LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

2Legit's 1st Ever Mock Draft

The moment you've all been waiting for. The guy you don't know with like 50 posts, 2Legit2Quit unveils his first ever (posted) NFL Mock Draft!

It seems that projecting trades is becoming the popular thing to do, and I know trading will most definitely happen (especially with 14 picks). However for the purposes of this mock I'm going to abstain from trading. I'm also not going to add in any compensatory picks, because I'm only going to the 5th round (It's a crapshoot in the first 2 rounds, it's ridiculous in the last 2). Yeah, there are a lot of arbitrary decisions being made for this mock. Here it goes.

Round 1: Desmond Trufant CB Washington
Most of you will probably stop reading here and castigate me for not picking Datone Jones. I like Datone, but I think Trufant is a better CB prospect than Jones is DE prospect. Shoot me.

Round 2: David Amerson FS N.C. State
A guy that played CB in college and was considered a 1st round (possibly top 10) prospect heading into the year. He was exposed by Tennessee and their pair of star receivers and thus has taken a major hit to his stock. However, his major issues are his hip fluidity which is tight due to his size, and a penchant for gambling. He does his best Nate Clements impression on double moves. Amerson is 6' 3" 195 though and has fantastic hands for a DB (13 INTs in 2011. 13!). This guy could become a ballhawking safety to pair with Whitner in the event Goldson can't be retained, or if Goldson is signed long-term, can make Whitner expendable, kicking Goldson over to SS and giving the 9ers a pair of turnover causing machines in the back-end.

Round 3a: Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee Tech
I was sorely tempted to put another webzone favorite in this spot. I love Quinton Patton, and he'd be a great selection should he be available here, but I think that Da'Rick Rogers has the potential to be an absolute steal in the mid-rounds and a star player for us in the future. He's physically talented enough to be a day 1 selection, and no one doubts that. His off the field concerns will cause him to drop, but I trust the locker-room and coaching staff of the 9ers to keep Rogers in line, making him an absolute steal.

Round 3b: William Gholston DE Michigan State
He has the size, length, strength and athleticism to play a solid 5-tech. His run defense is not in question, but he needs to show more as a pass rusher. In the NFL he'd need to add a little more weight (6' 6" and 275 right now). I think Gholston can make an impact on the defensive line rotation immediately, spelling Ray McDonald and Justin Smith on run or pass downs, and with Tomsula coaching him up he can become a potental starter down the road. Not necessarily Cowboy's heir apparent, but solid value at this spot in the draft.

Round 4: Michael Buchanon OLB Illinois
Situational edge rusher. Competition with Fleming and Johnson for a 4th OLB spot behind Haralson. More depth for the front 7.

Round 5a: Vince Williams ILB Florida State
Our Larry Grant replacement. Typical big-bodied thumper at ILB. Should make a few wow hits on special team throughout the season.

Round 5b: Philip Lutzenkirchen TE/H-Back Auburn
Not the most physically talented guy, but he has experience lining up as a fullback and wingback as well as an inline TE. He blocked for Newton during the national championship run a couple years ago. Very good hands, but not a ton of receptions throughout his career. Had a phenomenal amount of TD receptions given the fact he only caught like 40-50 balls during his career (like 15 TDs though). A few game-winning TDs I remember watching. Solid RZ target. Anyway, not a true replacement for Delanie, should Delanie go, but someone who at least brings a similar skill set and versatility. Could compete with Celek for 3rd TE spot should DWalk stay.
Not bad but I think the d line needs more than Gholston in the 3rd round.
lamontb is right man , we need more help than that on the front line. i think a good move would be to move back into the 2nd for 2 DE's. the 1st pick is very good
pass! trufant is a complete reach at 31...amerson is a big risk in the 2nd round...i like rogers....and i think gholston would be a big reach also. u dont address the D-line enough and you didnt fix the kicking problem. maybe if i saw your FA signings i would understand your draft better. who do you expect to keep, let go, and sign on the market?
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Feb 8, 2013 at 11:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone