2007 Re-Draft

Mel Kiper just did a 2007 redraft...should be on ESPN.com somewhere
1. Megatron
2. Revis
3. Willis
4. AP
5. Thomas
Originally posted by kujon11:
id take revis over willis though. willis is great but sometiems i think he benefits from justin smith. revis doesn't really have anybody

Rookie of the year without Cowboy
It is arguable that Patrick Willis is the best player that came out of that draft. To put it into perspective, if you look at the 1996 draft, http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1996/draft.htm , who wouldn't take Ray Lewis number 1 overall JUST because he plays inside linebacker? However, I'm not upset over anyone picking CJ over Willis. The fact is, Calvin Johnson has had a remarkable start to his career and his numbers are comparable to the GOAT over the first six seasons. It's not Johnson's fault that he was drafted by Detroit however.

Someone pointed this out already, but it's pretty funny that there were 4 possible Hall of Famers available and the Raiders draft Jamarcus Russell. That makes the pick look worse than say the Chargers picking Ryan Leaf (not to excuse the pick, but the best players available after Manning were Randy Moss, Hines Ward, Fred Taylor, Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Birk, and Takeo Spikes). You have 1 sure fire Hall of Famer, 1 possible, and some other very good players available. It's amazing how the talent can differ from one draft to the next.
Originally posted by kujon11:
id take revis over willis though. willis is great but sometiems i think he benefits from justin smith. revis doesn't really have anybody

Everyone on the D benefits from Justin Smith. Willis was an all-pro before Justin Smith signed here.
Originally posted by Niners99:
I would take Patrick Willis over Revis 10 times out 10. No question. Revis is a good stand alone player, but Willis impacts the heart of the defense and makes others better. Plus id bet on Willis being elite for over a decade. The chances of Revis being elite down the road are very slim. Most CB lose a step or two, and have to convert to S.

I'd take the shutdown corner. There's only 1 true shutdown corner in the NFL and that's Revis.

Having Revis immediately cancels out the best receiver on the opposing offense, think about that. And letting the safety just roam around and basically do whatever cause Revis doesn't need help over the top.

Revis is a defensive coordinator's wet dream
[ Edited by InconvenienTTruth21 on Jan 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM ]
I want Adam Carriker
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
I'd take the shutdown corner. There's only 1 true shutdown corner in the NFL and that's Revis.

Having Revis immediately cancels out the best receiver on the opposing offense, think about that. And letting the safety just roam around and basically do whatever cause Revis doesn't need help over the top.

Revis is a defensive coordinator's wet dream

And a dominating middle linebacker that patrols the middle of the field, tackles everything in sight, can cover opposing tight-ends doesn't overcome that?

Jets have Revis, and their defense was still relatively s**tty. Yeah, you shutdown one corner of the field, and the other team beats you up in the intermediate zone, runs the ball on you...etc...etc.

I'd take Willis over Revis 10 times out of 10, if your team has a good pass-rush, the quality of the CB's becomes drastically less important.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
And a dominating middle linebacker that patrols the middle of the field, tackles everything in sight, can cover opposing tight-ends doesn't overcome that?

Jets have Revis, and their defense was still relatively s**tty. Yeah, you shutdown one corner of the field, and the other team beats you up in the intermediate zone, runs the ball on you...etc...etc.

I'd take Willis over Revis 10 times out of 10, if your team has a good pass-rush, the quality of the CB's becomes drastically less important.

We have Bowman for that
It's funny how people keep bringing up CJ's numbers in this new pass happy NFL, but even funnier how people keep saying he got drafted by a sorry team but the past two times we have played Detroit it's not like Zoners were mailing that in as a win. Detroit and every other team in the league operates under the same rules as the 49ers and every other team. I feel like GREAT players use their will as a force to propel their team into a winner, and without a shadow of a doubt Willis has done that for us. Maybe when he gets as much face time on ESPN as Ray Lew you guys will feel diffrent.

We have Bowman for that

Still take Willis, he's the greatest ILB in the league right now, would keep him over pretty much any other player on the team. When he was drafted, its like a ray of sunshine came upon this team, he became a legitimate star when the 49ers didn't really have any outside of Gore. That is still my favorite draft choice of the past 10 years.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM ]
Still take Willis, he's the greatest ILB in the league right now, would keep him over pretty much any other player on the team. When he was drafted, its like a ray of sunshine came upon this team, he became a legitimate star when the 49ers didn't really have any outside of Gore. That is still my favorite draft choice of the past 10 years.

Well ya, as a fan I wouldn't trade Willis for anyone cause I love him so much. But if I'm an NFL GM I would rather have the only shutdown corner in the league over any middle linebacker right now. I love Willis, but I just think in todays NFL having a shutdown corner would be more useful than a great middle linebacker.
1. Adrian Peterson - top 5 RB of all-time
2. Calvin Johnson -
3. Darrell Revis - CB's hard to find
4. Patrick Willis
5. Joe Thomas
6. Marshawn Lynch

That was a damn good draft! (Good thing we didn't pick Carriker)
30 pro-bowlers
5 HOFers

Ted Ginn selected ahead of Willis, Revis, Marshawn Lynch and 26 other pro-bowlers!
49ers did great in this draft with 5 starters, 2 pro bowlers + HOFer: Willis, Staley, McDonald, Goldson, Terrell Brown (Whiffed on Jason Hill. Jay Moore and Joe Cohen)

Well ya, as a fan I wouldn't trade Willis for anyone cause I love him so much. But if I'm an NFL GM I would rather have the only shutdown corner in the league over any middle linebacker right now. I love Willis, but I just think in todays NFL having a shutdown corner would be more useful than a great middle linebacker.

Would you honestly say Revis is a "shutdown" corner? Ever since they changed the passing rules, I don't think anyone is a shutdown corner. Besides that with the read option and pistol becoming so hard for defenses to slow down I would say Revis' value is deminished. He was out basically this whole season, and last year was riddled with injury and holdout so his durability is in question as well. It will be nice to see what type of impact Revis has on the game when he comes back next year.
Yea I'd take Revis, AP and CJ over Willis.

I think Kiper re did the 2007 draft let me see if I can find it It was pretty solid
Share 49ersWebzone