There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should we make a trade to pick up an extra first round pick?

Should we make a trade to pick up an extra first round pick?

Originally posted by English:
I would trade a pick or two back to the 2014 draft, securing a strong bunch of picks then when we are likely to start needing them.


I would agree. We have more than enough ammo for this draft to take care of DL, WR and maybe a safety. I bet they find a way to keep Goldson. I don't think he will want to leave with the magic going on and they can easily franchise him. The Pats have traded back draft years many times. Turn a second this year into a first next year. Whoever we trade with will almost certainly have a higher pick in 2014. We will need more help after next season with more potential losses and our cap position will be a whole lot friendlier. I bet Baalke does this on one or two picks.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Ginn? Gone.
Brock? Gone
Akers? Gone
Alex? Gone
Soap? Possibly Gone
RJF? PossibleyGone
Delanie Possibly Gone
Larry Grant Possibly Gone
Goldson? Who Knows
Leonard Davis? Possibly Gone


49ers could be replacing 7 or 8 guys, who do you replace them with, free agents? Hell no. Even if they bring up a guy or two from the practice squad, they'll still need more players. Additionally they need better depth at safety, OLB and DE as well.



They could easily add 9 or 10 rookies to the roster next season, especially considering that the DL is the oldest in football right now.

I agree that most of those guys could be/will be gone. I'd be shocked if Dashon Goldson is gone. If/when we trade/cut Alex Smith, that pretty much frees up the money needed to sign Goldson longterm. Looking at the team right now, these are positions I see that are needs:

Looking at it that way, we probably could add 8-12 rookies to the roster if our draft picks can at least be equal to the current guys on the roster.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I get your point, I was just thinking about an absolute minimum of picks that the Niners would need out of their 13 possible picks. The Niners front office will definitely do something in free agency, but who knows how much. It is an ideal situation no matter how you look at it.

History seems to indicate they will shore up the starting positions through FAcy and then go for depth through the draft. Goodwin, Rogers, Whitner and Brooks versus Boone, Hunter, James, Culliver, etc. I can't think of a rookie who started the past two years. Aldon came closest by subbing in on passing plays.

But many will start soon, if not already--2011 draftees Kaepernick, Culliver, Miller, Aldon are already starters or important; Kilgore and Hunter may be starters in the near future. That's a great class, especially considering how strong the team is. Last years class will likely be less strong and they will have a harder time making it onto the field. James is making his mark and Looney may be heir apparent to Goodwin...but the rest are very far down the depth chart. Jenkins is listed as backup to Crabtree but...really? He seems to need more time to develop than thought. Perhaps another training camp.

So I don't see the niners being able to to keep more than five or six rookies next year unless many FAs leave or they change their MO...keep rookies over FAs for key positions. Not likely.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
History seems to indicate they will shore up the starting positions through FAcy and then go for depth through the draft. Goodwin, Rogers, Whitner and Brooks versus Boone, Hunter, James, Culliver, etc. I can't think of a rookie who started the past two years. Aldon came closest by subbing in on passing plays.

But many will start soon, if not already--2011 draftees Kaepernick, Culliver, Miller, Aldon are already starters or important; Kilgore and Hunter may be starters in the near future. That's a great class, especially considering how strong the team is. Last years class will likely be less strong and they will have a harder time making it onto the field. James is making his mark and Looney may be heir apparent to Goodwin...but the rest are very far down the depth chart. Jenkins is listed as backup to Crabtree but...really? He seems to need more time to develop than thought. Perhaps another training camp.

So I don't see the niners being able to to keep more than five or six rookies next year unless many FAs leave or they change their MO...keep rookies over FAs for key positions. Not likely.

I don't think you'll see much if any free activity, if so, it'll be short term deals for inexpensive players that add depth, primarily you'll see them build through the draft, in the next few years they're going to have to expend a great deal of dough to resign Kaepernick, Aldon, Iupati, Davis, Crabtree...etc...etc. The cheapest way to build effectively is through the draft.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I don't think you'll see much if any free activity, if so, it'll be short term deals for inexpensive players that add depth, primarily you'll see them build through the draft, in the next few years they're going to have to expend a great deal of dough to resign Kaepernick, Aldon, Iupati, Davis, Crabtree...etc...etc. The cheapest way to build effectively is through the draft.

