There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cooper Mock Draft 2.0

This mock is with no comp picks because I don't really want to assume what we'll get.
The only extra pick I've added is a 4th round pick that we get in a trade for Alex Smith.
I'm also assuming Tukuafu, RJF/Soap, and Ginn are gone with Goldson, Moss, Gooden, Grant, Walker, and L. Davis signing deals.
A 6th round pick is traded for a future pick.

1. Sharrif Floyd 6-3, 303. DE/DT Florida- A good developmental 3-4 DE that can rotate in and eventually take over for J. Smith..

Trade our 2nd and our 4th round pick for a mid 2nd round pick
2. Jesse Williams 6-4, 320. NT/DT Alabama- A mammoth at the line who can start at NT right away in my opinion..

3a. Ryan Swope 6-1, 206. WR Texas A&M- A tough, surprisingly quick receiver who can compete for the slot right away..

3b. Brandon Jenkins 6-3, 260. OLB Florida State- More depth at the 3-4 OLB position which we need, but he can develop into a starter..

4. Tyrann Mathieu 5-9, 175. CB/S LSU- Take somewhat of a risk on this guy. Can return punts right away and IMO can cover slot receivers (Cruz, Welker).

5a. Marquess Wilson 6-4, 185. WR Washinton State- Another pick on a guy with character concerns. Big target who can develop under Randy Moss..

5b. Shamarko Thomas 5-10, 217. SS Syracuse- Extremely fast (reported 4.3 forty time) and hard hitting. Special Teams terror and developmental safety..

6. Caleb Sturgis 5-10, 186 K Florida- Arguably the best kicker in the draft..

7a. Ryan Griffin 6-6, 247. TE UConn- Big, physical, Tight End with great hands and decent YAC ability. Also a very good run blocker..

7b. James Hurst 6-7, 310. OT- North Carolina- Depth at the Tackle position..

Good picks, but I'm not sure how smart it is to let both our veteran NTs walk and plug in a rookie at that spot. More so than most positions, the NT in a 3-4 defense is an incredibly difficult position to pick up. It's as much about consistently good technique, assignment discipline and other veteran intangibles as it is raw strength and size. Throwing a rookie into a starting NT role on a Super Bowl caliber team that bases its entire defensive strategy on stuffing the run, is a huge mistake (IMO). On a team that's a few years away, I can see it working....let the kid make his mistakes, get run over time and time again and learn through experience, there's nothing wrong with that. But on a team that's competing for titles now? Just don't see it.

So I definitely like the idea of drafting d-line studs like Floyd and Williams to develop into starters eventually, but I'd find a way to re-sign Soap or RJF to reasonable contracts (and neither will break the bank) and let the rookies rotate for the first year so.
Good picks, but I'm not sure how smart it is to let both our veteran NTs walk and plug in a rookie at that spot. More so than most positions, the NT in a 3-4 defense is an incredibly difficult position to pick up. It's as much about consistently good technique, assignment discipline and other veteran intangibles as it is raw strength and size. Throwing a rookie into a starting NT role on a Super Bowl caliber team that bases its entire defensive strategy on stuffing the run, is a huge mistake (IMO). On a team that's a few years away, I can see it working....let the kid make his mistakes, get run over time and time again and learn through experience, there's nothing wrong with that. But on a team that's competing for titles now? Just don't see it.

So I definitely like the idea of drafting d-line studs like Floyd and Williams to develop into starters eventually, but I'd find a way to re-sign Soap or RJF to reasonable contracts (and neither will break the bank) and let the rookies rotate for the first year so.
double posting issues...
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM ]
Give me the first four picks and the kicker and I would be happy.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on the veteran NT aspect.. (I should've made it more clear) but I meant to say, sign either RJF or Soap. However I do still think Williams has the experience, size, and work ethic to contribute very quickly. I didn't realize the NT position was so much about learning assignments, etc. though. Thanks the input!
Originally posted by Cooper22:

Yeah, I definitely agree with you on the veteran NT aspect.. (I should've made it more clear) but I meant to say, sign either RJF or Soap. However I do still think Williams has the experience, size, and work ethic to contribute very quickly. I didn't realize the NT position was so much about learning assignments, etc. though. Thanks the input!

No problem. The NT really is the anchor for any 3-4 defense, but even more so for a predominately 1-gap defense like ours. Our d-line does more "controlling the gap" than they do penetrating, especially on runs. So our NT has to be REALLY disciplined, anchor the middle with consistency/good technique and let others make plays around him. If not, the defense breaks down and teams will be able to run on us. That's why Soap has been so critical to our success the last few years, without putting up big numbers. He just does his job really well, which lets other do theirs.

So I think re-signing Soap and drafting someone like Williams as his eventual successor is probably the best approach. Just my take. But like I said, overall, real good draft.
I like it
Don't see the Niners picking two WRs in the first five rounds AND keeping Moss. I think that, regardless, Moss will not be resigned. His skills are greatly diminshed and and will only regress further with time. Roster spots are precious.

I like the first pick, but doubt that he lasts to the end of the round. However, stranger things have happened and, I'm sure, will.

Nice job.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Getting Sharrif Floyd and Jessie Williams would be great, but it will be awfully hard to do.

In my estimation Jessie Williams is going to be drafted before our pick in the first.

Floyd might last until the 2nd round, but I would not bet on it.

To get both, in my estimation, at a minimum we would have to trade next year's first round pick and this year's 2nd round pick to move up high enough to get Williams.

If we did that, we could take Floyd with our original first round pick.

That is a lot to give up, but it might be the right thing to do.

[ Edited by buck on Jan 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Cooper22:

No problem. The NT really is the anchor for any 3-4 defense, but even more so for a predominately 1-gap defense like ours. Our d-line does more "controlling the gap" than they do penetrating, especially on runs. So our NT has to be REALLY disciplined, anchor the middle with consistency/good technique and let others make plays around him. If not, the defense breaks down and teams will be able to run on us. That's why Soap has been so critical to our success the last few years, without putting up big numbers. He just does his job really well, which lets other do theirs.

So I think re-signing Soap and drafting someone like Williams as his eventual successor is probably the best approach. Just my take. But like I said, overall, real good draft.

I think Williams would end up starting at NT either way. he already has experience at NT from bama and this guy is incredibly strong and stout against the run.

BTW cooper I love your draft...would jump up and down yelling YIPPEE!!
Love the first 2 picks and the kicker. I'm a complete believer that we NEED DLine big time.

I'll need more study time to get caught up.

Thanks!
What are the cons on Jesse Williams? Why is he expected to go late first/early second behind Hankins and Jenkins?
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Don't see the Niners picking two WRs in the first five rounds AND keeping Moss. I think that, regardless, Moss will not be resigned. His skills are greatly diminshed and and will only regress further with time. Roster spots are precious.

I like the first pick, but doubt that he lasts to the end of the round. However, stranger things have happened and, I'm sure, will.

Nice job.

Well, it looks like I nailed that one! Harbaugh just said that he wanted Moss back next year! Lol !
Originally posted by btthepunk:
What are the cons on Jesse Williams? Why is he expected to go late first/early second behind Hankins and Jenkins?

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013jwilliams.php

I guess it's because his pass rushing stats aren't so great. That's not a big deal at all really for the NT in our scheme
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home