There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Geek's Mock Plan V4.0

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Geek's Post-Super Bowl Mock:

Resign - $15M in salaries

Ricky Jean-Francois - NT/DE (3 year, $12M)
Tarvares Gooden - ILB (2 year, $2M)
Dashon Goldson - FS (5 year, $38M)
Delanie Walker - TE (3 year, $10M)
Leonard Davis - OT/OG (1 year, $1M)

Release - $12M in savings

David Akers - K
Jonathan Goodwin - C/OG
Demarcus Dobbs - TE/DE
Chad Hall - WR
Parys Haralson - DE/OLB

Extend/Restructure - $7M in savings

Justin Smith - DT/DE (Extend until 2015; 1 additional year)
Vernon Davis - TE (Extend until 2017; 2 additional years)
Mike Iupati - OG (Extend until 2018; 4 additional years)

Trade - $7.5M in savings

Alex Smith for Chiefs 3rd round pick and conditional 2014 draft pick

Free Agency - $6M in salaries

Sammie Lee Hill - NT/DE - Lions (4 year, $11M)
*6-4, 320 lb, Hill has a great year for the Lions off the bench. 17 QB hurries, 3 PDs and 15 tackles, Hill does a nice job with double teams and getting pressure on the QB.

Domenik Hixon - WR/PR - Giants (2 year, $3M)
*Stepped in nicely for the Giants when injuries occurred in their WR corps. Nice #3 veteran receiver with punt return experience. At 6-2, he's got good height as well.

Josh Johnson - QB - Browns (1 year, $650K)
*Competes with Tolzien for the backup gig.

Brandon Siler - ILB - Chiefs (3 year, $2.75M)
*Strong special teams player and experience at ILB in the 3-4 D. Replaces Larry Grant.

NFL Draft -

R1: Alex Okafor - DE/OLB - Texas
*We need a three-pronged approach for our OLB pass rush - due to fatigue and injuries. Ravens were successful when Suggs was injured with Courtney Upshaw.

R2: Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers
*Very physical defensive back that will provide competition and improvement in the secondary.

R3: Travis Frederick - C/OG - Wisconsin (via Chiefs)
*With a high cap figure, Goodwin will most likely be cut. I'm not sold on Kilgore, and I don't think the 49ers are either. Frederick has ability to be a solid starting center in this league.

R3: D.J. Swearinger - S - South Carolina (via Panthers)
*Eventual replacement for Whitner, Swearinger is a solid tackler but has great cover ability.

R3: Devin Taylor - DE - South Carolina
*6-7 DE with the frame to eventually fill out as a 3-4 DE. He'll be a limited rotational player in his first year, but contribute on special teams.

*Trade 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks for Jets 4th round draft pick*

R4: Ace Sanders - WR/PR - South Carolina (via Jets)
*Speedy WR that adds an explosive element to our offense.

R4: Kwame Geathers - DT/NT - Georgia (comp)
*Developmental nose guard that adds a HUGE plugger in our defense.

R5: Michael Williams - TE - Alabama (via Colts)
*Nate Byham type pick here - strong blocker with capable hands. Possession TE.

*Trade 6th and 7th round picks for Saints 6th round pick

R6: Caleb Sturgis - K - Florida (via Saints)
*Replacement for David Akers.

R7: Latavius Murray - RB - UCF (via Bengals)
*Replaces Brandon Jacobs on the roster.

R7: Offensive Line (comp)

R7: Wide Receiver (comp)

Depth Chart -

QB: Kaepernick/Johnson*/Tolzien
RB: Gore/Hunter/James/Murray*
FB: Miller/Dixon
TE: Davis/Walker/Williams*

WR: Crabtree/Jenkins
WR: Manningham/Williams
WR: Hixon*/Sanders*

LT: Staley
LG: Iupati/Looney
C: Kilgore/Frederick*
RG: Boone
RT: Davis/Davis

LE: Smith/Hill*
NT: Jean-Francois/Geathers*
RE: McDonald/Taylor*

OLB: Smith/Okafor*
ILB: Willis/Siler*
ILB: Bowman/Gooden
OLB: Brooks/Fleming/Johnson

CB: Rogers/Ryan*
CB: Brown/Culliver/Cox
FS: Goldson/Spillman
SS: Whitner/Swearinger*

ST: Sturgis, Lee, Jennings
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Why do you think Dobbs should be cut? And is 4M the average you think Ricky is going to get on the market. Just seems high to me

I like that your draft focuses on defense more.
[ Edited by toeshawn on Feb 9, 2013 at 11:41 PM ]
Originally posted by GEEK:

*With a high cap figure, Goodwin will most likely be cut. I'm not sold on Kilgore, and I don't think the 49ers are either. Frederick has ability to be a solid starting center in this league.

I disagree completely, Frederick is an offensive guard at the next level, doesn't have enough mobility to play center, additionally, with the track record of recent Wisconsin offensive linemen..
Geek, your resign-release lists are excellent. Goodwin may seem to be someone to keep but his age is too big a factor and the Niners have to start giving serious thought to Kilgore or Looney. I see Geathers name in many 49er mocks. Swearinger is another name that is drawing attention. Thanks for your time and effort, it is appreciated.
Not bad. I like Okafor, Swearinger, Ryan, and Geathers. Sanders would be a nice addition, too.

Hixon is definitely a potential bargain in free agency.

