LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

Post-Senior Bowl 7-round 49ers mock draft

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
not crazy about drafting 2 wide receivers, one after the other. and yea washington IMO is going to be a 3-5 rd pick. washington is actually the OLB i would love to get. he seems very underrated to me. at the senior bowl he was consistently pushing back the RT and was stout against the run. we should pull the trigger on this guy with our 4th

Drafting WRs back to back worked in 1996 :)

I see WR and DL as biggest needs, so I hit them hard
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
not crazy about drafting 2 wide receivers, one after the other. and yea washington IMO is going to be a 3-5 rd pick. washington is actually the OLB i would love to get. he seems very underrated to me. at the senior bowl he was consistently pushing back the RT and was stout against the run. we should pull the trigger on this guy with our 4th

Drafting WRs back to back worked in 1996 :)

I see WR and DL as biggest needs, so I hit them hard

Which two WRS did the Niners draft back to back in 1996 that worked out?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Which two WRS did the Niners draft back to back in 1996 that worked out?

This. That was the Sam Manuel draft, I know TO got drafted then but I remember the talk about the Manuel twins.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Love the re-signings and the first pick, but not sure about the rest of it.

- I doubt Moss retires, and Manningham is under contract next year (which means we won't have to draft two WRs in the first 3 picks)
- Seriously doubt Cornelius Washington lasts until the 7th
- Don't think it's wise to use a 3rd rounder on a safety after re-signing Goldson (especially since you have Spillman and Robinson as back-ups already)
- A late round development safety (maybe another converted CB like Goldson) would be fine

- I think moss retires if he gets a super bowl ring.
- Washington is 200 - 250 on most boards and mocks I've seen
- he's a replacement for Whitner

You might be right about Moss, but something tells me he will come back for one more season (at Harbaugh's urging). Most people didn't know much about Washington before the Senior Bowl; they do now (great measureables, solid week of practice and an excellent game) and his stock is definitely trending up. Didn't see the Swearinger-replacement-for-Whitner comment (my bad). Wouldn't be mad at that pick at all.
Two compensatory picks – one in the 4th and one in the 7th.

Losses: WR Randy Moss (retired), CB Tramaine Brock, G Leonard Davis, WR Ted Ginn, LB Larry Grant, DL Isaac Sopoaga, S Darcel McBath, QB Alex Smith, K David Akers, OLB Parys Haralson, K David Akers, WR Mario Manningham

Re-Signed: FS Dashon Goldson, DL Ricky-Jean Francois, TE Delanie Walker, LB Tavares Gooden

Signed: backup defensive back, #4 or #5 WR (like a Chaz Schilens, Roscoe Parrish, or someone like that), backup LB

Round 1, pick 32 – Jesse Williams, DL, Alabama 6-3, 320 lbs – I'm starting to like this pick a lot. While most people see him as a nose tackle, I see him as a defensive end with the ability to play the nose. The guy plays a very good 5-technique and played that for all of 2011. He gives us versatility across the DL.

Round 2, pick 32 – Robert Woods, WR, USC, 6-1, 190 lbs – Yes, he will fall this far – just like Rueben Randle did last year. He's a bit underweight and isn't amazing against press coverage, and drops passes – that's why he falls this far. But Trent Baalke LOVES production, and nobody produced more than Robert Woods. Beautiful deep threat for Kaepernick, and he can return punts and kicks – so Ginn can walk.

Round 3, pick 12 (from CAR) - Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennesse Tech, 6-3, 215 – yes, another BPA pick and another WR. Big, physical WR that can block, break tackles, and move the chains. With this locker room, I'm not concerned about character issues.

Round 3, pick 32 - D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina, 6-0 205 - Versatile Safety who can play both free and strong; solid in the run game. Replacement for Whitner at some point

Round 4, pick 32 - Kwame Geathers, DT, Georgia - 6-5 350 - a big man to develop. not sure if he's ready to play immeditely.

Round 4, compensatory - Dallas Thomas, OT, Tennessee, 6-5 305 - Swing Tackle.

Round 5, pick 24 (from IND) - Braxston Cave, C/G, Notre Dame 6-3 305 - Potential future C if Kilgore doesn't pan out

Round 5, pick 32 - Matt Scott, QB, Arizona, 6-2 205 - Dual-threat quarterback who can run the pistol and read-option if Kaepernick goes down.

