LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Trade a 3rd and 5th Round Draft Picks for Darrelle Revis?

Trade a 3rd and 5th Round Draft Picks for Darrelle Revis?

Originally posted by glorydayz:
I think I'm confussed; didn't we just make it to the super bowl without Revis? Didn't we face every top qb this year? Why on gods green earth would we take on that type of salary?

This would be like trading draft picks plus Alex Smith, Goldson, and every other pending free agent on our team for 1 guy tht we don't need! Not a very good way to do buisness.

This again!
If he wants to win a Superbowl...he would be wise to come to SF and get paid like a top CB and not a top 5 NFL player.
I'd rather take carlos, Revis is expenisve and injury prone. Atleast carolos is on the field every game.
Absolute fantasy!

He's looking for a 100M like Mario got.

We could get 3 top tier players for that jack.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/revis_wants_to_run_dash_N7JtAAmUowI7BwNng58MAP
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
rather lockup Goldson.
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
I was referring more to the 1st round pick this year, but...Culliver was a suprise (anyone would admit it), Aldon and Hunter each played situationally and Bruce Miller was a hand picked project by Harbaugh.

If our 1st round picks are going to be in the 30s and they are going to continue to be AJ Jenkins, then I would argue that Revis (and his new contract) would be far more valuable than a suspect receiver that was inactive for a vast majority of the year.

That is one player our of how many? I don't expect to many more "redshirted" draft picks. Moss will be gone so there will be room at receiver. If we draft a quality TE they will play. Any defensive line players most likely will play. We have two OLB that would've played this year is they didn't get hurt (Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson). I also expect the rookies we draft this year and our rookies last year to push virtually all of our less productive backups for playing time (any defensive line backup not named Ricky Jean-Francois), Delanie Walker, Tramaine Brock, etc. There will be many holes to fill so I don't think what happened with AJ Jenkins will become the norm.

We also have to think about the longterm future of the team. Signing a guy like Revis not only disrupts our cap, but also may have other players expecting to receive top player money.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
That is one player our of how many? I don't expect to many more "redshirted" draft picks. Moss will be gone so there will be room at receiver. If we draft a quality TE they will play. Any defensive line players most likely will play. We have two OLB that would've played this year is they didn't get hurt (Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson). I also expect the rookies we draft this year and our rookies last year to push virtually all of our less productive backups for playing time (any defensive line backup not named Ricky Jean-Francois), Delanie Walker, Tramaine Brock, etc. There will be many holes to fill so I don't think what happened with AJ Jenkins will become the norm.

We also have to think about the longterm future of the team. Signing a guy like Revis not only disrupts our cap, but also may have other players expecting to receive top player money.

This IMO is the most destructive effect of signing a big money like that....other players who have been around for awhile, who have made concessions in the past, will look at this and say "f**k that, I'm gonna get mine too."
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
I posted this in the NFL thread on the same subject but Revis is only owed 6 million next year. That's a reasonable amount for a one-year rental. He'd also be forced to play under that number because holding out would turn his 4 year contract into a 7 year contract with the last three years coming at 3 million per year. Basically the only way I see the 49ers going after Revis is for a one-year rental where he'll be auditioning for that 100 million dollar contract he's looking for. The front office isn't foolish enough to sign a guy to 16+ million per year. The 49ers would be smart to trade for him if the price isn't ridiculous. I think Alex Smith, Parys Haralson, Carlos Rogers, or some other non-core player would have to be involved because the 49ers aren't going to be paying out the ass with draft picks for a one-year kind of guy.

Here's some good stuff on Revis' contract.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
I was referring more to the 1st round pick this year, but...Culliver was a suprise (anyone would admit it), Aldon and Hunter each played situationally and Bruce Miller was a hand picked project by Harbaugh.

If our 1st round picks are going to be in the 30s and they are going to continue to be AJ Jenkins, then I would argue that Revis (and his new contract) would be far more valuable than a suspect receiver that was inactive for a vast majority of the year.

Re-upping our key players is a good point. My overall point was that we seem to be valuing draft picks less because our roster has been improved so much. The draft pick price is well worth a corner of Revis' caliber. I agree with you that I would not want to financially mortgage the future for him. If Baalke could find a way to make it work though I would gleefully give up the 32nd pick.
[ Edited by Rathman_44 on Jan 29, 2013 at 7:02 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone