There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

CB Prospects

Outside of Milliner, who are your guys' favorite CB prospects? I've been looking at a few and I think my favorite is becoming Xavier Rhodes out of Florida State. He's big (6'2", 215) and plays aggressive man coverage. I love that in all of his scouting reports his weaknesses seem to be that he is "too physical". In my opinion, if you have to have a weakness, that's not a terrible one.

Of course, he seems to be rising and may not be available, but I'm just curious. I've been focusing so much time on D-Line prospects early in the draft that I don't know much about the early-round corners.
Jonathan Banks, my favorite CB in the draft. I also like Marcus Trufant a lot as well.

As far as Rhodes, I've heard it said that some expect him to move to free safety in the NFL, eitherway he's got a nice combination of skill, size and athleticism.
Jordan Poyer, 7 INTs at Oregon State in 2012, in my top 3 CBs with Banks and Milliner. Also like some 2nd and 3rd rd guys like Leon McFadden(San Diego State), Will Davis(Utah State), Johnny Adams(Mich State), Robert Alford(SE Louisiana), and Logan Ryan(Rutgers).

Edit: And Rhodes is also high on my list. My 4th CB. Desmond Trufant is my 5th best CB, likely 1st rd pick come april.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Feb 9, 2013 at 1:35 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Jonathan Banks, my favorite CB in the draft. I also like Marcus Trufant a lot as well.

As far as Rhodes, I've heard it said that some expect him to move to free safety in the NFL, eitherway he's got a nice combination of skill, size and athleticism.

I love Banks too, and he might actually be more attainable towards the end of the first. For some reason I've seen a lot of mocks without him even in the first.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Jordan Poyer, 7 INTs at Oregon State in 2012, in my top 3 CBs with Banks and Milliner. Also like some 2nd and 3rd rd guys like Leon McFadden(San Diego State), Will Davis(Utah State), Johnny Adams(Mich State), Robert Alford(SE Louisiana), and Logan Ryan(Rutgers).

Edit: And Rhodes is also high on my list. My 4th CB. Desmond Trufant is my 5th best CB, likely 1st rd pick come april.

Poyer intrigues me too. I guess I like the size of Banks and Rhodes as guys bigger than what the 49ers already have.
I'm a HUGE fan of Jordan Poyer the Kid has great work ethics but obviously the 40 yard dash is huge where these CB draft value are
[ Edited by Norwalks_Best on Feb 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM ]
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I'm a HUGE fan of Jordan Poyer the Kid has great work ethics but obviously the 40 yard dash is huge where these CB draft value are

He has swag too
Xavier Rhodes by far is my favorite.

Heres a ranking of the Cbs this draft. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/probe.php?genpos=CB&draftyear=2013&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC
[ Edited by eonblue on Feb 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM ]
we need ballskills at CB and safety. I'm tired of these DBs that throw their shoulders trying to break up a catch. just swat the ball and no one is gona catch it.... or pick it.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
we need ballskills at CB and safety. I'm tired of these DBs that throw their shoulders trying to break up a catch. just swat the ball and no one is gona catch it.... or pick it.

Thats what makes the seattle DBs so effective.
thy're playing the throwing lane and its really effective against physical receivers where you don't want to allow them to make a play on the ball. i mean it just got sad to watch our secondary get beat and the receivers make a play and all the safety could do was slide in with a weak tackle. i love me some tackles but i also like deflected passes and picks a little more.
[ Edited by eonblue on Feb 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM ]
robert alford is going to be a real good corner..i hope the niners dont reject him just because he is only 5-9
Tharold Simon of LSU and Melvin White of Louisiana Lafayette are my favorite "big" corners that we could target in the mid rounds
A late round guy is my favorite, Josh Johnson of Purdue. He was overshadowed by Kawann Short and the corner opposite him, Ricardo Allen, but he's a gamer. Lined up on the other teams best WRs most games. Shut down Aaron Dobson of Marshall when they played. Held Tyler Eifert to 2 coaches even though he gave up about 7 inches (Eifert finished with 4 catches, the other CB was responsible for the big plays). He has great ball skills and could see him going in the 5th-6th round area. Has experience returning punts also.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
1st-3rd round
Jonathan Banks
Desmond Trufant
Jordan Poyer
David Amerson

4th-7th round
Tharold Simon
Travis Howard
Aaron Hester
Marcus Cromartie
Trey Wilson
of coourse the corners niners take need to be able to play in niners defensive scheme...that means, i think, guys who can play more man then zone
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home