There are 206 users in the forums

Geek's Mock Plan V4.0

I like it. Good job. I got a few issues though.

1.Don't know why you would keep Leonard Davis though. Rather have a young mauler or younger, potential-filled player in general. Think about how Boone got where he is....

2. You over paid Ricky Jean. He is ok as a rotational guy, and he worth keeping around. If someone wants to pay him 4 Mil a to be a back-up they can have him.

3. I agree with your Goodwin/Center Future situation. Goodwin is the weak link on the OL. He's got it mentally, but he is a liability physically. A yonger guy could learn alot from him. If we could resign him for less, and allow him to help groom the next guy. I'd be willing to draft Center as high as the 3rd round. Goodwin can stay (for the right price) to ease this transition. We need a new guy for 2015, or in case of injury. Not sold on Kilgore yet either.

4. I like you emphasis on ST in later rounds. It is 1/3 of the game. We need more options at KR/PR.

5. Seems a bit high to DE Taylor in the 3rd.

4. Agree that something could be done with our #4 ILB spot. We miss Constanzo (sp?) We need a ST stud here and Goodson isn't it. Why do you think Larry Grant needs to be replaced? He is a great #3. Draft a guy to go here--5th round or later. We need Constanzo #2. By the way, Constanzo was a UDFA. Brandon Siler is too old and I can't see him being much of a contributer on STs.

5. I like the two first picks on defense--attacking both ends of our 2012 achillis heel--pass rush and coverage. Getting rid of Haralson makes one of those first two picks almost mandatory.

6. I'm not in love with Dobbs, but if he is cheap and can play two positions.....I don't see the need to cut him. There is no savings there. I CAN see him gone because we draft or sign a more legit #3 TE, or draft-sign a more legit DE for the rotation. Tuku can do the same thing anyways.

Very realistic with D. Walker's deal. Of course he could ask for more and leave.

Brad Seely needs to do some damn homework this offseason.
I like it, I was thinking Taylor could be an olb that could keep some miles off of Aldon.
Overall good plan.

However, I wouldn't resign Leonard Davis. We have 14 draft picks to address his roster spot. I don't think it's wise to release David Akers, but we should draft Dustin Hopkins in the 5th or 6th. I'd let Jonathan Goodwin play out the remainder of his contract as well, but I'd understand if we released him. I do think Kilgore is ready. Plus there are guys we can pick up in the 4th - 7th who can play OG and C. Totally agree with the extensions. I'm ok with a 3rd for Alex, but I think we can get a 2nd. Your FA plan is a very good one. But that would be too much for Sammie Lee Hill. Plus if we got him I doubt JH & Co. will have him playing anything outside the 3 technique, probably more 0, 2i, and 1 technique. I'm not sure that the Giants will let Hixon go though. Would love to have Josh as a back-up.

We have 14 picks in the upcoming draft. I know we probably are gonna make some deals but I doubt as many as you think. I haven't released my mock yet (though I'm tempted). I wanna get a good look at the combines first amd make comparisons with my list of porential draftees. But I strongly believe our 1st two picks will be along the D-line - an hair apparent to Justin Smith (who I think has two years left) and a real interior 0 technique NT, respectively. But unless we trade up Alex Okafor will be out of our reach. He won't last past pick 25. And I suspect that if we move up in the 1st it'll be for someone like Sheldon Richardson or Sharrif Floyd.

I feel you on Logan Ryan, but I like David Amerson better. I think we'll get a 2nd for Alex. And with one of our 2nd picks I have us taking the bigger, more physical, Amerson. With offenses neutralize Aldon by getting the ball out fast we need bigger more physical corners to beat up these WR at the LOS to give Aldon a split second longer to get home. Besides, I think Ryan will go in the 1st 2 or three picks in the 2nd, well out of our reach unles we trade up.

Cannot agree with D.J. Swearinger and Travis Frederick. To me, Bacarri Rambo is THE guy we need to get with our first pick of the 3rd. He is the real deal, a mirror image of Dashon Goldson (and could play SS). Rambo is far better than Swearinger. In fact, I'm kind of hoping he don't do well at the combine. His stock fell a little after the senior bowl, but I'm noticing he's beginning to rise a little. So I'm hoping he has an average to below average showing at the combine to keep him in our reach. If his stock rises to 2nd round projections I'd say that he'd be worth the reach (especially if we don't re-sign Goldson) and we can still get a big physical CB in the 3rd (Blidi Wreh-Wilson or Tharold Simon. And David Amerson very much could still fall to us in the 3rd too). And we do not need to take a G/C here. Plus, Frederick WILL NOT play C in the NFL. Besides, we have a bigger hole at OT depth than OG depth. We can address this in later rounds. I'd look for a big physical WR here. I definitely understand the DE pick.

