There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Delanie Walker V2.0

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
we have our replacement on the roster already....Garrett Celek, he can block, is athletic and can catch as well....the coaches love celek, they have called him "an ascending player" in multiple interviews

So if Vernon misses a game you think the Niners are comfortable with Celek and a couple defensive linesmen playing TE? No way we don't draft a TE or Hback/TE hybrid.
Agree we will address the position in the draft.
Lets hope he can catch better.
If he can catch well then he is not Delanie 2.0
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Agreed. Walker was on the field for 56% of our snaps last year. Replacing him is a real need. You can't just rely on Celek.

I can't say enough good things about Tyler Eifert after studying his film he would be a perfect target for Colin Kaepernick all over the field and especially in the Red Zone he's outstanding at beating DB's for the ball.

Give Eifert a year in the gym with the big boys and a year of coaching up refining his blocking in an NFL offense and the 49ers get a pro bowl TE for 8-10 years as good as Jimmy Graham. And if i'm Colin Kaepernick and i'm asked about Tyler Eifert I would be advising the 49ers to get me this big monster and i'll have the added RZ option whenever needed to throw a jump ball 3-4 feet over the DB's to my TE!!

TOUCHDOWN 49ERS TYLER EIFERT!!

[ Edited by SkyGod on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Chris Harper, WR-Kansas State. Another over-sized, physical receiver, not the fastest guy out there but decent speed.Former quarterback, shows good offensive awareness, not a superb route runner but gets the job done for the most part, reliable downfield blocker. Possesses very good hands.

About 6'0"-6'1", 230-235 pounds.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM ]
Good catch. I hope he works out. He looks the part. His athleticism for his size is very intriguing. How long do you think before we can expect production?
Originally posted by eonblue:
Good catch. I hope he works out. He looks the part. His athleticism for his size is very intriguing. How long do you think before we can expect production?

Tough to tell, he certainly has to improve as a blocker, he's a pretty good blocker for a WR but there's much more demanding requirements as a TE. I expect him to be mostly inactive but depending on injuries and how things go, he could contribute on special teams and possibly as the #3 TE, his quickness and width are going to create a matchup problem for defenses. Not sure why he was having issues in Seattle, but his hands in college for the most part were pretty reliable. Hopefully he can turn that around, a sure-handed version of Delanie could be absolutely lethal.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Tough to tell, he certainly has to improve as a blocker, he's a pretty good blocker for a WR but there's much more demanding requirements as a TE. I expect him to be mostly inactive but depending on injuries and how things go, he could contribute on special teams and possibly as the #3 TE, his quickness and width are going to create a matchup problem for defenses. Not sure why he was having issues in Seattle, but his hands in college for the most part were pretty reliable. Hopefully he can turn that around, a sure-handed version of Delanie could be absolutely lethal.

I suspect he will be mostly inactive too. I guess that means Celek will stay on the roster. I can see how a lot of people could be frustrated that we're running 4 TE. I think he's valuable pick up, and in the unfortunate case that someone gets hurt he may see some gametime.

I don't think he has bad hands. What I noticed from the Baylor/WV is that when he gets deep in coverage he has problems making the catch. He has no problems catching the ball on hook and crossing routes, but I don't think he made one catch on the post and corner routes. Granted Klein was throwing to him, but some of these were hitting him the hand. Maybe this is why Seattle has made comments about his hands, but then again maybe I'm mistaking his inability to make the catch with good coverage on those plays in the Baylor/WV snaps.

As far as I can recall Walker didn't run those routes though, and he dropped most of the hook and go route. If we can teach him to block like a HB this will be a great pickup.
[ Edited by eonblue on Sep 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM ]
lol, I think Harbaugh and Baalke study Phoenix's reports. Well done, dude!
Originally posted by AmpLee:

It's pretty remarkable how often this dude nails his evaluations.
  • Amir
  • Veteran

Phoenix, start a thread about Clowney. DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Seriously. Not even Seattle thought about turning this guy into an H-back/TE (and they could have totally used one).

Maybe Phoenix49ers just Baalke's user name.
[ Edited by AmpLee on Sep 2, 2013 at 5:52 PM ]
Originally posted by iLL49er:
we have our replacement on the roster already....Garrett Celek, he can block, is athletic and can catch as well....the coaches love celek, they have called him "an ascending player" in multiple interviews

LOL. Kiss of death.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Seriously. Not even Seattle thought about turning this guy into an H-back/TE (and they could have totally used one).

lol

I enjoy Phoenix's posts but you guys are laying it on too thick, he has had his misses (just as any regular draft poster has)

LOL.

I just tend to be very opinionated, there's certain players that I like a lot and I can see the potential for them to do some great things, such as Patton, and there's others that I'm just not a big fan of, no matter what the hype is. One of the things I look at primarily is a guy's work ethic, their level of development from their first year onwards, how much dedication they show, that is a big factor in translating college success to NFL success.

I also look at how players fit into a certain system, one guy that was popular around here, that I was highly opposed to was Justin Hunter. Great athletic ability, potential to be a pretty good NFL receiver but I absolutely didn't see how he fit the 49ers and never expected them to take him. He's a terrible, atrocious run-blocker, goes down at the first bit of contact, lets way too many passes get to his body, built even skinnier than AJ Jenkins, yeah he has nice measurables, but didn't fit this offense at all.

Of course, I was pretty much the head of the Coby Fleener bandwagon and we all have seen how that one went, although to be fair, I guess Fleener hasn't been any worse than AJ Jenkins, but that was one where I saw a guy with a lot of tools, a good attitude, a good work ethic, I felt he could make an impact in the NFL, he still might, but it doesn't look promising at this point.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM ]