LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

Jonathan Cyprien?

New WalterFootball.com mock has us taking this dude in the first

San Francisco 49ers: Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International Despite making the Pro Bowl, Donte Whitner hasn't been very good this year (he surrendered more touchdowns than any safety). Dashon Goldson, meanwhile, was slapped with a franchise tag this prior offseason. The 49ers, who might want to upgrade the secondary after Joe Flacco torched them in the Super Bowl, will need a replacement if they can't sign him to a long-term deal. Jonathan Cyprien makes a big leap in today's update. There's so much buzz about him recently, and there are multiple reports indicating that several teams have him ranked as the No. 2 safety in this class.

Any of you draft gurus know about this guy?
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I haven't seen him play but he had a great senior bowl week. Small school safety but peeps I follow on twitter say he can ball.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

Here is an article about him and his Senior Bowl performance:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/01/fius_jonathan_cyprien_has_gain.html

Not necessarily a sleeper pick anymore after his performance in Mobile.
I totally get wanting to upgrade Whitner, but it's easy to forget that we were the 4th best passing defense in the league last year. I mean, that's pretty damn good for an entire regular season. IMO, the entire defense (especially our defensive front/pass rush) wore down towards the end of the year and particularly in the playoffs, so it wasn't just an issue with our secondary.

IMO, high-quality depth is needed everywhere on this defense, but if I had to use a high pick (or two), it would be on the defensive front and not at the safety position, especially if we re-sign Goldson. If we don't re-sign Goldson (and/or if we release Whitner), that's obviously another story. Guys like Cyprien, Matt Elam and even a trade-up for Kenny Vaccaro would then be the obvious 1st round targets.

But given the fact that we came up just 3 points short of a SB win, I don't see major changes to the starting roles on either side of the ball. A few breaks here and there and we're picking 32nd. That's how good this team is/was and that can be easy to forget when you lose the last game of the year.
He looks like he was on a team that could not tackle/over-pursued every play. He cleaned up some messes, but I see him missing some tackles in these videos. Nobody's perfect, but I'm not 100% sold on him from these videos.
Whitner is out of contract next year so we need to draft a replacement bwcause resigning would be a fail.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Whitner is out of contract next year so we need to draft a replacement bwcause resigning would be a fail.

Definitely agree with this. The question is, what round do you draft his replacement? And, what we don't know is how much confidence (if any) do they have in Trenton Robinson as a potential replacement. Whether or not they use a high pick on a safety pretty much answers the 2nd question.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Definitely agree with this. The question is, what round do you draft his replacement? And, what we don't know is how much confidence (if any) do they have in Trenton Robinson as a potential replacement. Whether or not they use a high pick on a safety pretty much answers the 2nd question.
Arent they pretty high on Spillman as well? Or is he more of a FS than a SS?
Originally posted by valrod33:

Arent they pretty high on Spillman as well? Or is he more of a FS than a SS?

Spillman is definitely more of a FS, and they love his special teams ability. Not sure how they feel about him as a starting FS though since he's almost never on the field.

I totally get wanting to upgrade Whitner, but it's easy to forget that we were the 4th best passing defense in the league last year. I mean, that's pretty damn good for an entire regular season. IMO, the entire defense (especially our defensive front/pass rush) wore down towards the end of the year and particularly in the playoffs, so it wasn't just an issue with our secondary.

IMO, high-quality depth is needed everywhere on this defense, but if I had to use a high pick (or two), it would be on the defensive front and not at the safety position, especially if we re-sign Goldson. If we don't re-sign Goldson (and/or if we release Whitner), that's obviously another story. Guys like Cyprien, Matt Elam and even a trade-up for Kenny Vaccaro would then be the obvious 1st round targets.

But given the fact that we came up just 3 points short of a SB win, I don't see major changes to the starting roles on either side of the ball. A few breaks here and there and we're picking 32nd. That's how good this team is/was and that can be easy to forget when you lose the last game of the year.

I totally agree. The secondary was great until the pass rush died down. Hopefully we can find a saety in the mid rounds like we dd Goldson.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
I totally agree. The secondary was great until the pass rush died down. Hopefully we can find a saety in the mid rounds like we dd Goldson.

I agree as well. Remember that our pass D wasn't an issue until J Smith went out in New England. If we don't resign Goldson, I'm all for taking Cyprien or a similar player in the 1st. If we do resign Goldson, I don't see us taking a safety until the 2nd or 3rd. We need DL depth more than anything on this team.
WalterFootball mock draft has the Niners taking Cyprien with their first pick. I could imagine them doing this and then bunching some picks to move up higher in the second round to take Johnathan Jenkins (6'4", 360 lbs.) for a classic NT.

But given the fact that we came up just 5 points short of a SB win, I don't see major changes to the starting roles on either side of the ball. A few breaks here and there and we're picking 32nd. That's how good this team is/was and that can be easy to forget when you lose the last game of the year.

Fixed it for yah.
Share 49ersWebzone