth throughout our roster but most of the starting roles are locked up, there is a glaring hole at NT/DT that we can fill with a straight savage. I know everyone wasn't going to like the trade but it is something we should strongly consider..
All that glitters isn't gold.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/2/12/3981706/2013-nfl-draft-has-star-lotulelei-become-overrated

Personally,

I'd MUCH rather work some trades to get Floyd. Then, we'd have more left over to aquire better talent.

Faulk is an interesting pick and I'm looking forward to learning more about him.

Really like Hopkins int eh5th and Sorrenson later.

I also feel we shoud package our 7th rounders and move on up
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
All that glitters isn't gold.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/2/12/3981706/2013-nfl-draft-has-star-lotulelei-become-overrated

Personally,

I'd MUCH rather work some trades to get Floyd. Then, we'd have more left over to aquire better talent.

Faulk is an interesting pick and I'm looking forward to learning more about him.

Really like Hopkins int eh5th and Sorrenson later.

I also feel we shoud package our 7th rounders and move on up

I would rather give up less to trade up for Floyd. Not backed up by facts or stats (who needs those anyway?) but I feel like DL has one of the higher bust rates in the draft.
Thank god you are not the GM. You want to give up way to much for one player. Look at New Orleans and the Ricky Williams deal, or look atReggie Bush. There is no SURE thing in the draft. Giving up the 2014 first round pick wanted to make me puke. Give up a pick in a more talented draft, pure genius.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Seven picks for a defensive tackle? Lotuleilei is a good player, but is he worth an entire draft's worth of picks? Sorry, but I don't buy it.

The rest of your draft has some great picks between the late 3rd through the 6th (Faulk, Hopkins, and Sorenson).

cosign

Originally posted by 9erred:
Thank god you are not the GM. You want to give up way to much for one player. Look at New Orleans and the Ricky Williams deal, or look atReggie Bush. There is no SURE thing in the draft. Giving up the 2014 first round pick wanted to make me puke. Give up a pick in a more talented draft, pure genius.

This is more of a Julio Jones type deal and with the new draft slot salary for rookies it takes more to move up. I think you missed the point that were trying to go back to the Super Bowl. Why wait for next year? This is outside the box thinking. And I expected most of you if not all to be against it. But realistically this is what it takes to move up. I think if you can get one all pro type player every year you had a good draft. If you want a hole bunch of players that aren't going to make an impact go look at our draft from last year. This ensures we will get another foundation block for our team, he will put our defense over the top! To me thats a deal worth taking. As far as being the GM, I think all of us are entitled to our opinions on players and in the draft. So it's easy to say you suck as a wannabe GM as well. In the end ask yourself this question. Did our team improve through the draft and how much? With this draft yes we did. We got a stud Nt/DT and 3 other future starters, still don't see how that's bad draft. And for all those calling him overrated. Theres a big drop off from him and Floyd IMO.
Originally posted by D-Money:
Originally posted by 9erred:

This is more of a Julio Jones type deal and with the new draft slot salary for rookies it takes more to move up. I think you missed the point that were trying to go back to the Super Bowl. Why wait for next year? This is outside the box thinking. And I expected most of you if not all to be against it. But realistically this is what it takes to move up. I think if you can get one all pro type player every year you had a good draft. If you want a hole bunch of players that aren't going to make an impact go look at our draft from last year. This ensures we will get another foundation block for our team, he will put our defense over the top! To me thats a deal worth taking. As far as being the GM, I think all of us are entitled to our opinions on players and in the draft. So it's easy to say you suck as a wannabe GM as well. In the end ask yourself this question. Did our team improve through the draft and how much? With this draft yes we did. We got a stud Nt/DT and 3 other future starters, still don't see how that's bad draft. And for all those calling him overrated. Theres a big drop off from him and Floyd IMO.
I agree with quality of quantity and this was fine with me until you decided to throw in next years 1st rounder. Top player or not, he is not worth (2) 1st rounders, 2nd, 3rd, 2 6th, and a 7th rounder for the 3rd overall overall pick. there are always gems to be found outside of the first and for that fact at the end of the first round (Navarro Bowman).
I concurr with 9erred. If for some reason Star Lotiapicks fell to say 12-20 yes I agree with a move. Besides those picks of ours could be used to set us up for years to come, example last years 3rd round that got us 6 pick to include another 3rd. We could do that this year with our 2nd for a 1st this year. There is aggressive styles and loosing your @ss and getting fired styles. This is the later.
I don't like mocks with more than 1 modest trade. No way we a guy like Star Lotulelei. I agree he's a beast... possibly the best defender in this draft. I could see trading up as much as 10 spots to get him. But that won't be enough.

Time to get over the fact that as long as we are a good team, we won't be able to get the top draft talents. We will have to make do with developing 2nd tier talents and using our picks wisely.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I don't like mocks with more than 1 modest trade. No way we a guy like Star Lotulelei. I agree he's a beast... possibly the best defender in this draft. I could see trading up as much as 10 spots to get him. But that won't be enough.

Time to get over the fact that as long as we are a good team, we won't be able to get the top draft talents. We will have to make do with developing 2nd tier talents and using our picks wisely.
We can depend on our scouts to find gems and bargains. Coaching them will take care of itself.
[ Edited by juycho on Feb 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM ]
Didn't they say GlennDorsey was a beast and would be a game changer. So far that hasn't happened.

Poe hasn't shown up either.

Too much to give up for one guy who may not be as advertised.
Share 49ersWebzone