LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

Pre Combine Mock

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
We don't need anymore smurf recievers. Got to go with size and speed at WR.

I think that improving the quality of the receiving corps is the critical task.
  • buck
  • Veteran
double post sorry
[ Edited by buck on Feb 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM ]
Buck, I love your trades. You have engineered 5 picks between 41 and 74, where there is great value in this year's draft.
I like Brandon Williams DT at 61.
[ Edited by mebemused on Feb 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Yeah, and do it with the pool of bigger recievers that will be available.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I guess I don't understand why they would expend their first pick on a smallish receiver when they've already got K Williams, Manningham and Jenkins to work on during the off season.

Austin is the most explosive player in this draft, by far. These are the explosive plays, he has had in the last three years.

30 + Yds 57 plays
40 + Yds 33 plays
50 + Yds 16 plays
60 + Yds 12 plays
70 + Yds 10 plays
80 + Yds 4 plays
90 + Yds 3 plays

In the last three years, he has played in 39 games. It really seems that he has not missed a game.

Not only is he quick and fast, but he is also tough.

edit: Manningham, Williams, and Jenkins have not really been all that productive.

Couldn't agree more about Austin the kid is a stud and will break your ankles. Highly durable player for his size as well.
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Trade #1:

Trade Alex Smith to the Raiders for their 3rd round pick--#66
Raiders cannot afford to keep Carson Palmer, and Alex Smith wants to stay in the Bay Area.

Trade #2

Trade picks #31 and # 93(728 points) to Buffalo for picks #41 and #71(725 points.)
Buffalo trades back into the first to draft Ryan Nassib, QB from Syracuse.

Trade # 3

Our 5th and two 6th round picks (about 65.8 points) to Chicago for their 4th round pick (about 62 points.)
Chicago only has 5 picks in the draft and they want more picks.

Re-Sign: Dashon Goldson, Ricky Jean-Francois, and Larry Grant

Lost Free Agents: Ted Ginn, Leonard Davis, Randy Moss, Delanie Walker, Brandon Jacobs and Isaac Sopoaga

Cap Cuts: Parys Haralson (2.57 M), David Akers (3 M) Alex Smith—trade (6.5 M)

Free Agency: nadia, zilch, zero

2nd 41 BUF Tavon Austin WR West Virginia 5-09 175

2nd 61 SF Brandon Williams NT Missouri Southern St 6-2 340

3rd 66 Oak Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati 6-5 260

3rd 71 BUF Darius Slay CB Mississippi St 6-1 190

3rd 74 CAR Bernie Logan DE LSU 6-3 295

4th ?? CHI David Bass OLB Missouri Western 6-3 262

4th ?? SF Dustin Hopkins K Florida St 6-2 190

7th ?? CIN Manase Foketi OT West Texas A&M 6-5 320

7th ?? SF Kapron Lewis-Moore DE Notre Dame 6-4 306

UDFA:

1. Armonty Bryant OLB East Central U 6-4 250
2. Jared Smith DE New Hampshire 6-3 302
3. Quanterus Smith OLB Western Kentucky 6-5 250
4. Sean Renfree QB Duke 6-4 225

No............
If we are trading our first we need a 1st next year. That is the only thing that makes sense.
[ Edited by juycho on Feb 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM ]
I guess I don't understand why they would expend their first pick on a smallish receiver when they've already got K Williams, Manningham and Jenkins to work on during the off season.

This
[ Edited by juycho on Feb 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM ]
Originally posted by mebemused:
Buck, I love your trades. You have engineered 5 picks between 41 and 74, where there is great value in this year's draft.

Baalke is not Bill Bellicheck. Way to many trades, this is great for New England or Madden, but I can tell you it is just not going to happen. I do however covet two second round picks over a low 1st. I like the thinking, just think it will never happen. I say.

1. Stick with pick 31
2 Use the Alex Smith trade to flop picks. this gives the other team a qb plus draft picks, and the niners get a higher pick without giving up much. For example if you think Oakland is the team, the Niners trade Alex Smith plus their low second round pick for the Raiders high second round pick. This is equivalent of a 3rd round value for AS. If the Raiders do not have a second round pick, then assume the same with other teams or simply take a pick I would love to flop picks in rounds 3,4 and 5, more value.

Maybe we should change our colors to blue and our name from 49ers to smurfs.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by mebemused:

Baalke is not Bill Bellicheck. Way to many trades, this is great for New England or Madden, but I can tell you it is just not going to happen. I do however covet two second round picks over a low 1st. I like the thinking, just think it will never happen. I say.

1. Stick with pick 31
2 Use the Alex Smith trade to flop picks. this gives the other team a qb plus draft picks, and the niners get a higher pick without giving up much. For example if you think Oakland is the team, the Niners trade Alex Smith plus their low second round pick for the Raiders high second round pick. This is equivalent of a 3rd round value for AS. If the Raiders do not have a second round pick, then assume the same with other teams or simply take a pick I would love to flop picks in rounds 3,4 and 5, more value.
I would prefer we trade for a 1st pick next year. That is also equivalent to a low 2nd. That still gives the other team picks and we are set for next year and this year.

Interseting post.

I don't think we need any more little receivers.

I'd rather see a BIG, Fast WR to open it up.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

.......because Tavon Austin could be Percy Harvin 2.0 without the migraines, bad attitude and $ 8 million per year contract till later.

I'd prefer we went bigger at WR. Someone who would pose more of a redzone threat. But I understand your thinking as well.

Same here... but I overall like you whole mock, buck. Kyle W and Rio are coming off of rough injuries.. and Austin is another sure-handed YAC weapon that can get quick separation. Not giving up on AJJ, but we can't just assume he will amount to enough. I really like Bennie Logan, but see him as more of an eventual RayMac replacement than for Justin.

It's an all-around "B" mock for me right now.
Love the first 4 picks, but Logan will not likely be there in the late 3rd. Regarding smaller Wrs, I don't mind Austin since he can do a lot of different things for you, but we do need to add another WR with some size/strength either in free agency or later in the draft. I've recommended Brandon Gibson in my mock, but I'm sure there are others that can be added.

Also, I'm all for drafting a kicker, but not in the 4th round.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captain_planet:
If we don't take a receiver who stands at least 6'3" I will scream.

if we take another wide out in the first round i will f**king scream.
I really like the draft. Austin is the next Steve Smith but more explosive. I'd be fine cutting Manningham if we got him. I think we'll sign a couple mid level free agents though.
Share 49ersWebzone