How about this

How about looking at it like this

Trading Smith and Carolina 3rd for Kansas 2nd round

Trading for Revis

Cutting Rodgers, Goldson, Whitner and Sopoago

Ok cap room for Revis secured.

First round - Matt Elam (Safetie)
Kansas 2nd - Phillip Thomas (Safetie)
2nd round - Brandon Williams (Nose Tackle)

Williams comes in as 3rd down nose tackle behind RJF.

Secondary completely revamped, with 2 hard hitting safeties and a shut down corner. Brown and Culliver stay on and we've picked two of the best safeties in the draft.

I can understand people saying we need Justin Smith understudy but i can't see it in this draft. This way we cut a lot of cap room and improve a huge weakness in defence.
Originally posted by smithc28:

Trading for Revis

Secondary completely revamped, with 2 hard hitting safeties and a shut down corner. Brown and Culliver stay on and we've picked two of the best safeties in the draft.

I can understand people saying we need Justin Smith understudy but i can't see it in this draft. This way we cut a lot of cap room and improve a huge weakness in defence.

It looks good in a way that you get Revis but I think losing 4 starters is a baaaad idea.
Originally posted by eonblue:
It looks good in a way that you get Revis but I think losing 4 starters is a baaaad idea.

Maybe, I suppose a couple of them will be pissed about Sunday and will try harder next year
I'm sorry but that offseason blows. Gain Revis but lose four starters and a 1st round pick? If Revis would get injured, we'd be essentially f**ked.
I wouldnt be confident starting two rookie safeties

Trading for Revis

Thought the Jets wanted 2 firsts for Revis? How do we draft anyone in the 1st if we dont have a pick? Ive heard people say they are asking WAY too much for him, but they will still likely get a 1st and a 3rd.

I dont think we need to can both of our safties. Whitner only has a year left, draft someone for his spot that actually knows what a football looks like, tag Goldson, let Donte play on ST (where he can still hit people) and maybe use him as a nickel or dime back.

Never been big on Revis to SF. If it happens, Ill root for the guy, but hes not getting any younger, demands a fortune, and costs too much in terms of the future.
It looks like your hangover is worse than mine was!

Trading for Revis

I think this would be absolutely terrible. Just to trade for Revis, you're willing to depart with FOUR of our defense's starters?! Terrible idea. Revis is good, no doubt about it, but the guy is coming off a major injury, not to mention notoriously known for holding out three times!

Our corners are good. What we need is more dept at the d-line positions and possibly another pass rusher. A good pass rush will benefit our secondary.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Thought the Jets wanted 2 firsts for Revis? How do we draft anyone in the 1st if we dont have a pick? Ive heard people say they are asking WAY too much for him, but they will still likely get a 1st and a 3rd.

I dont think we need to can both of our safties. Whitner only has a year left, draft someone for his spot that actually knows what a football looks like, tag Goldson, let Donte play on ST (where he can still hit people) and maybe use him as a nickel or dime back.

Never been big on Revis to SF. If it happens, Ill root for the guy, but hes not getting any younger, demands a fortune, and costs too much in terms of the future.

wow didn't read that. never mind then. They can keep him
HELL NO
I get it,

Just reemed from how easy Ravens seemed to have it on Sunday. Flacco just threw up air balls from pot luck and it made it to his receivers.

Delete the thread if you must. I*'ve sobered up now
No DE for rotation, losing 4starters and replacing w/2 Rookies AND Revis coming off an injury. Not everyone heals and responds like Adriene Peterson.
So...you'd have two rookies playing S? Not a good idea. Yes, Revis would be great to have...if he's fully healthy. Not opposed to letting Soapoaga and Whitner go...and I'm not keen on signing Goldson for top dollar, either. I think Baalke should look hard at Jarius Byrd, a consistent playmaking FS. I'd sure feel a lot better with a solid vet back there, as I'm sure Harbaugh would, as well. If you do let Sopoaga walk, you need to draft a big dude to take his place. I wouldn't take B. Williams in the 2nd...I'd go after Jesse Williams or Jonathan Hankins in the 1st. I'd also advocate bringing in a good vet, like Randy Starks. Plays inside and out and would provide the experience and leadership we lacked when Justin Smith got hurt. Baalke has plenty of draft picks to trade up and get blue-chippers. In this draft, less is more, because it's highly likely no more than 5-6 rookies would make the roster. I disagree that our CB's are good...not one of 'em is close to being a shutdown guy. We need to get bigger at that position...one potential answer for that is Sean Smith, a big CB who's entering his prime that would matchup with the bigger WR's we see just about every week. Also a must to draft one of the best CB's...somebody who can actually cover and isn't afraid to stick his nose into a ball carrier/receiver. Our secondary was shielded in 2011, because our front 7 was lights out the whole season. That group regressed in 2012 and we saw the results. Yes, both groups need improvement...and that should be Baalke's major priority.
cutting FOUR starters??? no thanks. Goldson is in his prime.
PASS RUSH!!! WE need a Pass rush!! Our CBs aint great but they arent that bad. Heck, we stopped rushing the QB in the middle of the season, gimmie 2 pass rushers & a Run stopper