There are 211 users in the forums

If we 'reached' for Margus Hunt at #32, what would your reaction be?

If we 'reached' for Margus Hunt at #32, what would your reaction be?

Both mocks at Walterfootball have us taking SMU DL Margus Hunt with the 32nd overall pick. He's considered a second or third rounder (early 3rd) by many.

Personally, I'd be happy with the pick. my only concern is his ability to gain leverage at 6-8.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013_1.php
http://walterfootball.com/draft2013charlie_1.php
Knee-jerk reaction MIGHT end up being a bit of displeasure. Ultimately, I believe I would be nodding at the time and then soon after, saying, "okay.. they did their homework, and I have no reason to distrust the scouting department and decision."
I trust Baalke/JH so I guess a feeling of resignation. They know A LOT more than I ever will and they done pretty good so far - let it ride.
I would probably get a little excited. If his skills can translate. I really think there are younger prospects at multiple positions of need at our pick so this guy would have to knock it out of the park.
Walter Football is a fun site to look at but there mocks arent the best. We shall see where Hunt gets slotted after this week as he hasnt impressed from what I have read. I look at him now as a 2nd round prospect and not someone you want to chance in the first.
I wouldn't care, if that's who they felt was the best talent available. The last guy we drafted in that general area (36th overall in 2011) who was considered talented and incredibly athletic but also a "long-term project" has led us to the Super Bowl in his second year. In other words, if that's the guy they pick, I trust Baalke/Harbaugh/the scouts more than I do my own evaluation skills.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM ]
Seems to be blocked pretty easy in the film above. Maybe we should take that OT from TCU if Hunt is consired a 1st rounder!
If the top 3 NT's are off the board, then i would be fine with the pick.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
He is a little older than regular player that must be a consideration. Theat maybe what knocks him into the 2nd round.
Uhhh, I wouldn't spend a 7th rounder on him. From the film above, here are my observations:

-Poor tackler.... he tackles high, allowing runners to bounce off of him and pick up extra yards.

-Not a dominant force in pass rush. He's too slow off the ball to be a good edge rusher, and he lacks the power to collapse the pocket from the inside. That is likely due to his height, as it looks like he get's stood up quickly by opposing linemen.

-Reads plays and sheds blocks fairly well. Which means he would be a decent run defender (if he could tackle).

Bottom line... with a first round pick, we need a good run defender that can also dominate the OL and collapse the pocket as an inside pass rusher. I'd peg this guy as a 4th-5th rounder. A developmental guy. If he can add some bulk to his 6'8" frame, then he could be a dominate force down the road. But he's far from it now.

Originally posted by blm7754:
Uhhh, I wouldn't spend a 7th rounder on him. From the film above, here are my observations:

-Poor tackler.... he tackles high, allowing runners to bounce off of him and pick up extra yards.

-Not a dominant force in pass rush. He's too slow off the ball to be a good edge rusher, and he lacks the power to collapse the pocket from the inside. That is likely due to his height, as it looks like he get's stood up quickly by opposing linemen.

-Reads plays and sheds blocks fairly well. Which means he would be a decent run defender (if he could tackle).

Bottom line... with a first round pick, we need a good run defender that can also dominate the OL and collapse the pocket as an inside pass rusher. I'd peg this guy as a 4th-5th rounder. A developmental guy. If he can add some bulk to his 6'8" frame, then he could be a dominate force down the road. But he's far from it now.

Hmmmm. SO he could be a dominant force and you peg him as a 4th rd guy but wouldnt take him with a 7th rounder. Nice post.
I'd take a wait and see approach like I did with AJ Jenkins. Happy with the positional choice and trusting of our scouting. Hunt probably goes late 1st early 2nd to someone, and for good reason. Hindsight tho, I preferred several WR's to Jenkins last year and hate the fact I was probably right about Harbaalke's swing and miss.
to me as of now, 1st is too early for him, now if we took him in the 2nd i would be okay
Suswell would want to kick Baalke's ass again.
If Baalke and Harbaugh liked him I would believe that our coaches could develop the skills in him that we needed. He would also be under the tutelage of cowboy and if he did not make it he would be in the best shape of his life. I can hardly wait to see who they will pick
Share 49ersWebzone