There are 256 users in the forums

New 7-round mock (4th and 5th round comp picks)

This should make people fairly happy. I see the defensive line as the strategic focus of this draft, and I see Baalke taking one guy to play the end position and two developmental prospects to sit behind Ice or RJF (whichever one we re-sign). I think we take an athletic QB later in the draft (after Smith is trade/released) - I chose Robinson, almost put Klien in there.

1-32 - Sharrif Floyd, DL, Florida, 6-3 300 - Nice fit as a 3-4 DE to develop for a couple years. His biggest knock is his lack of technique, which he makes up for in try-hard. Coach 'em up for a year.

2-32 - Bacarri Rambo, FS/SS, Georgia 6-0 218 - Big safety that can take over for Goldson if he leaves or Whitner in 1 - 2 years

3-12 (from CAR) - Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford 5-11 210 - Another RB? Yes. We've got an open RB/WR spot, and he can contribute on ST. Also, Hunter may open the season on IR/PUP

3-32 - Quinton Patton, WR, LA Tech 6-2 200 - I like this kid - big, explosive, fast

4-32 - Brandon Williams, NT, Missouri Southern 6-2 325 - Big NT prospect to develop for 1 - 2 years

4-comp - Jordan Reed, TE, Florida6-3 240 - If Walker goes, Reed is a good replacement

5-24 (from IND) - Brian Winters, OT, Kent State, 6-5 310 - Swing OT

5-32 - Denard Robinson, QB/ATH, Michigan 6-1 200 - Explosive player that can play multiple positions

5-comp - D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina 6-0 215 - Good safety prospect

6-12 (from MIA) - Marc Anthony, CB, Cal, 6-0 200 - Nice local prospect

6-32 - Montorri Hughes, NT, Ten-Martin 6-4 330 - Another NT to develop

7-21 (from CIN) - Sam Schwartzstein, C, Stanford 6-3 295 - Stanford kid who may or may not make the roster; PS as a rookie otherwise

7-32 - Brett Maher, K, Nebraska 6-0 190 - Kicker! Hopkins and Sturgis are gone by this point
[ Edited by nickbradley on Jan 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM ]
for the record, I think that Rambo is the most 'niner-like' player on this list as far as physicality and mentality goes.
probably my favorite mock so far. I might flip that WR/RB picks depending on who's there at WR. If a good reciever falls, then Id pull the trigger but I understand why we'd draft one early.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
for the record, I think that Rambo is the most 'niner-like' player on this list as far as physicality and mentality goes.

he's been my favorite safety in this draft. plus having a niner jersey that says Rambo on the back would be sick
what do people think of Dennard Robinson?

I think he can be our emergency/third-string QB as a developmental prospect while contributing elsewhere.
what do people think of Dennard Robinson?

I think he can be our emergency/third-string QB as a developmental prospect while contributing elsewhere.

He is not a QB at the next level. He wasn't even playing QB at Michigan at the end of the season. He can run the ball without question and probably return kicks, too. Nice thought based on his athletic ability, but not someone who will help this team behind center.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
He is not a QB at the next level. He wasn't even playing QB at Michigan at the end of the season. He can run the ball without question and probably return kicks, too. Nice thought based on his athletic ability, but not someone who will help this team behind center.

I'm just saying he can be an emergency QB while carrying two 'real QBs'

This. He reminds me a lot of Goldson, just a very aggressive guy that flies around and loves to hit anything that moves, quite a ballhawk as well.

I wouldn't be upset with any of these picks, I think all these guys would fulfill vital roles. Especially love the Patton pick, I'm just convinced this guy will turn out to be a big-time player in the NFL, would love for it to be in a 49ers uniform.

I like Taylor, I think the 49ers need a feature back to take over for Gore, that isn't James and its unknown how Hunter will look when he recovers from injury. Gore has been amazing but he's going to 30 at the start of next season, there's only so much more mileage the team can expect to get out of him.

I don't think Reed falls that far, but the TE from Tennessee, Mychal Rivera, will be available in that range and he brings a lot of the same things to the table as Reed does.
I'm just saying he can be an emergency QB while carrying two 'real QBs'

In the same way that Joe Webb is an emergency QB. He'd play the Tebow QB role.

But I do like him a lot as a slot receiver, if the 49ers can't get Swope, then he's not a bad option at all.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
he's been my favorite safety in this draft. plus having a niner jersey that says Rambo on the back would be sick

Wouldbuyjersey/10.

The trick play potential of dennard Robinson is high.

imagine what we could do with Robinson in the buyeye (3-back) formation: LMJ split put wide, Gore remains single back...or, Robinson takes handoff then passes.

its an additional read.

Harbaugh wanted to have a 2-QB formation at Stanford
The trick play potential of dennard Robinson is high.

imagine what we could do with Robinson in the buyeye (3-back) formation: LMJ split put wide, Gore remains single back...or, Robinson takes handoff then passes.

its an additional read.

Harbaugh wanted to have a 2-QB formation at Stanford

Its Baalke, you know its gonna happen because nobody expects it to happen.

Interesting, very interesting. The Denard Robinson pick is intriguing. Like Kaep without the throwing ability but he could run this option stuff.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Its Baalke, you know its gonna happen because nobody expects it to happen.

The better Kaepernick does, the higher Manuel gets drafted.

personally, I think he ends up in the first round anyways after shredding the combine
i like this mock, too. not really a fan of robinson though.
Share 49ersWebzone