There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

14 draft picks

How deep is this draft for d-linemen? Is there some unsung Pierce Holt type out there? As I remember,small school players have panned out of us very well.
Anyone else been looking to see who might be available to challenge Akers - or should we look at someone in FA for that? Admittedly kickers are hardly big news going into a draft - but if we could get reliability back for FGs, and a couple of guys who can boost our special teams coverage then those are the little things that can make the difference in tight matches.

As for other positions, Free Agency has a huge part to play yet, but I'm guessing those drafted this year have more chance of being used this year than last ear's picks. (But I'd also add that don't write off those selected last year. They may not have been used, but that doesn't mean they won't be this year.)

I'd question anyone saying we need Gore's replacement. We should still have Hunter, James and Dixon to help keep him fresh. And RBs only need to be drafted when the position is available - as it is one of the few positions where players regularly contribute straight away. (Although they often need to learn blocking.)

If someone is available that can be groomed to takeover from Smith then we need to jump on them - trade up if need be. But we have obvious questions at Secondary and Wide Receiver.

Ultimately, the picture will be a lot clearer by draft time than it is now - but as things stand I'd probably say we don't need to draft the following: RB, Punter or OL. Although you can feasibly draft anything with 14 picks. (Plus more if we trade Smith before draft.)
I see Baalke wheelin' & dealin' this draft...to get real blue-chippers vs waiting in the #31 position. Let's face it, fewer rookies made the 2012 roster than in quite a few years...there's really no sense in taking many (if any) 6th & 7th rounders who'll have little to no chance to make the roster or even PS. Positions he'll likely pursue include DL, CB, S, TE. Depending on who he signs in FA, he could draft a QB or WR. I wouldn't mind him signing Josh Johnson, who's got the game to run the read-option. I'm hoping Zach Ertz is one of the draft picks...at 6-6, 250-something, he could be a great RZ target for Kap...plus, he knows Harbaugh's offense. Just read where Manningham's Dr's and trainers say he's on track to return for next season, so that's good news. I doubt Moss will be back, but KW will. I'd like to see Baalke sign a big FA WR...someone like Malcom Floyd. It's the one thing we don't have in our WR corps. Anyway, I'm hoping Baalke adds some FA's on the DL...like Randy Starks, big dude who's tailor made for the 3-4. If they don't re-sign Sopoaga, then go after a younger DT like Alan Branch or Terrance Knighton. Between FA and the draft, it's a great opportunity to really beef up our DL. Ditto w/secondary...would love to see Sean Smith as a Niner. He's a big CB who can cover...great to help matchup with so many big WR's we face just about every week. Very disappointed in Whitner...he became a real liability in pass coverage. Two good ones are FA's...William Moore and Glover Quin. I'm torn between WRT Goldson...he's made the last 2 Pro Bowls, but what bothers me is he all but disappeared in the NFC Championship game and the SB. In the draft, same MO, trade up to get a top CB and S to groom for the future or possibly help next year. Who Baalke signs in FA will somewhat drive who he drafts...but I think he'll go for immediate defensive help in FA, and draft some blue-chippers to augment/learn.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
we need to address CB depth, Rogers had a average year and Brock is dreadful.


I agree. i'd get a guy like Mc. fadden from SD State to replace Brock, and get a FA (Sean Smith-miami ??), to replace Rodgers..
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
How deep is this draft for d-linemen? Is there some unsung Pierce Holt type out there? As I remember,small school players have panned out of us very well.


