LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Should we make a trade to pick up an extra first round pick?

Should we make a trade to pick up an extra first round pick?

This is something I've wondered about for awhile. It's clear the positions we need to shore up in order to ensure we stay ahead of the rest of the NFC West and continue to dominate. The Falcons traded 5 picks to move up to the 6th spot to take Julio Jones. They traded a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in 2011, as well as a 1st and a 4th in 2012. Now I don't think we need to make a trade like that to get into the top 10, but perhaps a move to pick up an extra first round pick (picks 15-25) which wouldn't cost us much or second round pick to get some of the better talent available at NT and DE. It's highly unlikely we use all 10 picks we have, and there's a strong possibility we have more coming with comp picks and the potential trade of Alex Smith. Thoughts?
That's definitely one way to do it.

Another way is to use a few of our extra picks (2 at the most) on talented guys that were injured, put them on the PuP list for 2013 and get them ready for 2014. Guys like RB Marcus Lattimore, DE/OLBs Brandon Jenkins/Quanterus Smith or a 3-4 DE developmental prospect like Kapron Lewis-Moore. Not only does it help build a pipeline of quality talent for the future (while not losing them because of being cut or getting signed off our practice squad), it gives the players the time to properly rehab and get in NFL caliber shape while studying the playbook/system/schemes for a full season before ever hitting the field.

It's definitely risky using picks on guys that today, can't help you much. But if you look at it as more of a long-term investment, it could be the smarter way of using those extra picks.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM ]
It would take SO much to move up to get a 2nd 1st round pick. It would probably take giving up our 2nd rd pick and both 3rd rounders to get into the late first round and that would be too much in my opinion.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is something I've wondered about for awhile. It's clear the positions we need to shore up in order to ensure we stay ahead of the rest of the NFC West and continue to dominate. The Falcons traded 5 picks to move up to the 6th spot to take Julio Jones. They traded a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in 2011, as well as a 1st and a 4th in 2012. Now I don't think we need to make a trade like that to get into the top 10, but perhaps a move to pick up an extra first round pick (picks 15-25) which wouldn't cost us much or second round pick to get some of the better talent available at NT and DE. It's highly unlikely we use all 10 picks we have, and there's a strong possibility we have more coming with comp picks and the potential trade of Alex Smith. Thoughts?

You're looking at replacing 6 or 7 players alone, PLUS adding depth. For what it would cost to trade up into the 1st, I don't agree with trading a bunch of picks to move up. There's never any guarantee that you get a better player in the 1st round than anywhere. How many 1st and 2nd round safeties have become busts while Goldson is a Pro-Bowl caliber player. How many cornerbacks picked early have been utterly underwhelming while guys like Sherman have been shut-down cornerbacks. How many first round WR's have floundered while undrafted guys like Welker and Cruz have done well.

I'd rather trust their scouting department and add as many quality players to this team as possible, not just to replace the guys that will be leaving, but guys that potentially could be leaving in the next 2 years.
Depends on who we could get.

That said, Ghost's idea is VERY solid. However, we need immediate help on the DLine - NT, DE. A BIG, fast WR would really help.

Still too early since we don't know who we'll be able to retain like Goldson.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Depends on who we could get.

That said, Ghost's idea is VERY solid. However, we need immediate help on the DLine - NT, DE. A BIG, fast WR would really help.

Still too early since we don't know who we'll be able to retain like Goldson.

As i recall we got a hell of a deal on some kid named Frank Gore in the 3rd because he had busted knees.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
As i recall we got a hell of a deal on some kid named Frank Gore in the 3rd because he had busted knees.

Lattimore is someone I'd be very interested in with a later pick, he's got Top 10 talent if a team is willing to wait a year.

To tell the truth, I might rather trade down out of the 1st altogether, pick up extra picks in 2014 or gain the ability to move up into the 2nd round, potentially wind up with 3 picks in that round, snag up guys like Rambo, Datone Jones and Corey Lemonier.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM ]
Sure it might be nice to have a potential super star but right now we don't really have any open starter spots anyways. I'd rather have good depth and potential future starters with the 1, 2, 3, 3 picks than trade that all away for a guy who wouldn't start now anyways. Options would be NT and that's way too high unless Lotulelei fell. Maybe WR but not sure anyone is worth all those picks... guys will be around towards the end of the 1st. Other than that maybe DE but he would probably just give Smith breathers and wouldn't start for 2-3 more years. Give me 4 potential future starters and good backups now over 1 potential super star down the road.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 21, 2013 at 11:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Lattimore is someone I'd be very interested in with a later pick, he's got Top 10 talent if a team is willing to wait a year.

To tell the truth, I might rather trade down out of the 1st altogether, pick up extra picks in 2014 or gain the ability to move up into the 2nd round, potentially wind up with 3 picks in that round, snag up guys like Rambo, Datone Jones and Corey Lemonier.

This
I'd rather use some of the plethora of lower picks (comp picks excluded obviously) to move up on multiple mid round picks. I.E. use a Niners 4th and 6th to move up a few spots in the 4th. Use a 5th and 7th to move up a few spots in the 5th..

Even with all of the spots I think the Niners are going to need to fill, I still don't see anyway someone drafted in the 7th will make this team. Might as well use those extra picks to consistently move up.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

You're looking at replacing 6 or 7 players alone, PLUS adding depth. For what it would cost to trade up into the 1st, I don't agree with trading a bunch of picks to move up. There's never any guarantee that you get a better player in the 1st round than anywhere. How many 1st and 2nd round safeties have become busts while Goldson is a Pro-Bowl caliber player. How many cornerbacks picked early have been utterly underwhelming while guys like Sherman have been shut-down cornerbacks. How many first round WR's have floundered while undrafted guys like Welker and Cruz have done well.

I'd rather trust their scouting department and add as many quality players to this team as possible, not just to replace the guys that will be leaving, but guys that potentially could be leaving in the next 2 years.

this, no need to move up. Its been said that teams are built in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Rd. Though, there is still free agency so not all the picks are needed depending on who we could land from there. I wouldnt go draft a ton of injured guys though. Ideally, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd guys should be ready to not only play, but make an impact on the team by year 2.
I'd be all for getting an extra first round pick. I'd also be all for trading down from 32 to get a couple more second round picks and/or maybe a first round pick in 2014. We could use late picks to move up. There's a lot of good value in the second and third rounds this year. If we could come out of the first four rounds with 2 DL, OLB, a DB, and a WR that would be great.
Baalke seems willing to do what is available with a long range view. If he spots a guy in the first round and has the opportunity to trade up fine, but he is also willing to not over pay and trade down, or stay put and find BPA. I really like this approach...very pragmatic.

I also like the idea, mentioned by Ghost, of taking guys who need to rehab. Use to worry about these guys but Gore and others have taught me to be more open minded.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 21, 2013 at 12:27 PM ]
I would trade a pick or two back to the 2014 draft, securing a strong bunch of picks then when we are likely to start needing them.
So you want to trade away picks to pick higher in a draft that is flat with talent. AND give up potentially a first rounder in next years draft where the talent could be better??

Thank god you are not the GM.

The strategy is sound, but it should be implemented to get the most picks in the top 100 picks of the draft.

Pick 32, stay pat
Pick 64- maybe trade up a few spots or stay pat.
Pick 3a- Carolina- stay pat
Pick 96- use multiple low picks to trade up.
then the niners have 2 compensatory selections they cannot trade.
No way in heck should they mortgage their future for ONE player in such a flat draft.
Share 49ersWebzone