There are 69 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Early Ghost mocking - 2013

Don't know anything about Jalil Brown, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of getting a player--and not just picks--for Smith. I'd be fine either way, of course, as long as we get something.

Can't help but notice you address WR quite a bit, with our most significant FA signing and two picks in the first four rounds. Meanwhile, you only address the secondary with Brown, one 3rd round CB, and two super late safeties that may not make the team.

I actually think WR is less of a draft need because I could easily see Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, and Williams all back and all productive. Not to mention here's hoping Jenkins shows up.

See our success developing mid-round CBs from within in Culliver and Brown, I'd like to see continued emphasis on this. For that reason, I like your 3rd round pick and may even advocate two CBs in the first 5 rounds. I would also want to see at least one developmental safety in a higher round.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Don't know anything about Jalil Brown, but I'm intrigued by the possibility of getting a player--and not just picks--for Smith. I'd be fine either way, of course, as long as we get something.

Can't help but notice you address WR quite a bit, with our most significant FA signing and two picks in the first four rounds. Meanwhile, you only address the secondary with Brown, one 3rd round CB, and two super late safeties that may not make the team.

I actually think WR is less of a draft need because I could easily see Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, and Williams all back and all productive. Not to mention here's hoping Jenkins shows up.

See our success developing mid-round CBs from within in Culliver and Brown, I'd like to see continued emphasis on this. For that reason, I like your 3rd round pick and may even advocate two CBs in the first 5 rounds. I would also want to see at least one developmental safety in a higher round.

Right now the 49ers have 2 WR's guaranteed to be back for the start of camp. I can't comprehend how you see that as less of a draft need. Manningham had a severe injury, one that means he likely won't be back for the start of the season. Kyle Williams might be back for the start of the season, but there's absolutely no guarantee as to what level he'll be performing at. Moss may retire, or he may go elsewhere, I wouldn't count on him as well. Ginn will be gone.

So your receivers are Michael Crabtree and AJ Jenkins. Additionally, even with Kyle Williams, he's a so-so slot receiver, not a great player by any means, meanwhile Manningham was a solid #3 at best, and that is before the gruesome injury. Even if both those guys were completely healthy, the 49ers could still use an upgrade at the position, they need a legit #2 WR opposite Crabtree and that guy is not on the roster at the moment.

At minimum, the 49ers should add 2 WR's through the draft and free agency.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Right now the 49ers have 2 WR's guaranteed to be back for the start of camp. I can't comprehend how you see that as less of a draft need. Manningham had a severe injury, one that means he likely won't be back for the start of the season. Kyle Williams might be back for the start of the season, but there's absolutely no guarantee as to what level he'll be performing at. Moss may retire, or he may go elsewhere, I wouldn't count on him as well. Ginn will be gone.

So your receivers are Michael Crabtree and AJ Jenkins. Additionally, even with Kyle Williams, he's a so-so slot receiver, not a great player by any means, meanwhile Manningham was a solid #3 at best, and that is before the gruesome injury. Even if both those guys were completely healthy, the 49ers could still use an upgrade at the position, they need a legit #2 WR opposite Crabtree and that guy is not on the roster at the moment.

Not much I can add to what Phx said about the WR situation other than the fact that if Moss returns, we'll likely still need to find 2 more WRs to open camp with. In terms of CB, I think going into training camp with 6 on the roster is pretty good. T-Brown, Rogers, Culliver, J-Brown, Cox and the rookie Webb make up a solid corps, and you can always add 1-2 Trumaine Brock types of UDFAs to the mix.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM ]
Do you prefer Sturgis to Hopkins out of FSU? Or do you think Hopkins is gone by that pick?

I don't disagree with much of what you said. This mock added 3 WRs, one more than your stated minimum of 2. I would agree with 2, and I would shift that extra resource to the secondary, a balance I think better addresses our present and future needs.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Do you prefer Sturgis to Hopkins out of FSU? Or do you think Hopkins is gone by that pick?

I think someone will grab Hopkins in the late 4th/early 5th. Since these 5th round picks are late in the round, I went with Sturgis.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by HomerJ:

I think someone will grab Hopkins in the late 4th/early 5th. Since these 5th round picks are late in the round, I went with Sturgis.

Damn the Colts for winning so many games, and making playoffs. Also if we get a comp 4th I am all for taking Hopkins with that pick. If not, then Sturgis is fine by me.

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Damn the Colts for winning so many games, and making playoffs. Also if we get a comp 4th I am all for taking Hopkins with that pick. If not, then Sturgis is fine by me.

Kinda feel like you guys are overvaluing the kickers in this draft. I really don't see any of them coming off the board until the late 5th round. There's substantially more teams with settled kicker situations this year, I just don't see the type of demand that would push the position up that far, even if Hopkins and Sturgis are gone, there's quite a few talented prospects beyond them as well.
I don't disagree with much of what you said. This mock added 3 WRs, one more than your stated minimum of 2. I would agree with 2, and I would shift that extra resource to the secondary, a balance I think better addresses our present and future needs.

I'm fine with that, I said 2 at minimum. 2 from the draft and a veteran from free agency isn't a bad way to go at all. Personally I would look at it as if I wouldn't be getting any contributions from Manningham next season, assuming that Moss and Ginn will be gone too....and plan accordingly.

Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Kinda feel like you guys are overvaluing the kickers in this draft. I really don't see any of them coming off the board until the late 5th round. There's substantially more teams with settled kicker situations this year, I just don't see the type of demand that would push the position up that far, even if Hopkins and Sturgis are gone, there's quite a few talented prospects beyond them as well.

Probably, but I think it would be wise of the 49ers to get the best kicker possible. I totally get maximizing the value of each pick, but sometimes when teams try to adhere to closely to that, they miss out on quality prospects grabbed earlier by other teams.
Did sanders declare? I have been calling for him for months
Originally posted by lamontb:
Love the drafts picks. Good job. I dont think Hunter will fall that far though. Its already being reported that Dixon will sign with the Eagles after the super bowl.

Who is Dixon?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Did sanders declare? I have been calling for him for months

He definitely declared and was thanking the good lord he did.
Montori Hughes is drafted earlier than "other" mock drafts but with that said what do you like in him? I did not see much of him in games so I don't have much to go on.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Montori Hughes is drafted earlier than "other" mock drafts but with that said what do you like in him? I did not see much of him in games so I don't have much to go on.

Part of it is a reaction to the market; more teams are going to the 3-4 and 6'4", 330ish quality NTs are at a premium. Another part of it is the combination of power, strength and quickness that he shows. He's got a really quick first step for a big man and holds up well against double teams...that will attract a lot of attention from teams looking to beef up their d-line. But again, my mock is super early and I'm projecting a lot of these guys to move up the boards in the next few months, so what looks right now to be a reach (pre-combine, pre-pro days, pre-interviews, post-free agency, etc.), might not be in April.