There are 185 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If we 'reached' for Margus Hunt at #32, what would your reaction be?

If we 'reached' for Margus Hunt at #32, what would your reaction be?

Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
If we're picking at 32 I can care less as long as its not an oline man. I still trust baalke even after the Jenkins debacle

Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Greg Oden, Sam Bowie...that's a debacle. Jenkins is a VERY slow-developing, late-first round rookie WR on a championship-caliber team. His complete lack of production has had no ill effect on this team in any way.

Btw, I say give it at least another year (maybe even two) before completely dismissing rookie draft picks.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Uhhh, I wouldn't spend a 7th rounder on him. From the film above, here are my observations:

-Poor tackler.... he tackles high, allowing runners to bounce off of him and pick up extra yards.

-Not a dominant force in pass rush. He's too slow off the ball to be a good edge rusher, and he lacks the power to collapse the pocket from the inside. That is likely due to his height, as it looks like he get's stood up quickly by opposing linemen.

-Reads plays and sheds blocks fairly well. Which means he would be a decent run defender (if he could tackle).

Bottom line... with a first round pick, we need a good run defender that can also dominate the OL and collapse the pocket as an inside pass rusher. I'd peg this guy as a 4th-5th rounder. A developmental guy. If he can add some bulk to his 6'8" frame, then he could be a dominate force down the road. But he's far from it now.

Hmmmm. SO he could be a dominant force and you peg him as a 4th rd guy but wouldnt take him with a 7th rounder. Nice post.

I wouldn't take him with a 7th round pick because the 49ers already have several young guys that are good run defenders but suck at inside pass rush. He might be a good 4th or 5th round pick for a team that needs that skill set. We do not.

Clear enough for you now

Not really. The Niners are in need of a 3-4 DE and you wouldnt take a guy with big upside with your 7th pick. Yep. Clear as mud.
Uhhh, I wouldn't spend a 7th rounder on him. From the film above, here are my observations:

-Poor tackler.... he tackles high, allowing runners to bounce off of him and pick up extra yards.

-Not a dominant force in pass rush. He's too slow off the ball to be a good edge rusher, and he lacks the power to collapse the pocket from the inside. That is likely due to his height, as it looks like he get's stood up quickly by opposing linemen.

-Reads plays and sheds blocks fairly well. Which means he would be a decent run defender (if he could tackle).

Bottom line... with a first round pick, we need a good run defender that can also dominate the OL and collapse the pocket as an inside pass rusher. I'd peg this guy as a 4th-5th rounder. A developmental guy. If he can add some bulk to his 6'8" frame, then he could be a dominate force down the road. But he's far from it now.

Hmmmm. SO he could be a dominant force and you peg him as a 4th rd guy but wouldnt take him with a 7th rounder. Nice post.

I wouldn't take him with a 7th round pick because the 49ers already have several young guys that are good run defenders but suck at inside pass rush. He might be a good 4th or 5th round pick for a team that needs that skill set. We do not.

Clear enough for you now

Not really. The Niners are in need of a 3-4 DE and you wouldnt take a guy with big upside with your 7th pick. Yep. Clear as mud.

We need a DE who can replace Justin Smith in a year and contribute significantly in the rotation as a rookie. This video shows a guy with some physical upside but TERRIBLE fundamentals. We have Demarcus Dobbs and Ian Williams as developmental players. That's why I'd pass.

That is pretty clear... whether or not you agree with my opinion is your issue.
I think we need two 3-4 DEs. One who can contribute relatively soon as a rotational guy (Sharrif Floyd, Datone Jones, Jesse Williams, Quinton Dial), and one to be developed over the next 2-3 years (Margus Hunt, Devin Taylor, William Gholston, Joe Kruger, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Baker Steinkhuler, Malliciah Goodman, Dave Kruger, etc.).
We need a DE who can replace Justin Smith in a year and contribute significantly in the rotation as a rookie. This video shows a guy with some physical upside but TERRIBLE fundamentals. We have Demarcus Dobbs and Ian Williams as developmental players. That's why I'd pass.

That is pretty clear... whether or not you agree with my opinion is your issue.

I just find your post funny. I would get it if you didnt want to spend a first or 2nd on him. However, when you say you wouldnt use a 7th rounder on a guy with his upside it makes me laugh. A 7th rd pick hardly ever contributes right away but often taken on upside potential. By the way, the two guys you would count on instead, Dobbs and Williams, were both undrafted players without anything close to the potential of Hunt.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I think we need two 3-4 DEs. One who can contribute relatively soon as a rotational guy (Sharrif Floyd, Datone Jones, Jesse Williams, Quinton Dial), and one to be developed over the next 2-3 years (Margus Hunt, Devin Taylor, William Gholston, Joe Kruger, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Baker Steinkhuler, Malliciah Goodman, Dave Kruger, etc.).

I agree with this. I have been a big supporter of Floyd and Williams and would love to get one of them in Rd 1. I think the Niners really need to get 2 DL out of this draft. I wouldnt even mind using their first 2 picks that way.
Originally posted by Elric:
He is a little older than regular player that must be a consideration. Theat maybe what knocks him into the 2nd round.

I consider that a positive because he plays DL
At this point, he would be completely overmatched. Watching him at the Senior Bowl, he would strictly be limited to a 43 DE position right now. Way too thin and not stout enough to hold the edge. More like a tall 34 backer, wothout the explosiveness going forward or coverage skills in reverse. He has look really raw this week. I don't think he is draftable by the team at all right now.

I know the player is intriguing for many, but I honestly don't think he will be on the teams' board.

The player to watch for the team is Datone Jones, who has been terrific this week, and can kick inside to rush the passer on third down. Hunt is way behind Jones in talent right now.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 24, 2013 at 6:50 PM ]
Dont like the idea.

Just because he's an athletic freak doesn't mean he will be good in the NFL. Lots of hype right now.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

None of the "top" guys that are within our reach are really wow players. I would take KLM and wait for the proper replacement for Justin. We dont need an impact guy now....just a rotation guy to give some breathers.
Rather have Kawann Short.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-Summary-Eight-Players-Who-Struggled-Most-This-Week-9891.html

Senior Bowl Summary - Eight Players Who Struggled Most This Week

4. Margus Hunt, DE, SMU (6082, 277 and 4.77): A player that I was so excited to see this week, Hunt was one of the bigger disappointments throughout the practices. Although he looks the part of a power defensive end and flashed the natural explosion that NFL teams love, most of the time he was a non-factor. For a player with such natural athleticism, he looked robotic and mechanical most of the time and struggled to defeat blocks. He played upright and high and struggled to disengage from blocks, which led to him being unproductive much of the week. For a player many expected to dominate this week to secure a spot in the first round, Hunt's performance this week raises real questions as to whether he deserves to be drafted before the third or fourth round.
Baalke and Harbaugh have not picked anyone even remotely close to any projections in the last two years. I really doubt they will this year either.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Baalke and Harbaugh have not picked anyone even remotely close to any projections in the last two years. I really doubt they will this year either.

Keap was an easy projection.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
That's the 100% truth. Definitely are outside the box thinkers and evaluators.