There are 200 users in the forums

KC Chiefs and the #1 Pick

Originally posted by glorydayz:
Trade them Alex Smith and a 3rd for their first round pick in 2014!

It would be more like thier first for Alex and our 1st and 2nd. Our 1st is basically an early 2nd and our 2nd an early 3rd.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Butter:
I don't disagree with this, but I think that is often said of several drafts.

I think if the Niners want a high draft pick, maybe the best option is a low pick this year with a conditional pick next year is the easiest to swallow for a team like KC that has so many needs to fill.

However, the entire point of this thread is that KC moving down from #1 and getting extra picks would subsidize the KC cost of trading for Alex.
The Chiefs have much better talent than their record the past season. Romeo Crennell is one of those coordinators who just does not have it as a HC. That team, aside from the lack of a quality QB, should have had AT LEAST 8 wins this past season. With Andy Reid at the controls and Alex Smith throwing to Dwayne Bowe and Jamaal Charles running the ball, that offense could do quite well.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think a possible scenario is the Niners trading their 2nd round pick (number 64) Alex Smith to the Chiefs for pick 34.

Win win

KC gets to keep their coveted draft picks albeit a second rounder at the end plus a qb

The Niners pick at 32 and 34.

The trade value chart this scenario also makes sense. Or simply swapping picks in rounds 3,4,5,6 and 7 and we give them no picks.

I likes this. And if what we want isn't there at 31 we trade to someone desperate and get a first rounder next year.
I think a possible scenario is the Niners trading their 2nd round pick (number 64) Alex Smith to the Chiefs for pick 34.

Win win

KC gets to keep their coveted draft picks albeit a second rounder at the end plus a qb

The trade value chart this scenario also makes sense. Or simply swapping picks in rounds 3,4,5,6 and 7 and we give them no picks.

I likes this. And if what we want isn't there at 31 we trade to someone desperate and get a first rounder next year.
Originally posted by dj43:
I don't disagree with this, but I think that is often said of several drafts.

I think if the Niners want a high draft pick, maybe the best option is a low pick this year with a conditional pick next year is the easiest to swallow for a team like KC that has so many needs to fill.

However, the entire point of this thread is that KC moving down from #1 and getting extra picks would subsidize the KC cost of trading for Alex.
The Chiefs have much better talent than their record the past season. Romeo Crennell is one of those coordinators who just does not have it as a HC. That team, aside from the lack of a quality QB, should have had AT LEAST 8 wins this past season. With Andy Reid at the controls and Alex Smith throwing to Dwayne Bowe and Jamaal Charles running the ball, that offense could do quite well.
IMHO I agree with your thoughts about KC. I watched them 3 times this season and their offensive philosophy reminded me of us with Singeltary. They aren't that many players away from winning that division. Great young defense and just needed a good HC with a good OC.
Originally posted by smithc28:

Win win

I think it's possible the Niners could trade Alex Smith and the Carolina 3rd (74) for KC 2nd. That allows KC to go BPA at #1, plug in a starting QB, and add a solid player to compete for a starting spot at #74. That's pretty good value for your first two picks.
I think it's possible the Niners could trade Alex Smith and the Carolina 3rd (74) for KC 2nd. That allows KC to go BPA at #1, plug in a starting QB, and add a solid player to compete for a starting spot at #74. That's pretty good value for your first two picks.

Its quite mental how much bargaining power we have this year. 14 picks not including what we get for Alex Smith

If we get KC's 2nd for Car's 3rd then we are laughing. I'd probably then trade both our 2nd picks to pick round the 20-21 mark and get some mean SOB on defensive line then trade back #31 for a second round pick this year and a 2nd round pick next year and plug up nose tackle with the 2nd.

It all depends on how they see this draft. I don't see Baalke trading Smith until he has big board for this year and next year all planned then go from there.
Originally posted by LWDNINERFAN:
Send Smith and 3rd pick to the chiefs for WR Dwayne Boe

this. although...i don tthink we'd have to send a pick to their team. I think they would take that straight up. Are we ready for a headcase though. I lived in kansas city for a year and cheifs fans always thought that dwayne bowe wasn't loyal to anyone but the almighty dollar and that he woudn't be a chief for long...
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Please give the 2nd rounder for Alex. Personally, I feel this is a weak draft class - I'd much rather have picks in next year's draft when the talent is supposed to great.

I agree this is a wak class at certain positions. But this draft is deep at DLine, and dats where we make our mark.
  • dj43
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

this. although...i don tthink we'd have to send a pick to their team. I think they would take that straight up. Are we ready for a headcase though. I lived in kansas city for a year and cheifs fans always thought that dwayne bowe wasn't loyal to anyone but the almighty dollar and that he woudn't be a chief for long...

Bowe is a head case and a turnover machine. Lot of talent but not enough to make up for the baggage he brings.

Lets assume that KC traded their 1st round pick for Smith. If that is the case who would we pick if we had the first pick in the draft?

Bowe is a FA, cant exactly trade for him. Rumor has it KC will tag him anyways. If he does hit FA, he's going to be in that $10 mil a year or more area. Way too expensive.
Share 49ersWebzone