There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should we make a trade to pick up an extra first round pick?

Should we make a trade to pick up an extra first round pick?

I just want to see the best use of picks, whether it be packaging picks to move up, or using picks to pick up some papers that are hurt or players expected to fall because of red flags (Tyrann Mathieu for example). We have seen 6th and 7th round picks come in and make contributions, but I'd rather see them used on players that fall in the draft who have 1st-3rd round value.

I stated to move up, we'd probably target 15-25, which wouldn't take much. I'm trying to recall, what did we trade in order to get that extra 1st in 2006 to pick up Manny Lawson? Moving up high would really only be for a player like Star Lotulelei if he somehow fell out of the top 5. Moving up to spots 15-25 wouldn't cost much. Perhaps one or two mid round picks + a first next year, all depending on what spot we are trading into and the player that is available. There really are only 2 that are worth the trade.

We could also package picks to move up in the second and third rounds, picking up a lot of quality players for depth and that could be groomed into future starters. I'm expecting to see a lot of wheeling and dealing by the front office this year.

Originally posted by Gore_21:
Sure it might be nice to have a potential super star but right now we don't really have any open starter spots anyways. I'd rather have good depth and potential future starters with the 1, 2, 3, 3 picks than trade that all away for a guy who wouldn't start now anyways. Options would be NT and that's way too high unless Lotulelei fell. Maybe WR but not sure anyone is worth all those picks... guys will be around towards the end of the 1st. Other than that maybe DE but he would probably just give Smith breathers and wouldn't start for 2-3 more years. Give me 4 potential future starters and good backups now over 1 potential super star down the road.
We might have a spot open for a #2 starting receiver. Manningham is coming off injury and may not be ready for start of the regular season. And as much as Delainie Walker plays and may not be back, we may need a TE with starter skills.
Originally posted by English:
I would trade a pick or two back to the 2014 draft, securing a strong bunch of picks then when we are likely to start needing them.

With 13 potential picks this year, it is pretty clear that the Niners will not need all of the picks as the Super Bowl champs or runners up. I would say that the Niners could use half of those picks to address depth or any free agent losses (WR, DL, OLB, FS, CB, Swing OT). What Baalke did last year has setup this team for years to come.
Originally posted by 9erred:
So you want to trade away picks to pick higher in a draft that is flat with talent. AND give up potentially a first rounder in next years draft where the talent could be better??

Thank god you are not the GM.

The strategy is sound, but it should be implemented to get the most picks in the top 100 picks of the draft.

Pick 32, stay pat
Pick 64- maybe trade up a few spots or stay pat.
Pick 3a- Carolina- stay pat
Pick 96- use multiple low picks to trade up.
then the niners have 2 compensatory selections they cannot trade.
No way in heck should they mortgage their future for ONE player in such a flat draft.

It depends. If Star Lotulelei fell far enough, (out of the top 5, which would still cost a bit to move up) or if we just traded back into the first round somewhere around 15-25, we could have our NT and DE of the future. The price to move there would be a 1st next year and a third or fourth. Not exactly mortgaging the future. All trades into the first aren't that big of a gamble. it all depends on where you are trying to position yourself.

The biggest question is what is the difference between the nose tackles and defensive ends available at the bottom of the first verses the second, third, and fourth rounds?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
With 13 potential picks this year, it is pretty clear that the Niners will not need all of the picks as the Super Bowl champs or runners up. I would say that the Niners could use half of those picks to address depth or any free agent losses (WR, DL, OLB, FS, CB, Swing OT). What Baalke did last year has setup this team for years to come.

Ginn? Gone.
Brock? Gone
Akers? Gone
Alex? Gone
Soap? Possibly Gone
RJF? PossibleyGone
Delanie Possibly Gone
Larry Grant Possibly Gone
Goldson? Who Knows
Leonard Davis? Possibly Gone

49ers could be replacing 7 or 8 guys, who do you replace them with, free agents? Hell no. Even if they bring up a guy or two from the practice squad, they'll still need more players. Additionally they need better depth at safety, OLB and DE as well.