I remember Holt. Dude was a 26 yr. old rookie outta DivII..Dude played well for us !
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I see Baalke wheelin' & dealin' this draft...to get real blue-chippers vs waiting in the #31 position. Let's face it, fewer rookies made the 2012 roster than in quite a few years...there's really no sense in taking many (if any) 6th & 7th rounders who'll have little to no chance to make the roster or even PS. Positions he'll likely pursue include DL, CB, S, TE. Depending on who he signs in FA, he could draft a QB or WR. I wouldn't mind him signing Josh Johnson, who's got the game to run the read-option. I'm hoping Zach Ertz is one of the draft picks...at 6-6, 250-something, he could be a great RZ target for Kap...plus, he knows Harbaugh's offense. Just read where Manningham's Dr's and trainers say he's on track to return for next season, so that's good news. I doubt Moss will be back, but KW will. I'd like to see Baalke sign a big FA WR...someone like Malcom Floyd. It's the one thing we don't have in our WR corps. Anyway, I'm hoping Baalke adds some FA's on the DL...like Randy Starks, big dude who's tailor made for the 3-4. If they don't re-sign Sopoaga, then go after a younger DT like Alan Branch or Terrance Knighton. Between FA and the draft, it's a great opportunity to really beef up our DL. Ditto w/secondary...would love to see Sean Smith as a Niner. He's a big CB who can cover...great to help matchup with so many big WR's we face just about every week. Very disappointed in Whitner...he became a real liability in pass coverage. Two good ones are FA's...William Moore and Glover Quin. I'm torn between WRT Goldson...he's made the last 2 Pro Bowls, but what bothers me is he all but disappeared in the NFC Championship game and the SB. In the draft, same MO, trade up to get a top CB and S to groom for the future or possibly help next year. Who Baalke signs in FA will somewhat drive who he drafts...but I think he'll go for immediate defensive help in FA, and draft some blue-chippers to augment/learn.


Are you my brother from another mother ??..LOL, But yes the above players I would love to draft , except Starks, I see him as a starter, and right now we're stacked at DE, we could draft Smiths eventual replacement, but if we go DL in FA, weneed a NT. But love Sean Smith, Ertz, and J.Johnson being 49ers !!!
LOL at people trashing on Carlos Rogers. He played well this past season and didn't have the INT numbers because teams hardly threw his direction.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by JoeisGod:
How deep is this draft for d-linemen? Is there some unsung Pierce Holt type out there? As I remember,small school players have panned out of us very well.


I remember Holt. Dude was a 26 yr. old rookie outta DivII..Dude played well for us !

Pierce Holt was a big scary dude. I wish we could find a player like him.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
LOL at people trashing on Carlos Rogers. He played well this past season and didn't have the INT numbers because teams hardly threw his direction.

Rogers was solid, Whitner is the weak link. Culliver should play FS. He played safety at South Carolina.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
LOL at people trashing on Carlos Rogers. He played well this past season and didn't have the INT numbers because teams hardly threw his direction.

Rogers was solid, Whitner is the weak link. Culliver should play FS. He played safety at South Carolina.

I'm a fan of Whitner's, but I agree that he's very limited as far as coverage is concerned. He needs consistent pass rush in front of him so that he doesn't get exposed.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I see Baalke wheelin' & dealin' this draft...to get real blue-chippers vs waiting in the #31 position. Let's face it, fewer rookies made the 2012 roster than in quite a few years...there's really no sense in taking many (if any) 6th & 7th rounders who'll have little to no chance to make the roster or even PS. Positions he'll likely pursue include DL, CB, S, TE. Depending on who he signs in FA, he could draft a QB or WR. I wouldn't mind him signing Josh Johnson, who's got the game to run the read-option. I'm hoping Zach Ertz is one of the draft picks...at 6-6, 250-something, he could be a great RZ target for Kap...plus, he knows Harbaugh's offense. Just read where Manningham's Dr's and trainers say he's on track to return for next season, so that's good news. I doubt Moss will be back, but KW will. I'd like to see Baalke sign a big FA WR...someone like Malcom Floyd. It's the one thing we don't have in our WR corps. Anyway, I'm hoping Baalke adds some FA's on the DL...like Randy Starks, big dude who's tailor made for the 3-4. If they don't re-sign Sopoaga, then go after a younger DT like Alan Branch or Terrance Knighton. Between FA and the draft, it's a great opportunity to really beef up our DL. Ditto w/secondary...would love to see Sean Smith as a Niner. He's a big CB who can cover...great to help matchup with so many big WR's we face just about every week. Very disappointed in Whitner...he became a real liability in pass coverage. Two good ones are FA's...William Moore and Glover Quin. I'm torn between WRT Goldson...he's made the last 2 Pro Bowls, but what bothers me is he all but disappeared in the NFC Championship game and the SB. In the draft, same MO, trade up to get a top CB and S to groom for the future or possibly help next year. Who Baalke signs in FA will somewhat drive who he drafts...but I think he'll go for immediate defensive help in FA, and draft some blue-chippers to augment/learn.


