There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NINERJOHN'S MOCK DRAFT

Originally posted by SFrush:
How much have you watched of Floyd, just curious?

Enough to see that he belongs on the inside and not the outside. He's got great athleticism, he just doesn't have much pass rush skill. In terms of stopping the run, he's phenomenal and he's got very active hands but he's not a threat to get to the quarterback, I could see a team like Seattle drafting him and playing him inside where he'll be a very good player in the NFL.
I like the looks of your draft but no way Hunter lasts till the 3rd. He'll be a late 1st or early 2nd. I'd love to have him though. He could be a deep threat we need.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
I like the looks of your draft but no way Hunter lasts till the 3rd. He'll be a late 1st or early 2nd. I'd love to have him though. He could be a deep threat we need.

We shall see. NFL Draftscout has him ranked 65th which is why I put him where I did. Maddog put him 76th on his top 100 ( for what that is worth).. I remember people saying that Reuban Randle, would be a first rd pick too and he fell to 63rd. It could happen with Hunter depending on his workouts and combine.
With maybe as many as 15 picks (including trade w/Alex), I see Baalke doing a ton of dealing to trade up in the early rds and get as many blue-chippers as possible. 2013 shouldn't be much different than 2012 in that not many rookies will make the roster. I disagree WRT the TE position...getting Zach Ertz would give Kap a potential beast RZ target. I think it's highly debatable they re-sign Walker. Ertz opposite Vernon is a DC's nightmare. I'd like to see Baalke draft Jesse Williams, a 320 lb'er who can play inside or out. Like the CB Ryan and WR Hunter. Agree we need a big WR opposite Crabtree. S Williams is good, but I also like USC's McDonald and Phillip Thomas of Fresno St. To provide more LB depth, I like Chase Thomas a lot...that he comes from Stanford certainly would be attractive to Harbaugh, as well. That's six guys...we could end up with a couple more picks, but I seriously doubt any more than 6 would have a legitimate shot at making the roster, depending of course on who Baalke lets walk.

He's fallen off, I have him in the late 2nd round right now, he's just not as good as his size might indicate, he's behind his teammate Patterson and quite a few other WR prospects.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
With maybe as many as 15 picks (including trade w/Alex), I see Baalke doing a ton of dealing to trade up in the early rds and get as many blue-chippers as possible. 2013 shouldn't be much different than 2012 in that not many rookies will make the roster. I disagree WRT the TE position...getting Zach Ertz would give Kap a potential beast RZ target. I think it's highly debatable they re-sign Walker. Ertz opposite Vernon is a DC's nightmare. I'd like to see Baalke draft Jesse Williams, a 320 lb'er who can play inside or out. Like the CB Ryan and WR Hunter. Agree we need a big WR opposite Crabtree. S Williams is good, but I also like USC's McDonald and Phillip Thomas of Fresno St. To provide more LB depth, I like Chase Thomas a lot...that he comes from Stanford certainly would be attractive to Harbaugh, as well. That's six guys...we could end up with a couple more picks, but I seriously doubt any more than 6 would have a legitimate shot at making the roster, depending of course on who Baalke lets walk.

I disagree with this. The team will have several free agents that won't be coming back, they'll be looking at replacing 5, 6, 7 even 8 players, and that is before you address roster upgrades.

Ginn-Gone
Brock-Gone
Leonard Davis-Likely Gone
Walker-Potentially Gone
Larry Grant-Gone
Randy Moss-Gone
Alex-Gone
Soap-Possibly Gone
RJF-?????

I can see the 49ers adding draft picks at:

DE-At least 1
CB-At least 1
WR-At least 1
ILB-At least 1
FS-At least 1
NT-At least 1
OLB-At least 1

I can easily see 8 or 9 drafted rookies on this roster next year easy considering the volume of free agents they'll have to replace.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:39 PM ]
where do you guys go to do your draft studying? I know about draftcountdown.com...but is it espn insider as well?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

We shall see. NFL Draftscout has him ranked 65th which is why I put him where I did. Maddog put him 76th on his top 100 ( for what that is worth).. I remember people saying that Reuban Randle, would be a first rd pick too and he fell to 63rd. It could happen with Hunter depending on his workouts and combine.