They could easily add 9 or 10 rookies to the roster next season, especially considering that the DL is the oldest in football right now.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 21, 2013 at 1:51 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Baalke seems willing to do what is available with a long range view. If he spots a guy in the first round and has the opportunity to trade up fine, but he is also willing to not over pay and trade down, or stay put and find BPA. I really like this approach...very pragmatic.

I also like the idea, mentioned by Ghost, of taking guys who need to rehab. Use to worry about these guys but Gore and others have taught me to be more open minded.

Agree. Sounds like some really solid and long term thinking for the team.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Ginn? Gone.
Brock? Gone
Akers? Gone
Alex? Gone
Soap? Possibly Gone
RJF? PossibleyGone
Delanie Possibly Gone
Larry Grant Possibly Gone
Goldson? Who Knows
Leonard Davis? Possibly Gone

49ers could be replacing 7 or 8 guys, who do you replace them with, free agents? Hell no. Even if they bring up a guy or two from the practice squad, they'll still need more players. Additionally they need better depth at safety, OLB and DE as well.

They could easily add 9 or 10 rookies to the roster next season, especially considering that the DL is the oldest in football right now.

I get your point, I was just thinking about an absolute minimum of picks that the Niners would need out of their 13 possible picks. The Niners front office will definitely do something in free agency, but who knows how much. It is an ideal situation no matter how you look at it.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
We might have a spot open for a #2 starting receiver. Manningham is coming off injury and may not be ready for start of the regular season. And as much as Delainie Walker plays and may not be back, we may need a TE with starter skills.

Yeah, if you see later on I said WR might be a possibility but not sure anyone is worth all those picks. There might be 4-5 guys that could go in the 1st but not sure anyone stands out above the rest and is worth a 1, 2, 3 and 3.

And as for #2 TE we use them a lot and it will be important to get someone high if Walker is gone but I doubt we will use all those picks to trade up into the high to mid 1st round when we have Vernon Davis. You could probably get a TE at the end of round 1 or trade up in round 2 and get much better value.
Will probably trade our 3rd to move up in the second.
I wouldn't trade the farm to move up for Star. Nobody is guarenteed to be a success.

EVERYONE raved about Glenn Dorsey, and quite a few others over the year,and he hasn't proved to be a diufference maker for the price. Allan Branch is another that comes to mind.

In Baalke/JH I trust. I think we'll move up to a point.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Will probably trade our 3rd to move up in the second.

This is my wishful thinking, but i still think it makes sense if the Niners can pay Alex the 1 million dollars, and if the Eagles, Browns, Cardinalos or KC want him we do the following.

Trade Alex and we do not gain draft picks but swap draft picks in rounds 2,3,4, . Maybe even throw in a few of our 6th round picks.

This would give the middle of the pack team a servicable qb, and the niners higher draft picks in rounds 2, 3 and 4 (but not gaining picks). Again this is my dream world.
Not only yes, but hell yes. Were talking about what is essentially a 2nd round pick anyway so why not move back a little and gain a pick for next year and just add quality depth with late 2's, 3's, etc? That is what has helped New England stay sickly competitive.
The Niners system requires a different set of criteria than the rest of the league. They want quality character, love of football, love of contact, skill, perseverance and players suitable for the pistol system and for a 3-4 defense. When you sort by those standards you come up with a set of players that others may not see or want. So if you could use another pick or two and get 2-3 extra players in the high end of our list I would spend those picks. None the less the Niners need a lot of quality depth as well as immediate support at WR and Dline and CB, Punt Return, and Kicker. So that is 5-8 picks all by themselves. So we will see a lot of movement this year after the super bowl, and we will see a lot of new players that will have to win their spots on the team.
Lets remember only 1 player from this years draft is playin for us now maybe those guys will have an impact next year.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I wouldn't trade the farm to move up for Star. Nobody is guarenteed to be a success.

EVERYONE raved about Glenn Dorsey, and quite a few others over the year,and he hasn't proved to be a diufference maker for the price. Allan Branch is another that comes to mind.

In Baalke/JH I trust. I think we'll move up to a point.

Good point. Of all the DTs coming out in the last 10 years that received a lot of hype, there were only 3 I liked. Vince Wilfork, Haloti Ngata, and Glenn Dorsey. Now that you point it out, NT may be one of the bigger crap shoots in the draft.