Are you my brother from another mother ??..LOL, But yes the above players I would love to draft , except Starks, I see him as a starter, and right now we're stacked at DE, we could draft Smiths eventual replacement, but if we go DL in FA, weneed a NT. But love Sean Smith, Ertz, and J.Johnson being 49ers !!!

I agree Ertz can be better than Fleener last year, plus he can block and find holes in the defense like Brent Jones.
I'd love to add Starks to the DLine rotation. Then draft Justin's successor and develop him.

With 2 quality DE in the rotation we can keep the pressure on every snap. Also, a NT is a necessity.

Also would love Sean Smith BUT $$$ will be THE issue.

Moving Cully to S could be a real plus - since he is familiar with our D and coaches.

It will be an excting off season.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,863
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I see Baalke wheelin' & dealin' this draft...to get real blue-chippers vs waiting in the #31 position. Let's face it, fewer rookies made the 2012 roster than in quite a few years...there's really no sense in taking many (if any) 6th & 7th rounders who'll have little to no chance to make the roster or even PS. Positions he'll likely pursue include DL, CB, S, TE. Depending on who he signs in FA, he could draft a QB or WR. I wouldn't mind him signing Josh Johnson, who's got the game to run the read-option. I'm hoping Zach Ertz is one of the draft picks...at 6-6, 250-something, he could be a great RZ target for Kap...plus, he knows Harbaugh's offense. Just read where Manningham's Dr's and trainers say he's on track to return for next season, so that's good news. I doubt Moss will be back, but KW will. I'd like to see Baalke sign a big FA WR...someone like Malcom Floyd. It's the one thing we don't have in our WR corps. Anyway, I'm hoping Baalke adds some FA's on the DL...like Randy Starks, big dude who's tailor made for the 3-4. If they don't re-sign Sopoaga, then go after a younger DT like Alan Branch or Terrance Knighton. Between FA and the draft, it's a great opportunity to really beef up our DL. Ditto w/secondary...would love to see Sean Smith as a Niner. He's a big CB who can cover...great to help matchup with so many big WR's we face just about every week. Very disappointed in Whitner...he became a real liability in pass coverage. Two good ones are FA's...William Moore and Glover Quin. I'm torn between WRT Goldson...he's made the last 2 Pro Bowls, but what bothers me is he all but disappeared in the NFC Championship game and the SB. In the draft, same MO, trade up to get a top CB and S to groom for the future or possibly help next year. Who Baalke signs in FA will somewhat drive who he drafts...but I think he'll go for immediate defensive help in FA, and draft some blue-chippers to augment/learn.

When you don't hear a person's name in the secondary much, that is usually a good sign. The only time I was seeing Goldson was when he had to do a mop up tackle when the CB missed his. Overall, I think he had a solid game in the DB. I hope we sign him.
I'd like to see us package some picks and grab another 2nd round pick .....I wouldnt be against trading our 1st in 2014 for a 2nd rounder in the 2013 draft , if we draft wisely this year , there is a strong possibility that we could have depth across the board , and the draft picks in 2014 would have very little chance of cracking the roster ....I say we swing for the fences THIS season and trade down to get the most talented players we can .....our first 2 picks didnt sniff the field until late in the season, so lets make some deals to grab some players that have a legit chance of making the team and contributing ....14 rookies will NOT make this team next year , hell I dont know if 7 of the draft picks will hit the field ......this year it's quality over quanity, we need to grab the best players available and come back stronger than ever
Originally posted by fryet:
When you don't hear a person's name in the secondary much, that is usually a good sign. The only time I was seeing Goldson was when he had to do a mop up tackle when the CB missed his. Overall, I think he had a solid game in the DB. I hope we sign him.

Julio Jones scored his first TD against Goldson on a double move. Jacoby Jones caught his TD on his back. We are getting beat deep. The Ravens played Ed Reed deep the whole game. With the best 4 LBs in football, a SS who is a liability in coverage is redundant. We need a ball hawking FS.

I would resign Goldson, and draft a FS with ball hawking ability. We can stop the run. It is the deep pass that is killing us.

Jarius Byrd, a very talented FS from Buffalo is a free agent this year. He had 5 ITs in 2012.
[ Edited by mebemused on Feb 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM ]