There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

JamesGatz83 Post-Super Bowl Mock Offseason

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Not too bad but I dont think there is any chance Datrone Jones lasts until the end of round 2. Also, I cant get on board with any draft that totally neglects the secondary. We need to address both corner and safety in this draft. Lonnie Pryor in the 3rd is just an awful pick to in my opinion/

Lonnie Pryor in the 3rd was a typo. Should read 4th.

He'll go in the 4th or 5th according to the resource I use for these projections: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/FB .

I tend to think 4th. Dude averaged 8 yards per carry and is a tremendous receiver and blocker.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
A FB in the 3rd? EJ Manuel I'm not to impressed with, and to waste a 3rd on a backup QB that may never see the field is a waste. We can find better value. No Safety or CB help when we got roasted all playoffs.

Jordan Reed is a TE/H-Back (read: Delanie Walker replacement).

I'm an FSU fan, and EJ Manuel really disappointed me this year. That said, you can't argue his physical tools, and Jim Harbaugh developing him would certainly help. QB insurance is enormously important. We cannot win with Scott Tolzien.

As for the secondary, I think the pass rush made the secondary look bad. Flacco was only pressured on 8 of 35 plays. You can't expect guys to cover forever.

Also, the Giants won two titles with an awful secondary and a dominant pass rush. Pass rush should always be the priority.

I was referring to Pryor in the 3rd, not Reed. He's a FB, imo, and don't want him as a RB. He did nothing to warrant a 3rd. If you want a RB in the 3rd, go Lattimore, Franklin, Taylor, Ray Graham, Bell, Jameson, or Gillislee. They are all better options than Pryor and can be had in the 3rd-5th range.
I was referring to Pryor in the 3rd, not Reed. He's a FB, imo, and don't want him as a RB. He did nothing to warrant a 3rd. If you want a RB in the 3rd, go Lattimore, Franklin, Taylor, Ray Graham, Bell, Jameson, or Gillislee. They are all better options than Pryor and can be had in the 3rd-5th range.

See above post.

See above post.

Still better options in the 4th round.
Still better options in the 4th round.

Eh, all of the guys you listed are more proven ball carriers, but they don't really offer the versatility or potential special teams contributions that Pryor does.

Plus, none of them (except Le'veon Bell) have his size, which is a must given that he'll be replacing Dixon in this scenario. Both James and Hunter are smaller backs, so I think it'd be wise to add some size to the backfield. I'd be down for Bell in the 3-5 range.

That said, Pryor is more versatile than Bell, and far more apt to fill in for Bruce Miller in the event of an injury. These things have to be considered given the limitations of a 53-man roster.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 5, 2013 at 7:54 PM ]
A FB in the 3rd? EJ Manuel I'm not to impressed with, and to waste a 3rd on a backup QB that may never see the field is a waste. We can find better value. No Safety or CB help when we got roasted all playoffs.

Agree with this completely. We don't know how close to ready the niner backups are so it would be very risky to project not taking a DB. As for a QB, I would trust Harbaugh to make that decision but I would think there are enough FAs out there that they will be able to fill the 3rd QB spot easily without using a 3rd pick. The RB pick seems a bit high too, as Gore, Hunter and James will get most of the snaps and Dixon has proven himself on STs and as a tough straight ahead rusher this year...much improved over last.

Would love to have Williams and Jones though and Lemonier. That would really solidify the front seven going forward.
No changes in the secondary = epic fail.
Agree w/Ninerjohn WRT the secondary...it's a MUST to draft one of the top CB's and S'. Our secondary was pitiful down the stretch and into the playoffs/SB. I'd draft Chase Thomas over Lemonier because he's got the body and talent and is a redshirt senior (i.e. maturity level). I like Jesse Williams a lot...but I'd add Randy Starks in FA. He can play inside and out, has experience and could be a starter or in the rotation. I like Edelman's versatility, but he's another smallish WR. We need some size at that position...I'm talking Malcom Floyd size. I'd also draft Zach Ertz, the best TE in the country, who has the stuff to be a beast RZ target for Kap. Think about his abilities to go up and get the ball at 6-6...wouldn't that have been great to have in the SB. Besides, you draft him, you don't need two other TE's. That (Fasano) cap money could be spent on a big CB like Sean Smith. Like the Hopkins pick...he's a dandy.
So many knee-jerk reactions with regard to the secondary. The play of the secondary is often dictated by the play of the pass rush. We pressured Flacco only 8 times out of 35. The secondary could use a tweak or two, but the pass rush has to be the priority. The Giants won two Super Bowls with bad secondaries and a dominant pass rush.

Our secondary looked incredible until Justin got hurt and our ability to generate pressure went to hell.
So many knee-jerk reactions with regard to the secondary. The play of the secondary is often dictated by the play of the pass rush. We pressured Flacco only 8 times out of 35. The secondary could use a tweak or two, but the pass rush has to be the priority. The Giants won two Super Bowls with bad secondaries and a dominant pass rush.

Our secondary looked incredible until Justin got hurt and our ability to generate pressure went to hell.

Four games of giving up 30 plus points and more TD's over 40 yds than they gave up all year is not a knee jerk reaction. This group needs help. The defensive line and OLB's also need depth so the starters don't have to play over 95% of the snaps like they did this year.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need WR's that are going to be ready for the season. Williams and Manningham aren't going to be ready until the middle of the season. So, who's going to be recieving until they get back?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Four games of giving up 30 plus points and more TD's over 40 yds than they gave up all year is not a knee jerk reaction. This group needs help. The defensive line and OLB's also need depth so the starters don't have to play over 95% of the snaps like they did this year.

You can't ask guys to cover forever. That same secondary looked pretty damn good before Justin got hurt and our pass rush became completely ineffective.
Originally posted by mayo49:
We need WR's that are going to be ready for the season. Williams and Manningham aren't going to be ready until the middle of the season. So, who's going to be recieving until they get back?

I think Williams will be ready by opening day. He'll have had over 9 months to recover from his ACL by then, which is longer than average by today's standards.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

You can't ask guys to cover forever. That same secondary looked pretty damn good before Justin got hurt and our pass rush became completely ineffective.

Still, do you think the Niners will stand pat? They need depth at both the safety and CB positions, too. If they can pickup another cover corner plus a ball hawking safety who could send Whitner to the sidelines on obvious passing downs, it would be better than what they have right now.