There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Pre-SB Mock

Originally posted by valrod33:
Kaepernick cant renegotiate his contract until after his 3rd year.
Goldson is absolutely a top safety in this league and should be paid accordingly, we can basically use Alex Smiths money and give it to Goldson
Didnt Josh Johnson signed with the Cleveland Browns?

Probably signed a deal just for the 2012 season.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Kaepernick cant renegotiate his contract until after his 3rd year.
Goldson is absolutely a top safety in this league and should be paid accordingly, we can basically use Alex Smiths money and give it to Goldson
Didnt Josh Johnson signed with the Cleveland Browns?


Good catch on the new rookie wage rules. I was unaware that rookies cannot hold out or renogiate until after year 3. Looks like the owners got a sweet deal, All drafted players must now sign four-year contracts, eliminating the entire category of the fourth-year restricted free agent. Further, there are no renegotiations of rookie contracts until after a player's third year, removing any holdout possibilities for a high-performing young player before his fourth year.
I cant imagine the Niners getting a 2nd AND a 4th for Alex Smith. I think you are vastly overrating what his market value will be. I think a 4th rd pick is the more likely. As for the picks:

1) Margus Hunt - would like him in 2nd rd but seems to be such a project to take in the first. I dont know if he is a 3-4 or a 4-3 DE now. Wish he weighed 300 pds.
2) If the Niners use a 3rd rd pick to draft Hopkins I will be shocked. He is good but not THAT good. 5th rd pick

Like the Brandon Jenkins, and Fauria picks where you have them slotted.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by A-broken-Mir:
lol at Alex getting a 2nd this year AND 4th next year. Everyone and their mama knows we're gonna cut him. Why give up draft picks for him?

Even if a team wanted to trade for him to lock him up, you'd be looking at a 4th rounder at best.

Not what history says about trading for QBs. Look at what Kolb got. Alex had a 104 passer rating this year, and he has 2 years remaining on a very low contract for his level of performance. If teams wait for him to get cut they'll have to pay him much more.

This. Teams would much rather trade for Alex and his affordable contract than bid for his services in free agency. That said, I don't think we'll get a 2nd from him, at least not in this draft (Kolb was traded in 2011 for a 2012 2nd rounder). Bad teams are willing to take that 2nd round hit, but to lessen the blow, they push it out a year.

In my mock it's a '14 2nd round and this year's 4th round. I think we're mostly in agreement on his value
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Alex Smith trade for a 2nd AND 4th rounder?

Blidi Wreh-Wilson in the 4th?

Dustin Hopkins in the third?

Hopkins is taken with a comp 3rd round pick. It's essentially a 4th. If we wait until our 4th (essentially a 5th) he could be gone, which, given our kicker situation, would be tragic.

As for Blidi Wreh-Wilson, you really have that much of an issue with the 4th round pick? Really?
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by A-broken-Mir:
lol at Alex getting a 2nd this year AND 4th next year. Everyone and their mama knows we're gonna cut him. Why give up draft picks for him?

Even if a team wanted to trade for him to lock him up, you'd be looking at a 4th rounder at best.

Not what history says about trading for QBs. Look at what Kolb got. Alex had a 104 passer rating this year, and he has 2 years remaining on a very low contract for his level of performance. If teams wait for him to get cut they'll have to pay him much more.

This. Teams would much rather trade for Alex and his affordable contract than bid for his services in free agency. That said, I don't think we'll get a 2nd from him, at least not in this draft (Kolb was traded in 2011 for a 2012 2nd rounder). Bad teams are willing to take that 2nd round hit, but to lessen the blow, they push it out a year.

In my mock it's a '14 2nd round and this year's 4th round. I think we're mostly in agreement on his value

didn't see that, my bad. I'm just not sure we could pry 2 picks out of a team for Alex, but I admit anything is possible.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Hopkins is taken with a comp 3rd round pick. It's essentially a 4th. If we wait until our 4th (essentially a 5th) he could be gone, which, given our kicker situation, would be tragic.