True, but if they lose a Goldson or Sopoaga I can see them finding a fill in FA rather than relying on a rookie. If there is someone who can come in and play right away it would likely be in the first round and #32 is pretty late to find a starting FS or NT...at least a sure thing.
Our mock draft just traded up with the Vikes to get Jesse Williams.
We can trade up all day in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rd. It costs too much to trade up in the 1st round IMO.

I'd be in favor of trading out of the 1st rd to pickup an additional 1st or 2nd next year.
Ex. Trade #32 for early/mid 2nd rd pick + 2014 2nd rd pick
Ex. Trade #32 for early/mid 3rd rd pick+ 2014 1st rd pick
Originally posted by azninersfan:
We can trade up all day in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th rd. It costs too much to trade up in the 1st round IMO.

I'd be in favor of trading out of the 1st rd to pickup an additional 1st or 2nd next year.
Ex. Trade #32 for early/mid 2nd rd pick + 2014 2nd rd pick
Ex. Trade #32 for early/mid 3rd rd pick+ 2014 1st rd pick

great idea. We could really put ourselves in a strong position next year.
That pick, at 32, could be of great value, because I am not sure anyone with a top 10 selection is going to want to pick a QB. However, teams may elect to beat each other to their second pick by trading up a few slots.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Ginn? Gone.
Brock? Gone
Akers? Gone
Alex? Gone
Soap? Possibly Gone
RJF? PossibleyGone
Delanie Possibly Gone
Larry Grant Possibly Gone
Goldson? Who Knows
Leonard Davis? Possibly Gone


49ers could be replacing 7 or 8 guys, who do you replace them with, free agents? Hell no. Even if they bring up a guy or two from the practice squad, they'll still need more players. Additionally they need better depth at safety, OLB and DE as well.



They could easily add 9 or 10 rookies to the roster next season, especially considering that the DL is the oldest in football right now.
This. Thx to our cap situation, we don't have many choices through FA.

Additionally, I do not want to see us trading away the whole farm for a position like WR. I don't care how good Julio is playing now, this was almost stupid imo. Certain positions are way too dependent on performances of other teammates...only positions I would give away my farm (and even more) are the trenches, especially Center and a true NT.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
That pick, at 32, could be of great value, because I am not sure anyone with a top 10 selection is going to want to pick a QB. However, teams may elect to beat each other to their second pick by trading up a few slots.
So, you're saying trade down? The only starter the Niners need might be a #2 receiver (certainly at the beginning of the year). But they do have probable and significant needs for backups at CB, NT, TE, S, and to a lesser extent C, OLB, WR. Trading down from the first round while trading up with combinations of lower picks might help secure these positions.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
That pick, at 32, could be of great value, because I am not sure anyone with a top 10 selection is going to want to pick a QB. However, teams may elect to beat each other to their second pick by trading up a few slots.

Yep, every year there's somebody trying to trade into the very back end of the 1st round to snatch up a player they may otherwise have thought might not be available or prevent a team with one of the top 2 or 3 picks in the 2nd round to get that player.
we need keenan allen
Didn't want to start a whole new thread about this and thought it might fit here.

Similar to what the Eagles did in 2011 when they traded Kevin Kolb to the Cardinals for a (at the time) quality young player in Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a future 2nd rounder (2012), what are the thoughts on trading Alex to the Jets for a 2014 2nd round pick and their 6'4", 345lb backup NT Kenrick Ellis? They get a veteran QB who can run their new WCO under Marty Mornhinweg without giving up any 2013 picks, and we get a future high pick as well as a developing NT who's had some troubles off the field in the past, but has a ton of potential as a 3-4 nose.

Crazy idea, stupid idea, realistic or otherwise?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
That pick, at 32, could be of great value, because I am not sure anyone with a top 10 selection is going to want to pick a QB. However, teams may elect to beat each other to their second pick by trading up a few slots.

This is a great point. If there is a run at defensive line and linebackers I could see some excellent offensive players slide. Niners had to trade up for Kaepernick and I can see the same thing happening this year.