Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Where do I begin. As some others have stated Rogers isn't going anywhere and he's played much better then people give him credit for. He covers the slot and except for 1 to 2 games has played very well. Go back and watch him cover Wes Welker and then watch other games of Welker. Byrd from Buffalo is going nowhere as he will be franchised and at the very least Goldson will be franchised. Go and watch other teams safeties and you'll have a new found love for Goldson. Now the draft. Hunt in the first round is a real reach. I watched him workout at the senior bowl yesterday and he is a project and not worthy of a first round selection. 2nd round selection I like him but he's a reach in the second round. Hopkins in the 3rd round comp is a Jacksonville Jaguar move and way too early for a kicker. We have needs at OLB,DE,DT,CB,Safety,WR,possibly OL and there's no way I'm taking a kicker at the end of the 3rd round. I like Sturgis from Florida every bit as good as Hopkins if not better.
Let me reply 1 by 1
1) Byrd being franchised is possible, but also possible that they don't do that. They're in a rebuilding stage with a new coach, and have a ton of money tied to bad contracts (Mario Williams, Fitzpatrick). Good players leave bad teams in such situations often.
2) I'm not disrespecting Rogers. I think he's good, but teams cut older players with high contracts when cheaper, younger players are ready to step up. I think Culliver is ready to step up. We have many young players on deck, waiting for big $$ (Iupati, Davis, Smith, Kaep!, Hunter, Miller)
3) Goldson will not likely be franchised again. That's just too many years in a row. He's good, I agree, just not good enough to justify the money he wants. Between Goldson and Byrd, with the same contract, I take Byrd hands down. That's not disrespecting Goldson, just seeing a better value.
4) I disagree about Hunt. He may be a project, but so was CK. Plenty of teams would be happy to have drafted him and let him sit for a year. Hunt is supremely talented, and with good coaching (we have the top D-Line coach in the league) he can develop into a superstar.
5) It's not a Jags move because we're not the Jags. Meaning we're a very talented team, with few holes and close to 15 picks. We need depth at multiple positions, but only have a glaring hole at 1. That's kicker. Using a 3rd comp (essentially 4th) rd pick on our biggest need isn't a terrible reach. We may miss on him in the end of the 4th.
6) as for your needs. I address them all: OLB (Jenkins), DE (Hunt), DT (Williams), CB (1 in the draft, 2 in FA), S (Byrd), WR (Robinson, Wilson), OL depth in the 7th