You must like South Carolina or something . Ace Sanders would be a horrible reach here . 5-8, 176? I don't think so.!!! Too small and light in the ass. Kwame Geathers would be an intriguing pick here. In fact he was one of the players I thought long and hard about picking here. He'd definitely be available here. But I see us addressing his spot with one of our 1st two picks, so I think a OT here is best. But I don't disagree with the pick.

Michael Williams isn't a bad pick, but if we don't re-sign Walker I think we draft an H-back TE here with a similar skill set and versatility as Walker. Besides, we have a guy on our roster with Michael Williams exact skill set - Garrett Celek. Besides, at 269 pounds Michael Williams will be way too much of a project. He'll need to shed about 15 pounds. That's not an easy thing to do, especially given what we know about JH's rookie camps. I have another TE in mind here.

Cannot argue with a K in the 6th.

I like a RB in the 7th, but I'm not sure we need a replacement for Brandon Jacobs. I never thought we needed him in the first place. But I do have us taking a RB with one of our 7th's. And I'm sure we can get Latavius Murray of the FA street. I doubt he'll be drafted.

Like I said, overall good plan.
Originally posted by jimrat:
Love the Okafor pick, have him bulk up a little bit and have him rotate with Mcdonald.

Like it!

Dobbs and Tuk have done zero to keep them. We NEED DLine rotation guys that can actually play. IF those 2 were so valuable WHY didn't hey ee more action before they got hurt. Drop kick 'em and get players who can contribute immediately.

Really like the Sammy Lee Hill pick-up. I think he'd fit right in. NEVER been a fan of JoshJ - we can do better for sure. He couldn't make the grade lsat year and he wn't this upcoming camp either.

I like Okafor BUT I'd also like a real DE to learn from Justin that can contribute like Alson did his first season.

Good mock - like Sturgis. Do you think we'll ave to move up mor to get him?
Some FA I'd like us to get are:

WR/KR/PR/DB Julian Edelmen 26 NE Hometown: Redwood City, CA

LB/ST Ace Lorenzo Alexander 29 WAS Hometown: Oakland, CA

Both would be cheap and upgrade out ST drastically. Both are young and hometown guys
Best offseason mock I've seen so far! Good job!
RJF for 4 mil a year???? that is crazy overpriced. I don't think this guy has proved he deserves that kind of money
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Geek's Post-Super Bowl Mock:

R3: Travis Frederick - C/OG - Wisconsin (via Chiefs)
*With a high cap figure, Goodwin will most likely be cut. I'm not sold on Kilgore, and I don't think the 49ers are either. Frederick has ability to be a solid starting center in this league.

I disagree completely, Frederick is an offensive guard at the next level, doesn't have enough mobility to play center, additionally, with the track record of recent Wisconsin offensive linemen..

So how does a Center need more mobility when a Guard pulls and still has to get to the second level??
Originally posted by Kolohe:
So how does a Center need more mobility when a Guard pulls and still has to get to the second level??

Is this a serious question?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Is this a serious question?

??????
One of the most important aspects to a good offense is a cohesive O-line. I don't agree with getting rid of Goodwin at all. Keep that line in tact.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
One of the most important aspects to a good offense is a cohesive O-line. I don't agree with getting rid of Goodwin at all. Keep that line in tact.

I agree, but would like to see a center developed behind Goodwin who might take over soon. It is the same issue as NT...yes, there are better NTs out there than Sopoaga but are they likely to sign one? Would a rookie be likely to be as good? Not a risk I would want to take.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Geek, your resign-release lists are excellent. Goodwin may seem to be someone to keep but his age is too big a factor and the Niners have to start giving serious thought to Kilgore or Looney. I see Geathers name in many 49er mocks. Swearinger is another name that is drawing attention. Thanks for your time and effort, it is appreciated.

Looney has been practicing at all 3 interior line positions, with the most reps coming at center. I think they're grooming him to replace Goodwin.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

I agree, but would like to see a center developed behind Goodwin who might take over soon. It is the same issue as NT...yes, there are better NTs out there than Sopoaga but are they likely to sign one? Would a rookie be likely to be as good? Not a risk I would want to take.

Agree with both of you. I also wanna keep the O-line intact and draft a young C or Guard that could later be moved to C.
Share 49ersWebzone