I hope I'm wrong and he does fall that far so we can get him. I'd love to have him. I think he can be a legit deep threat.
Nice mock. I'd be very happy with this draft. In regards to Hunter, I just read an article on GBN Report and they had a lot of good things to say about him, but also their scout had some concerns:

Hunter's grade will take a hit in a few areas though. He is not effective after the catch. He is not a guy with a lot of wiggle and he shies from contact. He is a competitive athlete that will go after the ball over the middle, but he rarely fights to break tackles. In addition, Hunter is still raw. Not a lot of game experience in comparison to other prospects. His catching technique varies play-to-play, and he doesn't break back to the ball when running return routes. Hunter is one of the top deep threats in this class, but he won't offer much as a short and intermediate receiver. I can see him having a similar impact as former Volunteers receiver Robert Meachem has had. He'll make some coaches drool, but it will be up to him to become a more complete player through hard work.

If scouts really have these concerns about his game, he could last until the third. Anything is possible.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nice mock. I'd be very happy with this draft. In regards to Hunter, I just read an article on GBN Report and they had a lot of good things to say about him, but also their scout had some concerns:

Hunter's grade will take a hit in a few areas though. He is not effective after the catch. He is not a guy with a lot of wiggle and he shies from contact. He is a competitive athlete that will go after the ball over the middle, but he rarely fights to break tackles. In addition, Hunter is still raw. Not a lot of game experience in comparison to other prospects. His catching technique varies play-to-play, and he doesn't break back to the ball when running return routes. Hunter is one of the top deep threats in this class, but he won't offer much as a short and intermediate receiver. I can see him having a similar impact as former Volunteers receiver Robert Meachem has had. He'll make some coaches drool, but it will be up to him to become a more complete player through hard work.

If scouts really have these concerns about his game, he could last until the third. Anything is possible.

I would love to see him fall to the 3rd. My hope is that the 2nd rd has several QBs taken and that the Niners get a quality WR like Hunter.

My thoughts exactly. You nailed it. I've been saying maybe 8 guys could catch on. One being Hopkins K from Florida st. I love Phillip Thomas. He can play in the box and can play center field pretty well. Him next to Dashon and we could be real solid in the back half. But it starts up front with a pass rush and stuffing the run
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I disagree with this. The team will have several free agents that won't be coming back, they'll be looking at replacing 5, 6, 7 even 8 players, and that is before you address roster upgrades.

Ginn-Gone
Brock-Gone
Leonard Davis-Likely Gone
Walker-Potentially Gone
Larry Grant-Gone
Randy Moss-Gone
Alex-Gone
Soap-Possibly Gone
RJF-?????

I can see the 49ers adding draft picks at:

DE-At least 1
CB-At least 1
WR-At least 1
ILB-At least 1
FS-At least 1
NT-At least 1
OLB-At least 1

I can easily see 8 or 9 drafted rookies on this roster next year easy considering the volume of free agents they'll have to replace.
Soap isn't going to demand a ton of money and the team will want to retain as many of its dLine with Cowboy's contract due up next year. RJF isn't ready to play NT every down and there is no indication that Tukafu is ready....and I can't see the front office wanting to start a rookie. L. Davis will be pretty cheap, fits our motto of a big line and has a veteran cap exception. I've felt that 6-8 roster spots will be open and K is one of them.

Soap-resign to 2 yr deal with team option worth 7.25 mil
L Davis-900k
Walker- 4 year 12.5 mil6.5 mil guar
Datone Jones really isn't a 3-4 DE. I've watched him play his entire career and thats just not his style, even if the size is close and he played 4-3 DT. He penetrates much better than he collapses or takes up blockers, I really don't think he's the best fit even though he's a fantastic player.

like the scott and hopkins picks, they appear to be more and more popular. the other picks seem to be at the right positions, i just don't know the players that well.
[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Feb 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM ]
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
where do you guys go to do your draft studying? I know about draftcountdown.com...but is it espn insider as well?

I watch ALOT of college football.

You could also go to:

mynfldraft.com
walterfootball.com
draftcountdown.com
nfldraftdog.com

In that order! Hope that helps
  • buck
  • Veteran
I could easily live with this draft.