LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

My first 49er 7 round mock, what do you think?

Cut a few resign a few. If I had my way I would resign Goldson, Grant, RJF, Sop and Walker as long as they were happy to come back on our terms then I would resign otherwise goodbye. I know it won't happen just like this but we are so damn close to a ring they may just agree to our terms.

Cut the rest

I have mostly D being drafted as we still have AJ Jenkins to hopefully step into the first team and Hunter, Manningham and Williams to come back from injury

On Free agents pick up an offensive weapon or 2 at WR and/or TE and then we should be ready for the Draft

We'll obviously do a lot of trades with 14/15 picks and with having a great team already I think we'll take some gambles on the high ceiling, high risk 3rd round picks

Trade Alex Smith to the Chiefs with our #96 and #152 picks and pick up their #34

Then trade our #64, #128, #160, #214 for both Miami's third round picks. This allows Miami to either fill their needs with 3 picks in the first two rounds or they can package 1 or 2 of their picks and get back into the first round.

(In other words it's a hell of deal for Miami who don't have many late round picks, who'll gain earlier and later round picks)

1st 32 Jonathan Hankins NT Georgia Tech – (predicted falling here in a few mock drafts and if he does lets go for it. Some predict he could be picked as high as 15 but with so many QB needy teams some guys will fall)

2nd 34 Kawann Short DT LSU (Understudy to Smith, a high ceiling and very aggressive. We could ease him in when Smith is tired or when the game is out of reach for other teams)

2nd 64 – 276 Trade for Miami's 76 and 82

3rd 74 (CAR) – Tyrann Matthieu CB (The honey badger, troubled past worth the gamble if for nickname only)

3rd 77 (Miami) – Marcus Lattimore RB(could be a steal if willing to wait for him to comeback from injury and why wouldn't we at RB we're stacked)

3rd 82 (Miami) – Baccari Rambo FS (move Goldson to SS and fill this guy in at free safety.)

3rd 96 Trade for Kansas 2nd round

4th 128 Trade for Miami's 76 and 82

4th Comp – Brian Schwenke C (Good OL depth to pick up, can never do enough to protect CK7. Be honest forgot about this guy until I read ninerjohns cheers bud)

5th 152 (Indy) - Trade for Kansas 2nd round

5th 160 – Trade for Miami's 76 and 82

6th 172 – Marquise Goodwin WR and KR Longhorns (Olympic athlete, quick could take AJ's snaps if he's still rubbish)

6th 189 – Chris Gregg TE Arkansas (resign Walker and pick this guy in for depth, could become a good project.)

7th 224 - TJ Barnes NT Georgia Tech (cover on D-Line and he's a freak 345 pound some stats say he's been as big as 378)

7th Comp – Etienne Sabino, OLB Ohio State (If he's still there we take him, some have him as undrafted, I'd be surprised if that was the case)

7th Comp – Dustin Hopkins K Florida State (Akers is goooooooooooooooooooooone)
[ Edited by smithc28 on Feb 7, 2013 at 8:30 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Lattimore is too much of a risk to take in the 3rd. I could live with him in the 5th/6th area.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM ]
Not everyone will heal like APeterson.

Lost me with all the trades - MOST unlikely.

REALLY like the first 2 picks.
Thoughts:
1) Hankins probably will be gone but solid pick if available. Could live with that.
2) Kawann Short goes to Purdue - not LSU. Good player but not sure he is worth moving way up into top of rd 2 for.
3) Dont like your 3rd rd picks. Matthieu is probably a 5th rd guy with issues. Lattimore should go in 4th-5th given his injury.
4) Would be shocked if Goodwin lasts until 6th rd.

Like that you addressed the DL and OL. I just think a better CB, and pass rushing OLB would make this a better draft.
I put together hurried mock drafts, but it appears you spend an inordinate amount of time on unlikeley trades and spent very little time on who to re sign or cut. For example if the Niners re sign RJF and Soap, (they take what the niners offer) you would not use pick 31 and 34 on DL.

You also need to look at the Salary CAP. the Niners cannot resign all of their FA's.

The niners need quality, you addressed this with moving up in round 2. However then you move down to take two 3's. Very confusing.
LOVE those 3rd rounders. The risk reward is off the charts but if we hit on 2 of the 3 its a huge plus. Not all that worried about Lattimore's knee's. AP knee injury was gross last year too but not as sick as him going for 2K yards. Honey Badger would be awesome covering the slot and doing returns. The guy is lightening in a bottle with the ball in his hands. Rambo, is another awesome name guy and is solid.

Also like the 1st two picks.

Not sure the Niners need another C/G project with Kilgore and Looney around but Schwenke is solid.

I think Hopkins will be gone before the 7th but we need to take a kicker.
1) Who is your first pick? Hankins from Ohio State, or Jenkins from GA? No Hankins from GA Tech.
2) Why do you have us drafting at #32? We have the 31st pick. SB is over
3) 2nd rd only goes through pick 63. Saints forfeit their 2nd rounder. This carries on down the draft
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
1) Who is your first pick? Hankins from Ohio State, or Jenkins from GA? No Hankins from GA Tech.
2) Why do you have us drafting at #32? We have the 31st pick. SB is over
3) 2nd rd only goes through pick 63. Saints forfeit their 2nd rounder. This carries on down the draft

LOL I didnt even catch the Hankins college mistake. Kind of a fail when the first two picks in his mock have incorrect colleges listed.
Love the fact that you went D-line and Secondary with the first three picks. I would be very satisfied with those first three alone.