Round 6, pick 12 (from MIA) - A.J. Klein, LB, Iowa State, 6-1, 245 - backup for Willis & Bowman. Can play OLB.

Round 6, pick 32 – Brett Maher, K, Nebraska – A kicker!

Round 7, pick 21 (from CIN) - Cornelius Washington, DE/OLB, Georgia - 6-4 265 - Depth

Round 7, pick 32 - A.J. Francis, DL, Maryland - 6-5 325 - developmental prospect that we may be able to stash on the PS

Round 7, compensatory - Terrence Brown, CB, Stanford - 6-0 190 - not sure why he declared early. He's expected to be a 6th or 7th round pick

I liked this draft, I did not like the Cave pick. I liked the kicker and the heavy on the defense approach. Pretty balanced in my opinion.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
-49ers need to add a CB much earlier, its not a luxury to just ignore the position, Brock is gone and Tarell Brown will be a free agent looking for a big raise shortly, realistically he needs to be replaced and the time to do that is this offseason.

-Cave is awful, he's been dominated by virtually every top level opponent he's faced.

-Its highly doubtful that Dallas Thomas lasts beyond the early 3rd round.

-Swearinger is a great pick and would fit in well with this defense.

Agree with Phoenix on this plus a big thumbs up for the Jesse Williams pick.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Drafting a WR in the 2nd is basically saying that Jenkins is a bust. I certainly hope that is not the case. Also, I can't see us keeping all of our picks, so I personally like drafts that either have us consolidate our picks, or trade some of them for next year.
Originally posted by fryet:
Drafting a WR in the 2nd is basically saying that Jenkins is a bust. I certainly hope that is not the case. Also, I can't see us keeping all of our picks, so I personally like drafts that either have us consolidate our picks, or trade some of them for next year.

How so exactly? Moss could retire, Manningham won't be back for the start of next season, Ginn is gone.

Your WR's for next season look like this................Crabtree, Jenkins, Kyle Williams. There's nothing wrong with taking another WR early.

How so exactly? Moss could retire, Manningham won't be back for the start of next season, Ginn is gone.

Your WR's for next season look like this................Crabtree, Jenkins, Kyle Williams. There's nothing wrong with taking another WR early.

Nope. But taking WRs with 2 of your first 3 picks is.
Not crazy about this draft Nick. I just dont see the wisdom of drafting a WR in both rd 2 and rd 3 when the Niners have other needs. You basically neglect CB and OLB totally (I dont count 7th rd picks as really addressing the position) .

The weakest positional groups, without question, are WRs and defensive line
- you wouldn't take woods in the late 2nd? Rogers isn't BPA?
- CB is extremely deep.

I like the focus on WR and DL.... however, I'm not sure it's the best idea to cut Manningham. He was possibly my favorite FA acquisition last year. If Moss retires, we should keep Manningham on PUP until he's 100% which could be early into the regular season. That might mean we don't address WR as highly as a 2nd and a 3rd. I think saving one of those picks for a CB would be smart.

I also don't think that Harbaugh and Balke have in anyway given up on AJ Jenkins. They will develop him in year 2. Which means I doubt they spend two fairly high picks on WRs.

Instead of a second WR, I see them going for a pass-catching TE and letting Walker walk (expensive and bad hands).
[ Edited by blm7754 on Jan 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM ]

That would be a very young group of WRs. With a young QB, I think you need WRs that are going to be reliable in their assignments and reads. I'd like to see the team convince Moss to stick around for 1 more year, draft a WR in round 2-3 and then maybe another in 5-6.
Stopped reading after Losses Issac Sopoaga

That I agree with.
I used to do mocks every year and then I realized how much time in my life I was wasting. Now I just read what others waste their time coming up with. This is comparable to looking up in the sky and guessing which star's solar system has life in it.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Love the re-signings and the first pick, but not sure about the rest of it.

- I doubt Moss retires, and Manningham is under contract next year (which means we won't have to draft two WRs in the first 3 picks)
- Seriously doubt Cornelius Washington lasts until the 7th
- Don't think it's wise to use a 3rd rounder on a safety after re-signing Goldson (especially since you have Spillman and Robinson as back-ups already)
- A late round development safety (maybe another converted CB like Goldson) would be fine
Just heard them say on ESPN that he plans to play one more year.
Share 49ersWebzone