As for Blidi Wreh-Wilson, you really have that much of an issue with the 4th round pick? Really?

Hopkins is good but I dont know about being tragic if we didnt get him. Many would say that Caleb Sturgis is just as good or better. I would be shocked if either go before the 5th round. Using a 3rd on him is just too high in my opinion.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Hopkins is taken with a comp 3rd round pick. It's essentially a 4th. If we wait until our 4th (essentially a 5th) he could be gone, which, given our kicker situation, would be tragic.

As for Blidi Wreh-Wilson, you really have that much of an issue with the 4th round pick? Really?

Hopkins has about mid 5th to mid 6th round value, that'd be a HUGE reach for a guy that was sub-80% in FG accuracy. Alex Henery he is not.


Its not exactly a tragedy to miss out on him as Sturgis, Sharp, Maher and Baer are all decent prospects as well. With needs on the DL, at WR, in the secondary, at OLB, I hope they're not looking for a kicker until the 6th Round.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 22, 2013 at 10:24 AM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Kaepernick cant renegotiate his contract until after his 3rd year.
Goldson is absolutely a top safety in this league and should be paid accordingly, we can basically use Alex Smiths money and give it to Goldson
Didnt Josh Johnson signed with the Cleveland Browns?

Bingo, that was always the plan the moment Kaep really started to show he 'belonged'.

Still don't understand the disrespect Goldson gets, you won't find another quality safety like him available at his talent and experience at that position. Safeties are just as worse as QBs, they don't just grow on trees (unless you grab a one of a kind NFL-ready talent from the draft), they take years to develop.

Until we draft a worthy developmental replacement, or hit the jackpot in FA, we need him.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Bingo, that was always the plan the moment Kaep really started to show he 'belonged'.

Still don't understand the disrespect Goldson gets, you won't find another quality safety like him available at his talent and experience at that position. Safeties are just as worse as QBs, they don't just grow on trees (unless you grab a one of a kind NFL-ready talent from the draft), they take years to develop.

Until we draft a worthy developmental replacement, or hit the jackpot in FA, we need him.

It's not the fact that Goldson ISN'T a good safety. It's the fact that giving him 8 mil a year when we have Colin Kaepernick, Mike Iupati, Anthony Davis, Michael Crabtree, Aldon Smith among others to re-sign to HUGE deals all within the next three years.

If we can front load a 40 million dollar contract in those first three years then sure. But as it stands, we need to conserve as much money as possible to keep our young team in-tact.

If this means letting one of the easiest position's to fill walk, then so be it.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Kaepernick cant renegotiate his contract until after his 3rd year.
Goldson is absolutely a top safety in this league and should be paid accordingly, we can basically use Alex Smiths money and give it to Goldson
Didnt Josh Johnson signed with the Cleveland Browns?

Bingo, that was always the plan the moment Kaep really started to show he 'belonged'.

Still don't understand the disrespect Goldson gets, you won't find another quality safety like him available at his talent and experience at that position. Safeties are just as worse as QBs, they don't just grow on trees (unless you grab a one of a kind NFL-ready talent from the draft), they take years to develop.

Until we draft a worthy developmental replacement, or hit the jackpot in FA, we need him.

