There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

JamesGatz83 Post-Super Bowl Mock Offseason

Instead of taking you through the offseason step by step, I'm just going to project our 53-man roster with additions in bold and italics.

QB: Colin Kaepernick, E.J. Manuel (DRAFT - 3rd), Scott Tolzien

RB: Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter, Lonnie Pryor (Draft - 3rd)


FB: Bruce Miller


WR: Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Julian Edelman (FA)


TE: Vernon Davis, Anthony Fasano (FA), Jordan Reed (DRAFT - 3rd), Garrett Celek

LT: Joe Staley

LG: Mike Iupati, Leonard Davis

C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore

RG: Alex Boone, Joe Looney

RT: Anthony Davis

DE: Justin Smith, Datone Jones (DRAFT - 2nd)

NT: Jesse Williams (DRAFT - 1st), Ian Williams

DE: Ray McDonald, Ricky Jean Francois, Will Tukuafu

OLB: Aldon Smith, Corey Lemonier (DRAFT - 4th)

ILB: Patrick Willis, Larry Grant

ILB: Navorro Bowman, Tavares Gooden

OLB: Ahmad Brooks, Darius Fleming

CB: Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver

CB: Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock

FS: Dashon Goldson, C.J. Spillman

SS: Donte Whitner, Darcel McBath, Trenton Robinson

K: Dustin Hopkins (DRAFT - 5th)


P: Andy Lee

LS: Brian Jennings







Would like that very much but I doubt that Jones makes it to us in the 2nd.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,874
I'm against taking a back up qb that early but I wouldn't mind him later
Originally posted by rk1642:
Would like that very much but I doubt that Jones makes it to us in the 2nd.

I agree. I based that solely on the assumption that we'll be using all of our picks and Alex Smith to move up (hopefully for an impact DL like Jones).
Originally posted by toeshawn:
I'm against taking a back up qb that early but I wouldn't mind him later

I remember thinking the Redskins wasted the pick they used to draft Kirk Cousins; but after seeing how that worked out, I've kinda grown to like the idea of using a relatively high pick to secure a quality backup.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,874
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by toeshawn:
I'm against taking a back up qb that early but I wouldn't mind him later

I remember thinking the Redskins wasted the pick they used to draft Kirk Cousins; but after seeing how that worked out, I've kinda grown to like the idea of using a relatively high pick to secure a quality backup.

I get what you're saying but do you think he's going to be the #2 or #3 guy? I think Tolzein can be the number two which is why I think that's too high to draft Manuel
Not impressed by Manuel at all. For the cost, I'd rather see the 49ers draft Matt Scott in the 5th round, more raw, but much more similar characteristics to Kaepernick, a good young prospect to develop.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Instead of taking you through the offseason step by step, I'm just going to project our 53-man roster with additions in bold and italics.

QB: Colin Kaepernick, E.J. Manuel (DRAFT - 3rd), Scott Tolzien

RB: Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter, Lonnie Pryor (Draft - 3rd)


FB: Bruce Miller


WR: Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins, Julian Edelman (FA)


TE: Vernon Davis, Anthony Fasano (FA), Jordan Reed (DRAFT - 3rd), Garrett Celek

LT: Joe Staley

LG: Mike Iupati, Leonard Davis

C: Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore

RG: Alex Boone, Joe Looney

RT: Anthony Davis

DE: Justin Smith, Datone Jones (DRAFT - 2nd)

NT: Jesse Williams (DRAFT - 1st), Ian Williams

DE: Ray McDonald, Ricky Jean Francois, Will Tukuafu

OLB: Aldon Smith, Corey Lemonier (DRAFT - 4th)

ILB: Patrick Willis, Larry Grant

ILB: Navorro Bowman, Tavares Gooden

OLB: Ahmad Brooks, Darius Fleming

CB: Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver

CB: Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox, Tramaine Brock

FS: Dashon Goldson, C.J. Spillman

SS: Donte Whitner, Darcel McBath, Trenton Robinson

K: Dustin Hopkins (DRAFT - 5th)


P: Andy Lee

LS: Brian Jennings








Jones won't fall that far. I have him as an early 2nd rounder right now, and that is before the Combine where he's rumored to tear the roof off the motherf**ker. I would take him with the 1st round pick in a heartbeat however.


In the 2nd round, Brandon Williams should be around to fill the NT position.



Also what happened to the rest of the 49ers picks? I'd like to see some secondary help added through the draft, Brock won't be coming back next year and its unknown whether they'll resign Brown after next season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM ]
A FB in the 3rd? EJ Manuel I'm not to impressed with, and to waste a 3rd on a backup QB that may never see the field is a waste. We can find better value. No Safety or CB help when we got roasted all playoffs.
no improvement in the secondary =/ i love everything except the lack of DBs
Originally posted by Travisty13:
A FB in the 3rd? EJ Manuel I'm not to impressed with, and to waste a 3rd on a backup QB that may never see the field is a waste. We can find better value. No Safety or CB help when we got roasted all playoffs.

Pryor is a RB/FB...but yes he should be available later.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
A FB in the 3rd? EJ Manuel I'm not to impressed with, and to waste a 3rd on a backup QB that may never see the field is a waste. We can find better value. No Safety or CB help when we got roasted all playoffs.

Jordan Reed is a TE/H-Back (read: Delanie Walker replacement).

I'm an FSU fan, and EJ Manuel really disappointed me this year. That said, you can't argue his physical tools, and Jim Harbaugh developing him would certainly help. QB insurance is enormously important. We cannot win with Scott Tolzien.

As for the secondary, I think the pass rush made the secondary look bad. Flacco was only pressured on 8 of 35 plays. You can't expect guys to cover forever.

Also, the Giants won two titles with an awful secondary and a dominant pass rush. Pass rush should always be the priority.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Jones won't fall that far. I have him as an early 2nd rounder right now, and that is before the Combine where he's rumored to tear the roof off the motherf**ker. I would take him with the 1st round pick in a heartbeat however.


In the 2nd round, Brandon Williams should be around to fill the NT position.



Also what happened to the rest of the 49ers picks? I'd like to see some secondary help added through the draft, Brock won't be coming back next year and its unknown whether they'll resign Brown after next season.

I'm not as down on Brock as a lot of people are. He contributes on special teams and that's really all you need from a 5th corner.

As for the rest of the picks, I really hope we use them to move up for guys like Datone Jones. Quality over quantity should be the mantra this year, as we have very few holes to fill.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not impressed by Manuel at all. For the cost, I'd rather see the 49ers draft Matt Scott in the 5th round, more raw, but much more similar characteristics to Kaepernick, a good young prospect to develop.

I like Scott a lot too, but Manuel is bigger, similarly athletic, has a stronger arm, and is more battle tested. He just needs to be developed.

He had major issues with consistency, but his potential is limitless. The Clemson game (382 passing, 102 rushing) is a good example.

The one major concern I have with Scott is that he only started one year. Not too many successful QBs around the league that didn't start until their final year of college.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Feb 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM ]
Not too bad but I dont think there is any chance Datrone Jones lasts until the end of round 2. Also, I cant get on board with any draft that totally neglects the secondary. We need to address both corner and safety in this draft. Lonnie Pryor in the 3rd is just an awful pick to in my opinion/