There are 202 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2007 Re-Draft

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I need help settling/shedding more light on a debate. As you all know our beloved Patrick Willis came out the same year as Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson, and in my opinion has had the better career of the three hands down. One of my buddies from a facebook group I admin feels as if middle line backer is not a position that is worthy of a top 5 draft pick and that a team would be dumb to waste a top 5 pick on a mlb. My reply was that well if teams could re-draft 2007 I'm sure they would take Willis over AP and/or Megatron. To support this argument I explained to him that Willis impacts the game without having to have the ball forced to him, and 9 times out of 10 he eliminates the opposing teams top threat. Willis can pass rush, run block, and drop back in coverage, he's a defensive coordinators swiss army knife basically. Above everything else I think the makes the players around him better because he can take on the more diligent task leaving another player free to contribute by doing what he does best rather it be run stop, coverage, etc. I could be wrong as sin, and if I am PLEASE let me know, but here is my top 5 from a 2007 re-draft (not taking a teams needs etc into consideration, just BPA).

1. Willis
2. Revis
3. Peterson
4. Johnson
5. Thomas

Peterson, Johnson and Thomas I was stumped not sure how to rank those three. But I feel confident Revis, and Willis are a toss up but would be taken off the bard before any of the other three because it's rare to find player of their caliber who nearly perfected their crafts very early into their careers.

Thanks for reading.
Those are 5 hall of famers right there, and the raiders decided to go with jalardass russell.

But I don't think Willis would go first even with a re draft. He would go 3rd behind Peterson and Johnson. I love Patrick but it seems people like offensive stars more than defensive stars.
I appreciate your reply golddigger. But let's take fan lore and star power out of the perspective. If you were a NFL GM and looking to build a championship team, wouldn't you take the 5x all pro, 6x pro bowler first? Maybe it's just me but it seems counterproductive to take a running back or wide out top five when there is a guy in the same draft who could neutralize both players. Megatron can go for 200 yards all day but if the drives only end in punts and field goals because you can't stop Willis from causing havoc...what's the point? Then with AP he has never broke 100 yards, nor rushed for a td ona Patrick willis lead defense. Now I do admit scheme and other things play into that, but come on man Willis is just an animal... lol.
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Jan 17, 2013 at 11:30 PM ]
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I appreciate your reply golddigger. But let's take fan lore and star power out of the perspective. If you were a NFL GM and looking to build a championship team, wouldn't you take the 5x all pro, 6x pro bowler first? Maybe it's just me but it seems counterproductive to take a running back or wide out top five when there is a guy in the same draft who could neutralize both players. Megatron can go for 200 yards all day but if the drives only end in punts and field goals because you can't stop Willis from causing havoc...what's the point? Then with AP he has never broke 100 yards, nor rushed for a td ona Patrick willis lead defense. Now I do admit scheme and other things play into that, but come on man Willis is just an animal... lol.

I see your point I would personally draft him first too but I'm just going into the minset of most NFL minds these days.
I wouldn't take a running back that early, not even AP. Megatron? Yes, I would take him. Had Willis been a OLB (3-4) he would have headed up the field, no question.

Three fine players, though.
1. Peterson - too good. Simply a game changer.
2. Revis - can't figure out if he should be #1. Defense goes from terrible to amazing when he plays
3. CJ - i don't think WRs impact a game the same way
4. Willis - great. but so are those above him
5. Thomas - best LT, but has he REALLY been a difference for the Browns?
CJ > Peterson

Keep in mind Peterson's best seasons are likely behind him at this point. He turns 30 in two years. Receivers can play at the highest level into their mid-30s. CJ will still be giving defenses fits after Peterson has retired.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
2. Revis - can't figure out if he should be #1. Defense goes from terrible to amazing when he plays

I would take Patrick Willis over Revis 10 times out 10. No question. Revis is a good stand alone player, but Willis impacts the heart of the defense and makes others better. Plus id bet on Willis being elite for over a decade. The chances of Revis being elite down the road are very slim. Most CB lose a step or two, and have to convert to S.
id take revis over willis though. willis is great but sometiems i think he benefits from justin smith. revis doesn't really have anybody
Anyone that doesn't put Peterson #1 didn't see him play this year. The man was a beast and as close to unstoppable as I have seen. CJ has to be #2 - equally as unstoppable. Willis is #3, although an argument can be made he isn't even the best linebacker on our team. Revis #4, and Thomas #5.
[ Edited by Rathman_44 on Jan 18, 2013 at 5:55 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
CJ > Peterson

Keep in mind Peterson's best seasons are likely behind him at this point. He turns 30 in two years. Receivers can play at the highest level into their mid-30s. CJ will still be giving defenses fits after Peterson has retired.

But that doesn't mean that he is better than Peterson. To me, its a toss up between the two because neither guy will LEAD their respective teams to a Championship.

Willis on the other hand is the center piece of a Championship calibre D.

Take that how you want to take it.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

The Browns have had crap qb's not the LT's fault
My sentiments are that sure AP is a good player but running backs are honestly a dime a dozen. On the flip side of that look at how many running backs have stellar games against other defenses and look at how many running backs have good games against us. You have to give Willis his fair share of credit for that. Remember the game where we played the Vikings and AP only had 14 carries for 3 yards and Willis had 8 tackles and 1 fumble recovery? Before this season AP has always been a playmaker but he had fumbling issues and was simply a good standalone player, he made no one around him better. Megatron I feel the same way about him, he is great as an individual player but he does nothing else for the team, you still have to prop more player around him to make him better. You bring players like Carlos Rodgers and Donte Whitner to San Fran and they are reborn because you have a guy like Willis who can do so many other things that he lets the 10 other guys on defense concentrate on doing what they do best. I really appreciate all the responses, you guys are great!
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

As much as I love me some PWilly (Giggity), I would rank AP in front of him. Yes, Willis has all the accolades and awards and fronts a Top 3 defense, but the value AP provides is astronomical on offense. Even with crappy OL and subpar QB play, the guy posts up freakish numbers. Only thing I hold in favor of PWilly is longevity. PWilly will have a longer NFL span due to his style of play and health history. Here's my Top 5 redraft:

1. AP
2. PWilly
3. CJ (Matchup freak, but still requires someone to get him the ball)
4. Revis (The man shuts down a whole side of the field...unless your name is Randy Moss, hehe...not quite PrimeTime level, but very close)
5. Thomas (Franchise LT who is one of two positives for the Browns. The other positive being not the worst NFL team, Thank You Oakland)
If you re do the 2007 according to their actual order then here is how it will go:

1. Oakland - Adrian Peterson
2. Detroit - Calvin Johnson
3. Cleveland - Joe Thomas
4. Tampa Bay - Patrick Willis
5. Arizona - Darrell Revis
6. Washington - Dashon Goldson
7. Minnesota - Marshawn Lynch
8. Atlanta - Dwayne Bowe
9. Miami - LeMar Woodley
10. Houston - Joe Staley

I based my re-draft prediction on what those team need at the time. Obviously around that time the Raiders were conflicted between Peterson and Russell. Since the Raiders picked Peterson on this re-draft that Minnesota ends up with the next best running back. Goldson is the best safety on that draft, hence I had him going to Washington instead of LaRon Landry.

In this re-draft the niners don't end up with either player since all three of their players will be taken before they pick at 11.