There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If we 'reached' for Margus Hunt at #32, what would your reaction be?

If we 'reached' for Margus Hunt at #32, what would your reaction be?

Coach Tomsula says 2nd round.
How many people correctly picked our first pick over the last two years? Only thing I am confident of is that if the press thinks we are taking this guy, you can be sure that is who we are not taking.
Originally posted by a24hrdad:
How many people correctly picked our first pick over the last two years? Only thing I am confident of is that if the press thinks we are taking this guy, you can be sure that is who we are not taking.

NT is the bigger need. If there is no NT that e are thrilled with at our pick, then anything is a possibility.

I really think we go NT if one of top 3 or 4 are there.
Originally posted by a24hrdad:

LOL....this.

Wouldn't shock me in the slightest to see them take a CB or WR in the late 1st round.
Him being 6'8 does scare me more than his age
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Walter Football is a fun site to look at but there mocks arent the best. We shall see where Hunt gets slotted after this week as he hasnt impressed from what I have read. I look at him now as a 2nd round prospect and not someone you want to chance in the first.

This
Originally posted by lamontb:
Him being 6'8 does scare me more than his age

Doesnt scare me at all, i could see him being a nightmare for short guys like russell wilson trying to find passing lanes, Could be a pass blocking machine.
Won't be a reach when April comes around. Hunt has a ton of potential, and should be an early 2nd rd pick at worst. I wouldn't be mad with this pick.

My fav guys for pick 31 or 32 whatever we have.

Jesse Williams
Sharif Floyd
Margus Hunt
Sheldon Richardson
Johhathan Hankins
John Jenkins
Kawann Short

As you can see I want DL first round, then in rd 2 DL as well. This is all depending on re-signings, Goldson, RJF and Sopoaga. Plus do we extend Justin Smith, which makes sense, but who knows, maybe we wait for 2014 offseason, which isn't the best idea IMO.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Uhhh, I wouldn't spend a 7th rounder on him. From the film above, here are my observations:

-Poor tackler.... he tackles high, allowing runners to bounce off of him and pick up extra yards.

-Not a dominant force in pass rush. He's too slow off the ball to be a good edge rusher, and he lacks the power to collapse the pocket from the inside. That is likely due to his height, as it looks like he get's stood up quickly by opposing linemen.

-Reads plays and sheds blocks fairly well. Which means he would be a decent run defender (if he could tackle).

Bottom line... with a first round pick, we need a good run defender that can also dominate the OL and collapse the pocket as an inside pass rusher. I'd peg this guy as a 4th-5th rounder. A developmental guy. If he can add some bulk to his 6'8" frame, then he could be a dominate force down the road. But he's far from it now.

Hmmmm. SO he could be a dominant force and you peg him as a 4th rd guy but wouldnt take him with a 7th rounder. Nice post.

I wouldn't take him with a 7th round pick because the 49ers already have several young guys that are good run defenders but suck at inside pass rush. He might be a good 4th or 5th round pick for a team that needs that skill set. We do not.

Clear enough for you now
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I wouldn't care, if that's who they felt was the best talent available. The last guy we drafted in that general area (36th overall in 2011) who was considered talented and incredibly athletic but also a "long-term project" has led us to the Super Bowl in his second year. In other words, if that's the guy they pick, I trust Baalke/Harbaugh/the scouts more than I do my own evaluation skills.

this, plus everyone questioned the Aldon Smith and LMJ picks, I'm cheering for anyone that Baalke/Harbaugh pick
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Won't be a reach when April comes around. Hunt has a ton of potential, and should be an early 2nd rd pick at worst. I wouldn't be mad with this pick.

My fav guys for pick 31 or 32 whatever we have.

Jesse Williams
Sharif Floyd
Margus Hunt
Sheldon Richardson
Johhathan Hankins
John Jenkins
Kawann Short

As you can see I want DL first round, then in rd 2 DL as well. This is all depending on re-signings, Goldson, RJF and Sopoaga. Plus do we extend Justin Smith, which makes sense, but who knows, maybe we wait for 2014 offseason, which isn't the best idea IMO.

I dont think Cowboy is a necessity to resign right now IMO. I dont think he will want to go to another team at his age. I think if he desides to continue playing past his contract then he will negotiate a fair deal to stay with the 9ers.
yes he is a 2nd-3rd rd. guy. Would love to take him our 2nd after moving up to the top of the 2nd to grab david amerson or desmond trufont
Hunt is one of those guys that in 2-3 years, with the right coaching and enough patience, people will be saying, "how/why did we pass on him?" He's got all the tools, the size, the abilities and the desire, but he clearly hasn't been playing football long enough, or coached up properly in college. Get him paired with the right d-line coach and with veterans who can teach him the craft of playing the defensive line, and he could be a very disruptive 3-4 DE.

The flipside to that is, if he gets thrown in to the wrong situation, asked to do too much too soon and doesn't get coached up properly, he'll bust out of the league in no time. Unlike a lot of guys who have been playing football since they were kids and learned the basics early on, Hunt (and Ansah) will need the right support to make it.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM ]
If we're picking at 32 I can care less as long as its not an oline man. I still trust baalke even after the Jenkins debacle
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Keep in mind that our first round pick is basically a 2nd round pick. We either grab someone that fell in the first round, or we take someone that was slotted for the 2nd.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home