There are 123 users in the forums

Article - Next JJ Watt?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000138815/article/margus-hunt-ezekiel-ansah-emerge-in-search-for-next-jj-watt

Interesting article.
Margus Hunt is really intriguing of a player, especially because of his size at the 5 technique for our defense. I've seen his stock from middle of the 1st round, to the early part of the 2nd round.

His wingspan, potentially combined with Aldon's on one side, would be a deadzone for all running backs.
I don't care if he's 25. I think he's worth the 31st overall pick.
Originally posted by EezyNiner:

How long are you willing to wait for Hunt to develop because he will not be JJ Watt in year one or year two. He is an intriguing prospect, but he is very raw. We can't afford a developmental pick in the first round.
I like him but I have no idea how he translates into a 3-4 D end. We use such a hybrid of the 3-4/4-3 that I think he would be useful either way. I love the upside on special teams.

As an example people scoffed when we moved Boone to the guard spot saying 6-8 is too tall. I know it's not the same situation but I just don't feel like every position has to have the typical measurables that people are looking for.

The guy could be a total bust but when I watch or read about him I get excited about the possibilities... Everyone else so far around the 31st pick or so seems kind of blehhhhh...
too much of a gamble IMO and i dont know if we could afford throwing away a 1st. He is a hot and cold guy and that is the opposite of what jj watt and justin smith are.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
He would be a monster on Special teams though with the punt and FG blocks, so he will add value. I don't like his age though.
I don't see a JJ Watt comparison. I see a Calais Campbell comparison.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by EezyNiner:

How long are you willing to wait for Hunt to develop because he will not be JJ Watt in year one or year two. He is an intriguing prospect, but he is very raw. We can't afford a developmental pick in the first round.
With the draft I never really care. It's all a gamble IMO. He would start the year at age 26 but I could see him helping out this year on special teams and coming in on 3rd downs or when Justin or Ray Mac are gassed. If he's a good football player than I don't really care that we are getting him for less years. I just want good football players...

I like that he is different and that makes him a little unpredictable. He's alot taller and has a long wingspan but still has alot of strength. An Oline might gameplan for Justin Smith or Ray, etc... and it might throw a curve to the offenses we face if he comes in as a rotation and is able to put pressure on the QB.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
He is lean enough to also play OLB in the 3-4. No?

Originally posted by pd24:
He is lean enough to also play OLB in the 3-4. No?

Nope. If anything, he has more frame to add weight.
I used to deliver pizzas maybe I have a chance. I'm 28 so either way the browns are picking me in the 1st lol
Share 49ersWebzone