There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Delanie Walker V2.0

Originally posted by communist:
plz don't declare him a receiver...way too inconsisten hands.

Harper has big oven mitt hands, pretty reliable as a receiver for the most part.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM ]
Still feeling like he could be a good Walker replacement phoenix? More and more I'm liking this guy and if we don't address TE early(I think its a big need) then wouldn't mind Harper in the fourth or so
I want Harper as a receiver, not a TE. If we want Walker 2.0 who is ready to contribute and wont need years to learn how to block NFL lineman between the tackles we should go with Jordan Reed.
THIS is the guy to replace Walker:

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout15m
Chris Gragg (Arkansas) is a perfect fit for the #49ers offense in replacing Delanie Walker. Injured in '12, Gragg was a stud in '11.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/chris-gragg?id=2539202

OVERVIEW
Gragg started his Arkansas career at wide receiver after starring there at the Natural State's own Warren High School. He played in every game as a true freshman, starting in three, but caught just one pass for 25 yards on the year. A dislocated left ankle suffered during pre-season practices caused Gragg to redshirt in the 2009 season, but he returned to play in all 13 of the Razorbacks' contests the following year (four starts, eight catches, 171 yards, two touchdowns). He finally became a regular target with Wilson running the show in 2011, starting eight of 13 games played and finishing third in the team in receptions (41) and fourth in receiving yardage (518) while also scoring twice. Gragg dealt with a lingering knee injury his senior season, as he only managed to play in 5 games. In this injury shortened season, Gragg caught 22 passes for 289 yards and three touchdowns.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS
Straight-line speed helps him separate from linebackers in the middle of the field, which are often open as the team's gaggle of receivers open up the defense. Possesses receiver-like hands, adjusting to poor throws and going up to snatch passes above his head. Strong runner after the catch, churning through and spinning off tackles to maximize the play. Gives good effort as an in-line and downfield blocker.

WEAKNESSES
Long-legged, can take time to get moving off the snap and change directions. Occasional drops have hurt his reliability in the past. Carries the ball away from his body while trying to get the extra yard. Lacks the desired bulk to block as an in-line tight end. Too often will be caught losing balance, lacks agility. Not a smooth athlete.

NFL COMPARISON
Danny Fells

BOTTOM LINE
Gragg has dealt with some injuries throughout his career, and in particular, a knee injury really derailed his senior season. Gragg will have to play an H-Back role in the NFL due to his lack of size to block in-line. While he possesses good hands and speed, Gragg is a linear athlete who will struggle to be a successful blocker in the pros.

-------------

Worth noting: It took Walker some time to develop his blocking as well, but with good coaching, it became one of his better assets..
I've been saying this since mid season, cmon.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Looks like I'm late for the party ;-)

What round do you think he falls to?
^^^ um...I asked phoenix.

Jk right on guys for the feedback. See Harper compared to Boldin a lot, and wouldn't mind him at wr either. With manningham brought back, today's news that Williams is running, and Jenkins 1st round status, idk if we look at wr early. Though I'd like them too. Harper could be had later it seems.

Gragg had a good combine right? Heard a lot about him being injury prone at the time but I don't know much about him otherwise. Just what I've read
We should ask the Jets who their top 5 tightends are and than not take one of those guys!
Walker was not drafted by this regime and although they found great ways to deploy him in the offense, they didn't cry when he left. So I'm not putting a lot of value in the idea that Harbaugh and Roman WANT Walker 2.0. They may be looking towards someone bigger and more traditional like Ertz (who also lined up multiple positions).
Originally posted by slowriot:

Looks like I'm late for the party ;-)

What round do you think he falls to?

I think a mid rounder 4-5th round, if you saw any Kansas State games he was pretty exciting to watch. Big target, always made plays.
we have our replacement on the roster already....Garrett Celek, he can block, is athletic and can catch as well....the coaches love celek, they have called him "an ascending player" in multiple interviews
  • kush
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iLL49er:
we have our replacement on the roster already....Garrett Celek, he can block, is athletic and can catch as well....the coaches love celek, they have called him "an ascending player" in multiple interviews

This.

Never underestimate flattering words coaches have for their players. I'm convinced we're going to trade for Chilo this offseason so Harbaugh can get one of his favs back.
Originally posted by kush:
This.

Never underestimate flattering words coaches have for their players. I'm convinced we're going to trade for Chilo this offseason so Harbaugh can get one of his favs back.

When did he say good things about chilo?
Originally posted by iLL49er:

So if Vernon misses a game you think the Niners are comfortable with Celek and a couple defensive linesmen playing TE? No way we don't draft a TE or Hback/TE hybrid.
So if Vernon misses a game you think the Niners are comfortable with Celek and a couple defensive linesmen playing TE? No way we don't draft a TE or Hback/TE hybrid.

Agreed. Walker was on the field for 56% of our snaps last year. Replacing him is a real need. You can't just rely on Celek.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM ]