LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 397 users in the forums

If we 'reached' for Margus Hunt at #32, what would your reaction be?

If we 'reached' for Margus Hunt at #32, what would your reaction be?

You're right on it nick, I've seen his name everywhere. The only negative I've read is that Margus takes plays off.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I do not think that the team should reach for Margus Hunt.

After the Senior Bowl, it seems that Donte Jones will gone when we pick in the first.

Sharrif Floyd may be on the board when we draft, but his pass rushing production has not been great.
In three years, he has had 2.5 sacks and 11 quarterback hurries.
But, with 100 tackles and 24 tackles for a loss, Floyd does seem strong against the run.

Kapron Lewis-Moore might have value as a late round pick, but he blew out his knee in the championship game.
In four years, he had 9.5 sacks, 15 tackles for a loss, 15 quarterback hurries, and 112 tackles.

David Bass, who is about the same size as Justin Smith was when he entered the draft is another possibility.
Bass is strong, relentless, and very productive. In four years, he had 39.5 sacks and 56 tackles for a loss.
My sense is that he is more of a DE than an OLB.

Instead of reaching for Margus Hunt, I would consider using a mid to later round pick on Bass and a late round pick on Lewis-Moore.

At 32, we should take the Best Player available.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 25, 2013 at 10:34 AM ]
I would have mixed feeling probably say the same thing when they drafted Aldon Smith. WTF were they thinking but hey, look how that has turned out....
I have no idea if they are running a 3-4 or a 4-3 in Mobile. I would guess a 4-3, and Hunt has never played in a four man front. He has been taught the last 4 years to occupy blockers, and if he is playing as a 4-3 end, he is suddenly being asked to rush the QB and use his agility. That could have had a massive impact on how he did in senior bowl practice.

His physical gifts, potential and attitude are going to get him drafted in the first two rounds regardless of how he did at the senior bowl. I hope we're the ones that take him.
Originally posted by buck:

After the Senior Bowl, it seems that Donte Jones will gone when we pick in the first.

Sharrif Floyd may be on the board when we draft, but his pass rushing production has not been great.
But, with 100 tackles and 24 tackles for a loss, Floyd does seem strong against the run.

Kapron Lewis-Moore might have value as a late round pick, but he blew out his knee in the championship game.
In four years, he had 9.5 sacks, 15 tackles for a loss, 15 quarterback hurries, and 112 tackles.

David Bass, who is about the same size as Justin Smith was when he entered the draft is another possibility.
Bass is strong, relentless, and very productive. In four years, he had 39.5 sacks and 56 tackles for a loss.

Instead of reaching for Margus Hunt, I would consider using a mid to later round pick on Bass and a late round pick on Lewis-Moore.

Are there any draft sites that differentiate between 4-3 players and 3-4 players? I would like to get a list of players who are 3-4 players on defense and then players who would do well in a spread offense.

I have not seen Bass on any of the draft boards yet.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by buck:

Are there any draft sites that differentiate between 4-3 players and 3-4 players? I would like to get a list of players who are 3-4 players on defense and then players who would do well in a spread offense.

I have not seen Bass on any of the draft boards yet.

http://www.drafttek.com/

Not sure how great this site really is though. By the way, they have David Bass as basically an undrafted OLB at this point.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jan 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by anniepeep2:
I have no idea if they are running a 3-4 or a 4-3 in Mobile. I would guess a 4-3, and Hunt has never played in a four man front. He has been taught the last 4 years to occupy blockers, and if he is playing as a 4-3 end, he is suddenly being asked to rush the QB and use his agility. That could have had a massive impact on how he did in senior bowl practice.

His physical gifts, potential and attitude are going to get him drafted in the first two rounds regardless of how he did at the senior bowl. I hope we're the ones that take him.

This.

Most intelligent scouts/GMs don't make their decisions on a week's worth of all-star game practices (good or bad). It factors in, but so does all the game tape, college productivity/competition level, coaches interviews, combine results (height/weight/speed/strength/agility/intelligence), scheme fit, floor/ceiling projections, etc.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

This.

Most intelligent scouts/GMs don't make their decisions on a week's worth of all-star game practices (good or bad). It factors in, but so does all the game tape, college productivity/competition level, coaches interviews, combine results (height/weight/speed/strength/agility/intelligence), scheme fit, floor/ceiling projections, etc.

Are you calling Maddog unintelligent? Just kidding. Most observers have really knocked Hunt this week.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

This.

Are you calling Maddog unintelligent? Just kidding. Most observers have really knocked Hunt this week.

No, not at all...MD and I might disagree here and there, but he's a sharp character.

I'll put it this way; here's a snippet from my "favorite" online scout:

Russell Wilson and players who hurt their draft stock during practices - by Russ Lande, AOL Sporting News, Jan. 27, 2012
Russell Wilson, QB, Wisconsin, 5-10½, 203, 4.60; projected free agent.

After a great senior season in which he led Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl, Wilson did not fare as well at the Senior Bowl. It started off badly when he measured under 5-11, and then he struggled with accuracy throughout the week. He showed good mechanics to get rid of the ball quickly and a very strong arm to make every NFL throw without a problem. However, teams can't ignore his height and lack of consistency as a pocket passer. He likely won't be drafted because his performance this week showed that he will be, at best, a backup quarterback in the NFL.

I rest my case.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM ]
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
We do need a DL and DB. I didnt like the Aldon Pick and look how that turned out. I thrust our managemnt.

No, not at all...MD and I might disagree here and there, but he's a sharp character.

I'll put it this way; here's a snippet from my "favorite" online scout:

Russell Wilson and players who hurt their draft stock during practices - by Russ Lande, AOL Sporting News, Jan. 27, 2012
Russell Wilson, QB, Wisconsin, 5-10½, 203, 4.60; projected free agent.

After a great senior season in which he led Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl, Wilson did not fare as well at the Senior Bowl. It started off badly when he measured under 5-11, and then he struggled with accuracy throughout the week. He showed good mechanics to get rid of the ball quickly and a very strong arm to make every NFL throw without a problem. However, teams can't ignore his height and lack of consistency as a pocket passer. He likely won't be drafted because his performance this week showed that he will be, at best, a backup quarterback in the NFL.

I rest my case.
Russ Lande might be the worst around.
^^ Lande is a total hack.
Being that I did my undergrad at SMU, and now a grad student there.......well, needless to say I'd be ecstatic.
[ Edited by DynastyChile on Jan 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM ]

Not sure how great this site really is though. By the way, they have David Bass as basically an undrafted OLB at this point.

Drafttek was very helpful and even had David Bass in the 3/4 OLB section. Thanks for the info.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Drafttek was very helpful and even had David Bass in the 3/4 OLB section. Thanks for the info.

No problem man.
Share 49ersWebzone