LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Percy Harvin and Trading Picks for Players

We have addressed the WR position with bargain free agents and weak draft picks for many years now and had nothing to show for it, but Crabtree. I think we need to make a play for somebody this year with all that talent out there on the street somebody will be willing to come to a contender for a discount rather than get a huge pay day to play for a bottom feeder.

If its a small/slot guy like Amendola, Harvin, Welker...we have to go get Kap a redzone target...somebody tall, rangy and strong. If its somebody bigge like Wallace, Bowe, Jennings...we need to draft a true slot player with some fire in his belly to go over the middle. If I had my choice I would go Bowe and draft Swope in the the third. I think that represents the best upgrade to investment ratio. All of them but Welker are head cases, but Bowe's gripe was pretty legit, given the nut house that is KC.

Moss goes, Ginn goes, Rio and Williams may not be back right away and when they are might not return to form. This position needs to be addressed along with line depth on both sides of the ball and future prospects for the secondary.

Why get Harvin when you can grab this guy?
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

You think he makes it to 31?
Originally posted by valrod33:

Don't see that happening but if he did I'd jump at it.

Not a chance.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
What's interesting is that if we traded for him and he walked after the season, we'd get a 3rd round pick (compensatory) in 2015.

Interesting concept. We'd be gambling he stayed healthy though.
I think people have overblown the Harvin as a Diva angle. He wants to get paid in line with his contributions. He's been doing it for a few years now, and he thinks he deserves a certain level of compensation. His value to the Vikings is understated because they made the playoffs behind the best RB performance in recent memory, and strong red zone contributions from their TE. They'd be dumb to trade him, and we'd be smart to consider it for a 2nd or 3rd. If he walks after this season without a contract we get a 3rd anyway. I'm sure Baalke and Co are considering it, since he would fill Moss' roster spot while providing Ginn's contribution. He also adds the fly sweep dimension to the offense, as well as formation flexibility. For example:

We could come out of the huddle with Harvin, Crabtree, Walker (or Celek), Miller and Davis at the eligible positions. Start off with just Miller in the back field and motion Harvin in to the half back spot. Not only would their personnel be unprepared for the read option, if you do it quickly enough, you create gaping holes. This combats some of the ways defenses take Kap's running out of the game and adds a wrinkle in preparation.

Not to mention, you're adding a world class athlete to an already athletic offense.

There has got to be a way to front load a contract for Harvin and Goldson so we can pay Kaep in 2014.
Originally posted by guillotine31:
I think people have overblown the Harvin as a Diva angle. He wants to get paid in line with his contributions. He's been doing it for a few years now, and he thinks he deserves a certain level of compensation. His value to the Vikings is understated because they made the playoffs behind the best RB performance in recent memory, and strong red zone contributions from their TE. They'd be dumb to trade him, and we'd be smart to consider it for a 2nd or 3rd. If he walks after this season without a contract we get a 3rd anyway. I'm sure Baalke and Co are considering it, since he would fill Moss' roster spot while providing Ginn's contribution. He also adds the fly sweep dimension to the offense, as well as formation flexibility. For example:

We could come out of the huddle with Harvin, Crabtree, Walker (or Celek), Miller and Davis at the eligible positions. Start off with just Miller in the back field and motion Harvin in to the half back spot. Not only would their personnel be unprepared for the read option, if you do it quickly enough, you create gaping holes. This combats some of the ways defenses take Kap's running out of the game and adds a wrinkle in preparation.

Not to mention, you're adding a world class athlete to an already athletic offense.

There has got to be a way to front load a contract for Harvin and Goldson so we can pay Kaep in 2014.

Rather, he just wants to get paid. And while there's certainly nothing wrong with that (this is America after all), looking at his contributions objectively I do not see where his past performance merits the kind of money he's asking for ($8-10 mil per year). As I said in another thread, he has never cracked 1,000 yards receiving. So, he is essentially saying that he wants to be paid like a top ten wideout although he does not have top ten numbers.

On top of that he's a major injury risk. He only played nine games last year, and has played a full season only ONCE his entire career.

Major red flag.

However, the second comment I bolded makes sense. Give up the 3rd, rent him for a year and see what happens. If he pans out great, then we can talk an extension. If not, oh well.
[ Edited by baltien on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:17 PM ]

Nope but due to his rawness I see him at the 20 range. I am more partial to Justin Hunter myself.

Nope but due to his rawness I see him at the 20 range. I am more partial to Justin Hunter myself.

Not another finesse WR. We need a big physical WR please !!!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Dude wants Megatron money............no thanks
Originally posted by 9moon:
Tempting but I'd say NO to Percy... Look, if the guy can't be happy at Minnesota (and they don't really have lots of weapons like we do) w/ his role, then he'll hate playing for us.. Aside AP, their offense calls for his #s more than anybody else.. so if he can't be happy there, then I doubt that he'll be happy here..

sometimes winning is enough to make these players happy

You think all 14 picks make the team? Trade up
Originally posted by dyNASTYmode:

You think all 14 picks make the team? Trade up

^ Exactly
Share 49ersWebzone