LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Is anyone else skeptical of drafting an NT high?

Originally posted by MarkD:
If its a Bryant Young (YES) then draft high. If its a Suh then (HELL NO)

If a Suh like talent made it to our pick I would jizz continuously for hours.
Harbaalke should not draft a NT high or any position for that matter. Wait til the last pick, then light up a fatty.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Yeup and imagine if we had a good NT next to Justin. Power RBs are running inside on us pretty effectively - and we don't want a NT? To me, it makes no sense at all. The way we have really dominated pass first team is by making them pass-only teams. If we stop the run against Seattle and Rams - they have no chance.

This.

It's disheartening to watch this team so easily shut down other teams run games, but then when the Marshawn Lynches come to town, they are getting upfield, running over guys, etc. The good news is that we have a good talent evaluator in Trent Baalke and a quality defensive line coach in Tomsula. We could go NT in round 1 and get a guy to develop to be Smith's replacement at DE. At the end of the day however, I hope they go BPA or do some draft day maneuvering to get the guys they want.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not necessarily skeptical about if, but I would rather re-sign one of our vets (Ice or RJF) to a 3 or 4 year deal. Then behind the veteran, develop Ian Williams, Tony Jerrod-Eddie (possibly) and/or a rookie prospect like Larry Black Jr. that we could get in the later rounds. Just not convinced you can throw in a rookie NT (no matter how big, strong and talented) on this team and in this scheme and have them be successful.

Whoever got thrown in he would be to the same effect as Sopo with youth and upside.

Originally posted by eonblue:
Not necessarily skeptical about if, but I would rather re-sign one of our vets (Ice or RJF) to a 3 or 4 year deal. Then behind the veteran, develop Ian Williams, Tony Jerrod-Eddie (possibly) and/or a rookie prospect like Larry Black Jr. that we could get in the later rounds. Just not convinced you can throw in a rookie NT (no matter how big, strong and talented) on this team and in this scheme and have them be successful.

Whoever got thrown in he would be to the same effect as Sopo with youth and upside.

you're greatly underestimating how long it takes most NTs to REALLY learn how to play the position. Soap didn't become effective until about year 4 or 5 and even RJF is relatively unproven, and he's a 4 year vet. But hey, you could be right...we'll see if they go with a rookie or bring back Soap, RJF or both.
you're greatly underestimating how long it takes most NTs to REALLY learn how to play the position. Soap didn't become effective until about year 4 or 5 and even RJF is relatively unproven, and he's a 4 year vet. But hey, you could be right...we'll see if they go with a rookie or bring back Soap, RJF or both.

Ultimately I'd like to see Soap brought back, but I don't know if this year was an anomaly or if he's regressing overall. I feel that too many way overlook the NT position and underrate its importance in a 3-4 scheme.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Ultimately I'd like to see Soap brought back, but I don't know if this year was an anomaly or if he's regressing overall. I feel that too many way overlook the NT position and underrate its importance in a 3-4 scheme.

I dont. I think he gets paid to much relative to his contribution. HE CANT BEAT A BLOCK! Without the NT pressure in a 3-4 you might as well play 4-3 which we are playing at times. I looked at his stats and this is his lowest year tackles wise. Hes producing half what he did a couple of years ago. I also just re-watched the Saints game. One play in particular the Saints ran it and the Center blocked Sopo and he still couldn't control his gaps. Harbaugh took him out for the rest of the half.

I think Sopo makes to much and RJF is relatively unproven at this point. I know it takes time. I thinks it worth it tho. If we could pick up Jenkins and he can translate that power into the NFL we would have a strong foundation for the future.
wont happen

This is one of the reasons why a NT can stay around forever, similar to Ted Washington a decade ago. Doesn't change the fact that we still need to get a guy for the future.
If after watching that game and seeing Soap getting rocked, people still deny that this team don't need an upgrade at NT for the future, I don't know what else to say.
Agree Phoenix.

We DEFINITELY need a NT. Do we trade up to get the best one we can and if "Yes" how far up?

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree Phoenix.

We DEFINITELY need a NT. Do we trade up to get the best one we can and if "Yes" how far up?

I wouldn't trade up, they could take a guy like Brandon Williams in Round 3 and develop him, but as far as the future goes, that is the single biggest upgrade they can make. Soap was getting blocked 1 on 1 basically all game, in a 3-4 defense, you can't afford for that to happen. Its one of the reasons Ryan had so much free time and a clean pocket to throw from.
  • Elric
  • Veteran
well before we get all fired up to draft someone maybe we should look at what we have first!

Tukuafu, WillDTACT 6'4"2931/3/19842Oregon
Dobbs, DemarcusTERES 6'2"28211/30/19872Georgia
Jerod-Eddie, TonyDEACT 6'5"3013/29/19900Texas A&M

I'd say outstanding!
Originally posted by Elric:
well before we get all fired up to draft someone maybe we should look at what we have first!

Tukuafu, WillDTACT 6'4"2931/3/19842Oregon
Dobbs, DemarcusTERES 6'2"28211/30/19872Georgia
Jerod-Eddie, TonyDEACT 6'5"3013/29/19900Texas A&M

I'd say outstanding!

None a single one of those guys is an NT, are you serious with this? Also what have you seen that leads you to believe that any one of those guys is "outstanding" or anything more than a marginal backup in the NFL?
I don't dislike Soap, but watching him get handled basically makes me wonder is he better off as a rotational DE on this team or a start at 3-4 DE/4-3 DT on another team.
Share 49ersWebzone