There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Good Article on Lattimore

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/2/8/3965328/marcus-lattimore-injury-2013-nfl-draft

Interesting read
Honestly, he is a guy I want and I've stated it before. Along with Tyran Mathieu, these are the guys I'd look at in the 3rd round and lower. The only question is at what point do we pull the trigger? I'd be interested to know had we not have drafted Frank Gore at the top of the third round, where would he have landed? Although it's hard to tell at the moment, where was he projected to go in 2005? That would at least give an idea of when we should at least begin considering a back like Lattimore.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Honestly, he is a guy I want and I've stated it before. Along with Tyran Mathieu, these are the guys I'd look at in the 3rd round and lower. The only question is at what point do we pull the trigger? I'd be interested to know had we not have drafted Frank Gore at the top of the third round, where would he have landed? Although it's hard to tell at the moment, where was he projected to go in 2005? That would at least give an idea of when we should at least begin considering a back like Lattimore.

I would really like to take a chance on Lattimore too and while lots of teams probably have a 4th-5th round grade on him, I think it just takes ONE TEAM to take him earlier than that, and one team will, which is why I have us taking him with our last pick of the 3rd round. Risky yes, but it's not like 3rd rounders are usually all that successful anyway, and the 49ers can afford to take the chance, because they are relatively stacked with talent and won't fall apart if the pick doesn't work out.
I would pull the trigger with one of our thirds if hes there. Especially if we get the comps were supposed to.
I would absolutely not use a 3rd round on him.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I would absolutely not use a 3rd round on him.

All the teams that passed on gore said the same thing.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
All the teams that passed on gore said the same thing.

Exception not the rule. This is second blown knee in two years. If you would use a 3rd rd on broken merchandise I'm glad your not Baalke. A rb is a luxury at this point anyway and we have more pressing needs at 3rd.
[ Edited by eonblue on Feb 10, 2013 at 12:46 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
All the teams that passed on gore said the same thing.

Exception not the rule.

Mcgahee has 8,000 career yards.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Mcgahee has 8,000 career yards.

Alright well lets use a 3rd round on a luxury that wont be able to go to the combine, or training camp, and probably won't be able to start this season because a handful of players were able to defy the odds.. Picking a healthy legitimate S, CB, OLB, DT, NT, or C wouldn't make sense.
[ Edited by eonblue on Feb 10, 2013 at 12:58 AM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Mcgahee has 8,000 career yards.

Alright well lets use a 3rd round on a luxury that wont be able to go to the combine, or training camp, and probably won't be able to start this season because a handful of players were able to defy the odds.. Picking a healthy legitimate S, CB, OLB, DT, NT, or C wouldn't make sense.

We will have three third round picks. we need to eventually draft gores replacement, and i see no problem with spending a third round flyer on a stud like Lattimore. He could sit the bench for a year and fully recover. It would be an ideal situation for both partys involved. If he didnt have the injury he would be a top ten pick easy, and he is already lifting. I would not be supprised at all if he is ready to go by week one, but it would be ideal for him to sit a year and rehab fully.
If he hadn't gotten hurt he would have been a early first rounder. The guy is that good. Reminds me of Adrian Peterson. McGahee, who was regarded as an early 1st rounder went late 1st after his injury. Lattimore could be taken in the first or anywhere in the 2nd.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
If he hadn't gotten hurt he would have been a early first rounder. The guy is that good. Reminds me of Adrian Peterson. McGahee, who was regarded as an early 1st rounder went late 1st after his injury. Lattimore could be taken in the first or anywhere in the 2nd.

I agree. He may not fall to the third. If he did it would be robbery.
Understanding how talented Lattimore is and how much value he represents the question that comes to my mind is why would the 49ers draft him before the late rounds? Gore/Hunter/LMJ are all we need at RB and with needs on the DL, secondary, WR, K, I see no reason to draft another RB to sit on the inactive list each week?
Originally posted by matt49er:
Understanding how talented Lattimore is and how much value he represents the question that comes to my mind is why would the 49ers draft him before the late rounds? Gore/Hunter/LMJ are all we need at RB and with needs on the DL, secondary, WR, K, I see no reason to draft another RB to sit on the inactive list each week?

1. Injurys do Happen(see Hunter)
2. Hunter is coming off an acheles injury. Who knows if/when he will fully recover.
3. While gore is still a top back he is getting up there in age.
4. LMJ is not, nor will he ever be the type of back i want to carry the load every down.
5. Even with the three backs, we carried Jacobs nearly all season on the inactive list
6. In the 3rd round Lattimore offers extreme value.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Exception not the rule. This is second blown knee in two years. If you would use a 3rd rd on broken merchandise I'm glad your not Baalke. A rb is a luxury at this point anyway and we have more pressing needs at 3rd.
It depends on how many 3rds we have. I don't know what formula is used to award comp picks, but if we were to get one in the third, that would leave us with three third rounders. If this scenario were to happen and we have already drafted a DE, NT, CB or FS, and WR, are you telling me you'd still pass on a talent like Lattimore at the bottom of the third? The above scenario is optimistic, but not totally impossible.