LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Trade a 3rd and 5th Round Draft Picks for Darrelle Revis?

Trade a 3rd and 5th Round Draft Picks for Darrelle Revis?

• cgida
  • Veteran
Would trading Alex and his salary for Revis be a balanced trade? If so why not?
Absolutely no dont need 'em dont want 'em
All we would do is waste his talents anyway by having him play 10 yds in off coverage.
Bad attitude and would want a huge contract extension. No way.
Fangio and Donatell do not need superstars to play their defense. The Eagles showed how futile it can be to bring in super players from other teams and hope they can gel in yours.

Baalke is the anti-Eagle when it comes to contracts and signing FAs. The only major FA he has signed, that I can recall, was Cowboy and he is worth every penny. The rest of the FAs were reasonably inexpensive. Moss, Jacobs, Rogers, Whitner...most of the guys he picked up were mid level to lower level contracts.

Revis wants to be the highest paid DB in the NFL, and may deserve it, but it seems impossible the 9ers would pull off a deal like this. Plus they like their young guys.
I agree with the majority on this thread. However, lets look at it this way.......

Lets say we win the Super bowl. Alex Smith is gone for a draft pick or 2 and so are a few other guys, with the core remaining just like last year. Would you guys be willing to spend a few draft picks (and/or maybe a player) to get Revis even for just a year at the chance to Repeat for the Super bowl? - assuming there is a way to get under the cap with him?

Essentially sacrificing the future (draft picks) on winning in the present.

I dont really remember the specifics, but wouldn't this be similar to the Deion Sanders signing?
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
I agree with the majority on this thread. However, lets look at it this way.......

Lets say we win the Super bowl. Alex Smith is gone for a draft pick or 2 and so are a few other guys, with the core remaining just like last year. Would you guys be willing to spend a few draft picks (and/or maybe a player) to get Revis even for just a year at the chance to Repeat for the Super bowl? - assuming there is a way to get under the cap with him?

Essentially sacrificing the future (draft picks) on winning in the present.

I dont really remember the specifics, but wouldn't this be similar to the Deion Sanders signing?

The problem is Baalke's sense of balance in salaries...or I should say the good thing is his sense of balance. He knows if he allows one area to take too much of the cap it will create a competitive rush among some of the players to be recognized by contract size. It seems to me that this coaching staff really excels at blending good players into a successful system. The key defenders who have super skills are J Smith, Willis, Bowman and Aldon...only one FA in the bunch. They may not be able to keep all these guys when contracts are up and signing Revis to what he is asking would make it a sure thing that many would have to go. I may have this all wrong and Revis may be willing to modify his contract to play for a super bowl team...doubt it.
I predict that the Broncos trade a second round pick for him, maybe a 2nd and a 4th
I gotta agree that we really dont need him. Our pass defense was pretty good this year and Revis would only cause cap issues. I think Defensive line and OLB depth are more critical to us than upgrading the CB position. He is more of a luxury that we cannot afford.
Bring in Revis, say goodbye to Aldon and Crabtree. Personally I think having a dominant pass rush is much more important, if you can consistently pressure the QB, the quality of cornerback that you need goes down quite a bit. This team won't be able to offer 10 mil+ a year to guys in every single position out on the field, no need for someone overpriced when you draft talented young cornerbacks on the cheap.

I think I'm confussed; didn't we just make it to the super bowl without Revis? Didn't we face every top qb this year? Why on gods green earth would we take on that type of salary?

This would be like trading draft picks plus Alex Smith, Goldson, and every other pending free agent on our team for 1 guy tht we don't need! Not a very good way to do buisness.
LOL at this thread. Rogers not living up to his contract? How do you say that? Is it cuz he doesn't have the interception numbers? How about the fact that he's covering so well that they didn't throw his direction as often this year!!
I doubt Revis would take a pay cut at a chance for a Superbowl.
a. He isnt old enough where players consider taking a pay cut for one last chance at a title.
b. He strikes me as a person who cares more about money than winning.

Speaking of money........Do we have to throw money at Kaep. if we win the superbowl for next season. isnt he only due like 1.2Mil?
Sounds good initially BUT

WAYYY too much $ for our curent situation AND he's coming off an injury.
Originally posted by cgida:
Would trading Alex and his salary for Revis be a balanced trade? If so why not?

Revis makes a few million more a year than Alex. And on top of that he wants top 5 money in the league. Not top 5 corner back money but top 5 players in the league money. Their salaries aren't comparable.
Share 49ersWebzone