Byrd is a better player, and will likely get an equivalent contract
Where do I begin. As some others have stated Rogers isn't going anywhere and he's played much better then people give him credit for. He covers the slot and except for 1 to 2 games has played very well. Go back and watch him cover Wes Welker and then watch other games of Welker. Byrd from Buffalo is going nowhere as he will be franchised and at the very least Goldson will be franchised. Go and watch other teams safeties and you'll have a new found love for Goldson. Now the draft. Hunt in the first round is a real reach. I watched him workout at the senior bowl yesterday and he is a project and not worthy of a first round selection. 2nd round selection I like him but he's a reach in the second round. Hopkins in the 3rd round comp is a Jacksonville Jaguar move and way too early for a kicker. We have needs at OLB,DE,DT,CB,Safety,WR,possibly OL and there's no way I'm taking a kicker at the end of the 3rd round. I like Sturgis from Florida every bit as good as Hopkins if not better.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Where do I begin. As some others have stated Rogers isn't going anywhere and he's played much better then people give him credit for. He covers the slot and except for 1 to 2 games has played very well. Go back and watch him cover Wes Welker and then watch other games of Welker. Byrd from Buffalo is going nowhere as he will be franchised and at the very least Goldson will be franchised. Go and watch other teams safeties and you'll have a new found love for Goldson. Now the draft. Hunt in the first round is a real reach. I watched him workout at the senior bowl yesterday and he is a project and not worthy of a first round selection. 2nd round selection I like him but he's a reach in the second round. Hopkins in the 3rd round comp is a Jacksonville Jaguar move and way too early for a kicker. We have needs at OLB,DE,DT,CB,Safety,WR,possibly OL and there's no way I'm taking a kicker at the end of the 3rd round. I like Sturgis from Florida every bit as good as Hopkins if not better.


The Jaguars passed up Russell Wilson to draft a punter, I don't know that anyone can get that bad.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Where do I begin. As some others have stated Rogers isn't going anywhere and he's played much better then people give him credit for. He covers the slot and except for 1 to 2 games has played very well. Go back and watch him cover Wes Welker and then watch other games of Welker. Byrd from Buffalo is going nowhere as he will be franchised and at the very least Goldson will be franchised. Go and watch other teams safeties and you'll have a new found love for Goldson. Now the draft. Hunt in the first round is a real reach. I watched him workout at the senior bowl yesterday and he is a project and not worthy of a first round selection. 2nd round selection I like him but he's a reach in the second round. Hopkins in the 3rd round comp is a Jacksonville Jaguar move and way too early for a kicker. We have needs at OLB,DE,DT,CB,Safety,WR,possibly OL and there's no way I'm taking a kicker at the end of the 3rd round. I like Sturgis from Florida every bit as good as Hopkins if not better.
Let me reply 1 by 1

1) Byrd being franchised is possible, but also possible that they don't do that. They're in a rebuilding stage with a new coach, and have a ton of money tied to bad contracts (Mario Williams, Fitzpatrick). Good players leave bad teams in such situations often.

2) I'm not disrespecting Rogers. I think he's good, but teams cut older players with high contracts when cheaper, younger players are ready to step up. I think Culliver is ready to step up. We have many young players on deck, waiting for big $$ (Iupati, Davis, Smith, Kaep!, Hunter, Miller)

3) Goldson will not likely be franchised again. That's just too many years in a row. He's good, I agree, just not good enough to justify the money he wants. Between Goldson and Byrd, with the same contract, I take Byrd hands down. That's not disrespecting Goldson, just seeing a better value.

4) I disagree about Hunt. He may be a project, but so was CK. Plenty of teams would be happy to have drafted him and let him sit for a year. Hunt is supremely talented, and with good coaching (we have the top D-Line coach in the league) he can develop into a superstar.

5) It's not a Jags move because we're not the Jags. Meaning we're a very talented team, with few holes and close to 15 picks. We need depth at multiple positions, but only have a glaring hole at 1. That's kicker. Using a 3rd comp (essentially 4th) rd pick on our biggest need isn't a terrible reach. We may miss on him in the end of the 4th.

6) as for your needs. I address them all: OLB (Jenkins), DE (Hunt), DT (Williams), CB (1 in the draft, 2 in FA), S (Byrd), WR (Robinson, Wilson), OL depth in the 7th
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 23,090
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Robinson + Kaepernick + Greg Roman = completely off-balance defense.

IMO, we need another WR that can outmatch CBs. Robinson is a great athlete, but a project at WR. Later in the draft for a guy like that.


I'd love Robinson as our returner.