There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

niners can roll the dice in the draft

1 great thing about the niners having so many picks is they can afford to roll the dice on players who they might not otherwise consider taking...

for example, if they think they can make colin klein a passer, he would be a greta pick as a developmental qb...with his running ability he would evetually be a better repalcement for kaerpnick than tolzien would should the starting qb go down

they could take a chance on a smaller guy with character concerns like tyran mathieu, who despite not being the fastest or biggest player has shown a knack for making plays..or a bigger guy with character concerns like armonty bryant of c.oklahoma, a small college pass rusher

i cant recall niners in past reaching on players with character issues but baalke may be willing to do so if it can improve the talent level of his team and the concern isnt more than marijuana use

they could take a chance on players who may have suffered injuries late in the year and may not be able to be ready at the start of the year...one guy like this is quantareus smith of western kentucky----i was looking for highlights of various draft prospects that niners could take and saw that this kid had 3 sacks in game vs alabama--he blew out a knee late in the year...but with harbaugh's ties to western kentucky this kid may be of interest to them as a development pass rushing olb

this has paid off for niners before...they took kevin f*gan from miami when he was recovering from kee inj and he was a great player
[ Edited by hofer36 on Feb 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM ]
Who do you think that they ought to pick to put your plan into effect?
Originally posted by hofer36:
1 great thing about the niners having so many picks is they can afford to roll the dice on players who they might not otherwise consider taking...

for example, if they think they can make colin klein a passer, he would be a greta pick as a developmental qb...with his running ability he would evetually be a better repalcement for kaerpnick than tolzien would should the starting qb go down

they could take a chance on a smaller guy with character concerns like tyran mathieu, who despite not being the fastest or biggest player has shown a knack for making plays..or a bigger guy with character concerns like armonty bryant of c.oklahoma, a small college pass rusher

i cant recall niners in past reaching on players with character issues but baalke may be willing to do so if it can improve the talent level of his team and the concern isnt more than marijuana use

they could take a chance on players who may have suffered injuries late in the year and may not be able to be ready at the start of the year...one guy like this is quantareus smith of western kentucky----i was looking for highlights of various draft prospects that niners could take and saw that this kid had 3 sacks in game vs alabama--he blew out a knee late in the year...but with harbaugh's ties to western kentucky this kid may be of interest to them as a development pass rushing olb

this has paid off for niners before...they took kevin f*gan from miami when he was recovering from kee inj and he was a great player

I like your thinking. We picked up f*gan , a sure-fire 1st rounder before his injury in the 4th round. Back then we were loaded and could stockpile. Not sure if we could do that anymore cuz not up on PUP rules as to when a player must come off. But clearly an interesting notion..
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Who do you think that they ought to pick to put your plan into effect?

mattheiu fills need for more dbs--plus he has punt return skills
I think Mathieu and Q. Smith are great examples of players the Niners can "roll the dice" on in this draft. They are talented players with question marks about their maturity or recovering from injury.

Klein...........not so much. He definitely can run and has leadership ability, but he doesn't throw the ball as well as some of the other QB prospects in this draft.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I think Mathieu and Q. Smith are great examples of players the Niners can "roll the dice" on in this draft. They are talented players with question marks about their maturity or recovering from injury.

Klein...........not so much. He definitely can run and has leadership ability, but he doesn't throw the ball as well as some of the other QB prospects in this draft.

God I hope so
Tyrann Mathieu is an intriguing player. He's only 5'9 but he's the type of player that has a nose for the ball and makes the big play. He'd be a great special teams player. If the 49ers hold onto their picks I hope they select some Special Team players.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Tyrann Mathieu is an intriguing player. He's only 5'9 but he's the type of player that has a nose for the ball and makes the big play. He'd be a great special teams player. If the 49ers hold onto their picks I hope they select some Special Team players.

Special teams players that are at least serviceable backups on offense or defense, please. Mathieu could be a pure nickle, giving us Brown and Cully outside, and sending Rodgers to the Nate Clements scrap heap. I think it's great that he studies film like a madman, but the quicks are gone and the man was toast all year. He has some steady games, and he has some ugly ones, but he had no spectacular games, so he shouldn't make the big $$. Replacing him w/the Honey Badger (or a comparable quick-twitch playmaker) gives us money to use on Brown's extension (hated him early in 2011, but he's playing great).

Gore was an injury risk (and a HUGE reach, according to the talking heads) when we took him, and he worked out pretty well. Q. Smith sounds interesting, Lattimore could be good value if he falls far enough (send him straight to the IR, then let him compete in 2014), and that DE from Cincy with the deformed vertebra could be a serious value as a late round, UDFA pickup.

Another roll of the dice scenario would involve supremely talented but raw athletes who could either blow up or never develop into football players, like: Margus Hunt and Ezekiel Ansah. Dudes are freaks, but they look lost sometimes.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home