Wouldn't use the third on Lattimore, I think we can get someone who is less of a risk there. You could trade up into the late 4th/early 5th to get him
I think any quasi-realistic mock will have to include a number of trade-ups...with perhaps as many as 15 picks (including whatever trade Baalke works for Alex), there's no reason not to use them to get better players. He'll end up with fewer picks overall, but they'll be a higher quality. Have to keep in mind not many rookies will actually make the roster, just as in 2012. I've seen a number of mocks using all 14 picks, but with few if any trade-ups. That's just not realistic...it'd also be helpful to have a good idea what FA's Baalke will re-sign and what players/positions he's apt to bring in. Understand it's hard to know that stuff, but before I'd do any mock, I'd have at least a pretty good idea. For example, I think it'd make a lot of sense to bring in a DL, a CB, possibly a WR and/or S. If this season didn't show us anything else, it was painfully obvious when Justin Smith went down that we need some more proven DL. I see Randy Starks out there, I'm going after him. He's got the size, strength and experience to be a huge asset to Fangio/Tomsula. Dude can play inside or out. The same thought holds true WRT the secondary...we need some upgrades back there. We have nothing close to a shutdown CB, and we need one. Bring in a Sean Smith, for example, just 25, he's entering his prime now and he has the size, cover skills, etc. to be more effective against the bigger WR's we face just about every week. If you do that, now maybe you go after one of the top DL and CB's early in the draft, again using the plethora of picks you have to trade up and get them. So, instead of a Jenkins, you get Jesse Williams, another guy who can play both inside and out. Then you grab one of the top CB's, maybe a Trufant, Xavier Rhodes or Logan Ryan. Same MO would apply in the rest of the early rds...if Baalke does that, he should come away with maybe 6 or so blue-chippers and still address the needs of his team. Those guys would then have a much better chance to actually make the roster and contribute. Make sense?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Not everyone will heal like APeterson.

Lost me with all the trades - MOST unlikely.

REALLY like the first 2 picks.

Yeah, and Lattimore blew both knees out.
Originally posted by kunged:
Love the fact that you went D-line and Secondary with the first three picks. I would be very satisfied with those first three alone.

Wouldn't use the third on Lattimore, I think we can get someone who is less of a risk there. You could trade up into the late 4th/early 5th to get him

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
LOL I didnt even catch the Hankins college mistake. Kind of a fail when the first two picks in his mock have incorrect colleges listed.

Ha, My copy and paste skills leave much to be desired. They looked right on Word
[ Edited by smithc28 on Feb 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM ]
Originally posted by smithc28:
Cut a few resign a few. If I had my way I would resign Goldson, Grant, RJF, Sop and Walker as long as they were happy to come back on our terms then I would resign otherwise goodbye. I know it won't happen just like this but we are so damn close to a ring they may just agree to our terms.

Cut the rest

I have mostly D being drafted as we still have AJ Jenkins to hopefully step into the first team and Hunter, Manningham and Williams to come back from injury

On Free agents pick up an offensive weapon or 2 at WR and/or TE and then we should be ready for the Draft

We'll obviously do a lot of trades with 14/15 picks and with having a great team already I think we'll take some gambles on the high ceiling, high risk 3rd round picks

Trade Alex Smith to the Chiefs with our #96 and #152 picks and pick up their #34

Then trade our #64, #128, #160, #214 for both Miami's third round picks. This allows Miami to either fill their needs with 3 picks in the first two rounds or they can package 1 or 2 of their picks and get back into the first round.

(In other words it's a hell of deal for Miami who don't have many late round picks, who'll gain earlier and later round picks)

1st 32 Jonathan Hankins NT Georgia Tech – (predicted falling here in a few mock drafts and if he does lets go for it. Some predict he could be picked as high as 15 but with so many QB needy teams some guys will fall)

2nd 34 Kawann Short DT LSU (Understudy to Smith, a high ceiling and very aggressive. We could ease him in when Smith is tired or when the game is out of reach for other teams)

2nd 64 – 276 Trade for Miami's 76 and 82

3rd 74 (CAR) – Tyrann Matthieu CB (The honey badger, troubled past worth the gamble if for nickname only)

3rd 77 (Miami) – Marcus Lattimore RB(could be a steal if willing to wait for him to comeback from injury and why wouldn't we at RB we're stacked)

3rd 82 (Miami) – Baccari Rambo FS (move Goldson to SS and fill this guy in at free safety.)

3rd 96 Trade for Kansas 2nd round

4th 128 Trade for Miami's 76 and 82

4th Comp – Brian Schwenke C (Good OL depth to pick up, can never do enough to protect CK7. Be honest forgot about this guy until I read ninerjohns cheers bud)

5th 152 (Indy) - Trade for Kansas 2nd round

5th 160 – Trade for Miami's 76 and 82

6th 172 – Marquise Goodwin WR and KR Longhorns (Olympic athlete, quick could take AJ's snaps if he's still rubbish)

6th 189 – Chris Gregg TE Arkansas (resign Walker and pick this guy in for depth, could become a good project.)

7th 224 - TJ Barnes NT Georgia Tech (cover on D-Line and he's a freak 345 pound some stats say he's been as big as 378)

7th Comp – Etienne Sabino, OLB Ohio State (If he's still there we take him, some have him as undrafted, I'd be surprised if that was the case)

7th Comp – Dustin Hopkins K Florida State (Akers is goooooooooooooooooooooone)

if we can land the #34 pick, i'd be pumped. Not sure if Rambo would still be there in late 3rd....He's late 2nd grade kind of guy IMO.....But other than that I think it's solid. We may have to take Hopkins in the 6th though......
Share 49ersWebzone