There are 60 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

is a starting caliber olb a priority

aldon smith had no sacks after dec 9---some was due to justin smith's injury i am sure but i wonder how much was due to his wearing down from full time duty as a starting olb..would the pass rush be better if smith returned to being a pass rush specialst?

even if he starts in 2013, the niners magement could well focus on another pass rusher..remember they reportedly had targeted bruce irvin in 2012...

if so, some may see Eziekel as the Ansah, but I think Dion Jordan is a better player (player, not ahtlete) and would be worth trading up for
Starting caliber? Not as much as the DL and secondary needs. Haralson should be back next season, I'd like to see them draft another OLB that could spell Aldon down the road so he's not out there every single snap.

In general I'd like to see a systemic rotation of players on defense, rotating through 3 or 4 DE's, 3 OLB's, 2 NT's, every single game to minimize wear and tear.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM ]
Like Phoenix mentioned we have Harlason back, but i do think we need to spend a draft pick there for rotational depth and insurance for injury, as well as development for when Haralsons contract is up.
I was gonna say yes, then i remembered that Harelson will be back.
Aldon wore down towards the end of the season ...it would be in our best interest to grab another pass rusher in the draft ...even if it is a 4-3 DE , he could play DE in the nickel and Dime packages, and be groomed to play some OLB in 2014 ....but grabbing another pass rusher, a shutdown corner, and a disruptive 3-4 DE should be our main 3 goals this offseason to improve the defense
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

In general I'd like to see a systemic rotation of players on defense, rotating through 3 or 4 DE's, 3 OLB's, 2 NT's, every single game to minimize wear and tear.

I agree. Here is a blurb from Sando on the topic.

Why 49ers might have to adjust approach

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest
Draft an impact DL that can tie up two blockers and Aldon Smith will get to the QB.

We have the best 4 LBs playing in football.
renogotiate Haralson deal, let Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson battle for the other spot, voila you are there.
Yes, we need depth, functional depth, at the OLB position. I don't know if Aldon Smith was hurt worse than he is saying or what but he needed some help in the post season. We need quality depth at NT, OLB, WR, QB, CB, SS, OC, OT
Either renegotiate Haralson's contract or cut/trade him.

Still a good idea to select a rush LB prospect in the first half of the draft. Brooks has some years, but is nearing 29, and both of our starters may need a quality backup to give them some rest. I'm not wanting to put a ton of faith into Cam Johnson just yet.
Originally posted by mebemused:
Draft an impact DL that can tie up two blockers and Aldon Smith will get to the QB.

We have the best 4 LBs playing in football.

I agree. I think we need a big DE/DT that can penetrate and set the edge. Our linebackers are the best in the league. We need a much better rotation up front to help keep those guys fresh and prevent them from breaking down as the season wears on.
I never thought losing Haralson would hurt so much. I always use to think Haralson really blew, but he actually played some decent football in 2011.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I want chase thomas
Like Toeshawn, I believe Chase Thomas would be a great addition to the LB corps...has the burst off the edge, good size, 5th yr senior (i.e. maturity level), and played at a consistently high level at Stanford. I hope Haralson also comes back healthy...with both guys, our LB corps would again be tops, with quality depth.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I never thought losing Haralson would hurt so much. I always use to think Haralson really blew, but he actually played some decent football in 2011.

No, I think he still blows.