Originally posted by smithc28:
How about looking at it like this

Trading Smith and Carolina 3rd for Kansas 2nd round

Trading for Revis

Cutting Rodgers, Goldson, Whitner and Sopoago

Ok cap room for Revis secured.

First round - Matt Elam (Safetie)
Kansas 2nd - Phillip Thomas (Safetie)
2nd round - Brandon Williams (Nose Tackle)

Williams comes in as 3rd down nose tackle behind RJF.

Secondary completely revamped, with 2 hard hitting safeties and a shut down corner. Brown and Culliver stay on and we've picked two of the best safeties in the draft.

I can understand people saying we need Justin Smith understudy but i can't see it in this draft. This way we cut a lot of cap room and improve a huge weakness in defence.

Adding Revis would cost too much. Adding a late 1st round cover corner like Xavier Rhodes or Desmond Trufant would be much more cap friendly. Goldson should be resigned and move over to SS with Whitner either being traded or cut. I like the idea of getting P. Thomas from Fresno St over Matt Elam because of his coverage skills.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by smithc28:
How about looking at it like this

Trading Smith and Carolina 3rd for Kansas 2nd round

Trading for Revis

Cutting Rodgers, Goldson, Whitner and Sopoago

Ok cap room for Revis secured.

First round - Matt Elam (Safetie)
Kansas 2nd - Phillip Thomas (Safetie)
2nd round - Brandon Williams (Nose Tackle)

Williams comes in as 3rd down nose tackle behind RJF.

Secondary completely revamped, with 2 hard hitting safeties and a shut down corner. Brown and Culliver stay on and we've picked two of the best safeties in the draft.

I can understand people saying we need Justin Smith understudy but i can't see it in this draft. This way we cut a lot of cap room and improve a huge weakness in defence.

Donte Jones can be that understudy. Build through the draft. Just say no to Revis. The Jets want too much for him. I would rather sign some of our own guys like Goldson. That's what the great teams do. We don't need to grasp at over priced free agents anymore(Clements). Harbaugh and Baalke know how to build a team and develop talent. That is what builds championship teams. We need depth and a couple pieces to the puzzle.