My only gripe would be that DL should be prioritized earlier, and I don't like Taylor at all as a 3-4 DE. I think we can get pass rush help later on.
Good draft! I would be happy with this draft if they picked up a NT in FAcy or NT would need to be a higher pick to replace Sop.

Would keep Dobbs over L Davis! There were many plays where L Davis seemed to be helping the D by getting in the RBs way...slow mover. Dobbs is versatile, cheap and an above average contributer when asked.

Also, if you drop Goodwin and the rookie doesn't pan out? Ouch! I believe many underestimate the importance of this position. That said, I hope they have a plan for replacing Goodwin as I would like to see someone equal to the rest of the line in power...then the run game would be really unbelieveable!
Add depth in OLB/DE/DT through FA. Draft top line Center on 1st round for the future. Keep Goodwin one more year. Then draft future DB starter or tall/big TE in 2nd and draft future DL in the 3rd. Then on the 4th future back/wr with versaility to return.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by toeshawn:
Why do you think Dobbs should be cut? And is 4M the average you think Ricky is going to get on the market. Just seems high to me

Outside of special teams, Dobbs has not been a factor at TE or DE. He shows promise in preseason and then completely disappears in his opportunities. I want a true TE (Michael Williams) and true DE (Sammie Hill).

If the 49ers expect to start at NT and rotate at DE, then I don't see 4M that bad of a cap figure. With more teams running the 3-4 and the 49ers coming off a SB visit, it could somewhat inflate his value. But more realistically, it'll be between 3-4M a year.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Good draft! I would be happy with this draft if they picked up a NT in FAcy or NT would need to be a higher pick to replace Sop.

Would keep Dobbs over L Davis! There were many plays where L Davis seemed to be helping the D by getting in the RBs way...slow mover. Dobbs is versatile, cheap and an above average contributer when asked.

Also, if you drop Goodwin and the rookie doesn't pan out? Ouch! I believe many underestimate the importance of this position. That said, I hope they have a plan for replacing Goodwin as I would like to see someone equal to the rest of the line in power...then the run game would be really unbelieveable!

Kilgore, Looney, and Frederick have all seen action at Center. If Kilgore is shakey, then Looney is up, and so on. Again, think Adam Snyder from last year. Boone was an outstanding roster move. Trust the staff if they decide to cut Goodwin.

Well Dobbs and Davis play different positions, and continuity along the o-line is important. I know I cut Goodwin, but Kilgore and Looney were both part of the team last year.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I disagree completely, Frederick is an offensive guard at the next level, doesn't have enough mobility to play center, additionally, with the track record of recent Wisconsin offensive linemen..

So would you accept Brian Schwenke from Cal over Fredericks? He was the only C at the Senior Bowl who played well. Taking him in the third would be a bit of a reach.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
From what I've read about Williams is he has great size but struggled catching in senior bowl practices, that true? Looking at his stats he was never a big part of Alabamas passing game, is he someone you see more as a blocker for jumbo packages?
Kilgore, Looney, and Frederick have all seen action at Center. If Kilgore is shakey, then Looney is up, and so on. Again, think Adam Snyder from last year. Boone was an outstanding roster move. Trust the staff if they decide to cut Goodwin.

Well Dobbs and Davis play different positions, and continuity along the o-line is important. I know I cut Goodwin, but Kilgore and Looney were both part of the team last year.

The coaches will likely know, as they seemed to with Boone, who is ready to step in at center. So I would be fine if they go with Kigore or Looney, but relying on that without being a fly on their coaches room wall(?) seems risky--although I understand this is all just for fun. Good mock none the less!

Dobbs and L Davis major contribution last year was to provide extra beef in the backfield in blocking situations--I prefer Dobbs for youth and ability to move. I was very happy when they picked up Davis last year but then he wasn't able to play his way into shape...or maybe this is what he is...slow!
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Love the Okafor pick, have him bulk up a little bit and have him rotate with Mcdonald.
Originally posted by toeshawn:

Outside of special teams, Dobbs has not been a factor at TE or DE. He shows promise in preseason and then completely disappears in his opportunities. I want a true TE (Michael Williams) and true DE (Sammie Hill).

If the 49ers expect to start at NT and rotate at DE, then I don't see 4M that bad of a cap figure. With more teams running the 3-4 and the 49ers coming off a SB visit, it could somewhat inflate his value. But more realistically, it'll be between 3-4M a year.

There's NO CHANCE that RJF commands $4million. On the open market or from the 49ers. Right now he's a backup at best.

The preoccupation with JJ at QB is unsupportable. Every one in the organization understands his value: Not high. He will not be back. The Niners tried him last year and know that he cannot make their roster. It's a spot better occupied by a developmental guy.

I like your emphasis on DE and DB help. I would not be so supportive of Frederick in the 3rd. It's a bit risky dumping Goodwin without a clearly established back-up. Fredeick is not that guy. But, as you say, if the organization cuts him, one has to trust that they know what they're doing. I do think that Goddwin is the weakest player on the OL, so it could be that they bring some other veteran in. Otherwise I suspect Goodwin will be back for one more year. I'd also prefer Scwhenke in a later round.
No Dobbs or Tukufaku? I'm not sure if they don't retain Ian Williams. Okafor is a nice pick. We need some TE help if we can't nail down Walker. And it seems like you like S. Carolina football a lot