LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 229 users in the forums

Nose Tackle

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The guy nobody has mentioned, who may or may not be coming out but is an interesting prospect is Mister Cobble of Kentucky. Standing only 6 feet tall but weighing about 330 pounds, he manages to wreak massive havoc, is effective against the run and as a pass rusher. Extremely strong, explosive, good motor, etc, very active attacker.

IMO, most people are waiting to see whether he declares or not before mentioning him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Jenkins however has pass rush ability, Floyd and Williams are run-stoppers and that is basically it, neither is a real pass rushing threat, especially Williams.

Jenkins had only one sack in two years at Georgia.

Floyd had 4.5 in three years at Florida.

It looks like neither Floyd or Jenkins are pass rushing threats.

Sylvester Williams had 8.5 sacks in two years at North Carolina.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Agreed...in the 49ers scheme, NTs are more role players than anything else, plugging gaps, tying up o-lineman and just battling in the trenches. They don't ask them to get much pressure or even make many plays.

So I think the smart way to go is to re-sign RJF (scheme familiarity and proven contributor), have Ian Williams back him up (he's been on the 53-man roster the last few years, that has to mean they see some potential in him) then draft a developmental player behind those two, probably somewhere in rounds 3-5.

I'd then draft a 3-4 DE in the first to learn from and eventually replace Justin Smith. The money players are the LBs and the 3-4 DEs, so that's where I'd make my biggest investments.

Good food for thought.
Originally posted by communist:
where can i.rewatch college games?

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/replay/sport/football/days/days-30/
  • buck
  • Veteran
Don't want any part of Short, that is a bust waiting to happen.

To tell the truth, I also worry that Short might end up being a bust.
Originally posted by buck:

You v should stop quoting stats and watch a game of the player because stats can be misleading. Im sure you know this but my point is that despite lack of sacks Jenkins lines up over center and collapses the pocket. A QB hurry is just as valuable as sack. Shariff played next to a behemith kwama geathers and spent time single blocked. Williams played in a 4 man front that creates more base pressure with the spend ends. The system we play in,needs a mammoth run blockinh double teaming soaking NT like jenkins. Not another guy that's going to depend on Justin smith to draw a double team. Maybe Sharif and Sylvester will demand the.double team as well but idk the.both seem like rjfs to me.at this point. I hope baalke sells his soul to the devil to get star lotouleli. He's the guy
Agreed...in the 49ers scheme, NTs are more role players than anything else, plugging gaps, tying up o-lineman and just battling in the trenches. They don't ask them to get much pressure or even make many plays.

So I think the smart way to go is to re-sign RJF (scheme familiarity and proven contributor), have Ian Williams back him up (he's been on the 53-man roster the last few years, that has to mean they see some potential in him) then draft a developmental player behind those two, probably somewhere in rounds 3-5.

I'd then draft a 3-4 DE in the first to learn from and eventually replace Justin Smith. The money players are the LBs and the 3-4 DEs, so that's where I'd make my biggest investments.

I disagree with both of you fundamentally. Where the scheme may not ask the NT to pressure doesn't mean they wouldn't want the NT too. We don't have a dominant NT but if we did.they would surely scheme for him. Not to mention ut would b nice to have a NT that can break a double team that would free.up every one else. My point is the lack of involvement at NT isn't because they don't want it but because they don't have a NT worth scheming around. I'm telling you if we could find a dominant NT this defense would b the next level.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
You v should stop quoting stats and watch a game of the player because stats can be misleading. Im sure you know this but my point is that despite lack of sacks Jenkins lines up over center and collapses the pocket. A QB hurry is just as valuable as sack. Shariff played next to a behemith kwama geathers and spent time single blocked. Williams played in a 4 man front that creates more base pressure with the spend ends. The system we play in,needs a mammoth run blockinh double teaming soaking NT like jenkins. Not another guy that's going to depend on Justin smith to draw a double team. Maybe Sharif and Sylvester will demand the.double team as well but idk the.both seem like rjfs to me.at this point. I hope baalke sells his soul to the devil to get star lotouleli. He's the guy

Thanks for the advise.

By the way, I checked Jenkins did have 14 quarterback hurries in his two years. That stat supports your point.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM ]
Originally posted by eonblue:

I disagree with both of you fundamentally. Where the scheme may not ask the NT to pressure doesn't mean they wouldn't want the NT too. We don't have a dominant NT but if we did.they would surely scheme for him. Not to mention ut would b nice to have a NT that can break a double team that would free.up every one else. My point is the lack of involvement at NT isn't because they don't want it but because they don't have a NT worth scheming around. I'm telling you if we could find a dominant NT this defense would b the next level.

Three things I would point to in support of my view:

1.) They haven't brought in any new talent AT ALL over the last few years to really challenge Soap or RJF, so they must like the way those two go about their business and how their talents fit the scheme they've installed

2.) The results over the last few years (2nd in points allowed/4th in total yards allowed in 2011, 2nd in points allowed/1st in total yards allowed in 2012) seem to indicate that the personnel style/types are working just fine

3.) What neither of us know for sure (other than what we see) is what is required of the NT in this system, since this dictates what kind of player they need. Do they want their NT to penetrate gaps, get up the field and make plays or do they want their NT to clog up the middle and occupy interior blockers, thus allowing others to make plays? Yes, you'd ideally want your NT to have the skills to do both, but that's a rare skill in one package.

What I see is this: because it's asking a lot of the NT to stuff the run, hold the middle and take on multiple interior blockers, it's less wear and tear on a guy if you have a nice rotation. A guy like Soap who has the power and leverage to hold his own against the run, and a guy like RJF to get up the field on passing downs. For this scheme and for how critical they believe it is to stop the run, what I see is that a rotation works really, really well.

But yes, if you can find a dominant, Vince Wilfork type of NT who can do both, you do it...but those are pretty rare. When you can't find that, you create a rotation that plays on the strengths of the different NTs and keeps them more fresh throughout the year.
Originally posted by buck:

Pass rush isn't only defined by sacks. Jenkins is able to get to the quarterback regularly, at least collapsing the pocket and getting him to move. Jesse Williams is more of a stand your ground/run masher type. The big downside I see to Jenkins is his tendency to wear down, he's really only a 2-down NT, but in that role, could be a damn good one.

His tendency to crush the pocket made it a lot easier to guys like Jarvis Jones to come in rack up sacks. If the 49ers want an NT with a good motor and an ability to stop the run and rush the passer, Jenkins is about as good as it gets in this draft.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM ]

• buck
  • Veteran
Pass rush isn't only defined by sacks. Jenkins is able to get to the quarterback regularly, at least collapsing the pocket and getting him to move. Jesse Williams is more of a stand your ground/run masher type. The big downside I see to Jenkins is his tendency to wear down, he's really only a 2-down NT, but in that role, could be a damn good one.

His tendency to crush the pocket made it a lot easier to guys like Jarvis Jones to come in rack up sacks. If the 49ers want an NT with a good motor and an ability to stop the run and rush the passer, Jenkins is about as good as it gets in this draft.

You are right. Pass rushing is more than getting sacks.

I am not a big fan of his, but we shall see.

Share 49ersWebzone