LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 297 users in the forums

Nose Tackle

Think we can all guess this is where we're picking in the 1st round.

Can the college fanatics please help with some scouting on the top Nose tackles we're most likely to take in the draft.

In your picks remember a couple things:

1. Harbaugh and Baalke like physical, mean, and tough guys. (Remember Aldon played on broken leg and owned.)

2. They're willing to sit a guy for a year and let him learn the game.

3. We have lots and lots of picks we may trade up to get the guy we want.
It depends on whether you want a 0 tec NT or 3 tec DT.

Theres only 2 true 0 tec NT that have a chance to fall to us.
Jesse Williams Alabama
Johnathan Jenkins Georgia

or we could possibly trade up for
Johnathan Hankins Ohio state
Star lotuleili Utah

or we could go for a strong mobile DT
Shariff floyd Florida
Sylvester Williams NC
Kawann short Purdue
Isay move up and get who we want. I wouldnt be surprised that we dont focus a whole lot on Nt i think ian williams will translate to that postion. I do believe we take floyd in the first round to help rotate with ray and justin. We may need another cb soon too, culliver was burnt a good bit yesterday and rogers is getting older.
I think the smart move is to sign a FA NT like Sammie Hill. That gives the Niners more flexibility to go BPA at the top of the draft. I'd still target one of the DT/DE players like Sharif or Short to play 3/4 DE though.
we need a guy with a non stop motor
Jesse Williams- would like to get him strong nose that has some mobility

Jonathan Jenkins- pretty unimpressed with him, has conditioning issue and wears down late in games

Shariff Floyd- isn't a true nose, but a solid player that can play both the run and pass very well and would definately help our d line out

Start Loutelli- Would have to give up to much to get him

Kwaan Short- Shows flashes of greatness, but pretty inconsistent

I would be satisfied with either Jesse Williams or Shariff Floyd in this draft because they are guys that can play both the run and pass.
where can i.rewatch college games?
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for maxsmart.
Nose tackles aren't very valued by the 49ers unless they can rush the passer. The 49ers' defense was on the field for 1,057 plays this year, but their starting nose tackle Sopoaga only played 362 snaps. That's because they want linemen who are 3-down players who can rush the passer. Their DB's and DE's played almost every down, but they take out the NT on passing downs. So don't expect any high picks on a NT unless he can rush the passer. But if they can find a NT who does rush the passer, that is a very valuable guy, but it's more likely that they will draft a 3-down DE.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is a list of Nose Tackles by round.

1 Star Lotulelei Utah 6-3 320

1 *Johnathan Hankins Ohio State 6-3 320

1 Jesse Williams Alabama 6-3 320

2 Sylvester Williams North Carolina 6-3 320

2 Kawann Short Purdue 6-3 315 might be a 3-4 DE, not sure which is best fit

3 Brandon Williams Missouri Southern St 6-2 328

3 John Jenkins Georgia 6-3 358

3 Kwame Geathers Georgia 6-6 355 given his bloodlines he might go before John Jenkins!!

4 Cory Grissom South Florida 6-2 316

4 Anthony McCloud Florida State 6-2 322

6 Montori Hughes Tennessee-Martin 6-3 330

7 Gilbert PenaDTMississippi6-2338

FA Anthony Rashad White Michigan State 6-2 330
Originally posted by buck:
Here is a list of Nose Tackles by round.

1 Star Lotulelei Utah 6-3 320

1 *Johnathan Hankins Ohio State 6-3 320

1 Jesse Williams Alabama 6-3 320

2 Sylvester Williams North Carolina 6-3 320

2 Kawann Short Purdue 6-3 315 might be a 3-4 DE, not sure which is best fit

3 Brandon Williams Missouri Southern St 6-2 328

3 John Jenkins Georgia 6-3 358

3 Kwame Geathers Georgia 6-6 355 given his bloodlines he might go before John Jenkins!!

4 Cory Grissom South Florida 6-2 316

4 Anthony McCloud Florida State 6-2 322

6 Montori Hughes Tennessee-Martin 6-3 330

7 Gilbert PenaDTMississippi6-2338

FA Anthony Rashad White Michigan State 6-2 330

by round?

I've seen Sylvester Williams, Kawann Short and John Jenkins all mentioned as first rounders numerous times. You really think all three will fall out of the first round?

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
by round?

I've seen Sylvester Williams, Kawann Short and John Jenkins all mentioned as first rounders numerous times. You really think all three will fall out of the first round?

We will see, but who knows at this point.

I do think that both Short and Jenkins have been somewhat inconsistent--enough that they drop.

If the two of them do well rom here on out, they could work their way into the late first, but they have to do well.

Williams could work his way up also, but at this point I do not think the three are first round picks.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Nose tackles aren't very valued by the 49ers unless they can rush the passer. The 49ers' defense was on the field for 1,057 plays this year, but their starting nose tackle Sopoaga only played 362 snaps. That's because they want linemen who are 3-down players who can rush the passer. Their DB's and DE's played almost every down, but they take out the NT on passing downs. So don't expect any high picks on a NT unless he can rush the passer. But if they can find a NT who does rush the passer, that is a very valuable guy, but it's more likely that they will draft a 3-down DE.

Agreed...in the 49ers scheme, NTs are more role players than anything else, plugging gaps, tying up o-lineman and just battling in the trenches. They don't ask them to get much pressure or even make many plays.

So I think the smart way to go is to re-sign RJF (scheme familiarity and proven contributor), have Ian Williams back him up (he's been on the 53-man roster the last few years, that has to mean they see some potential in him) then draft a developmental player behind those two, probably somewhere in rounds 3-5.

I'd then draft a 3-4 DE in the first to learn from and eventually replace Justin Smith. The money players are the LBs and the 3-4 DEs, so that's where I'd make my biggest investments.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM ]
Originally posted by iowa49er_75:
Jesse Williams- would like to get him strong nose that has some mobility

Jonathan Jenkins- pretty unimpressed with him, has conditioning issue and wears down late in games

Shariff Floyd- isn't a true nose, but a solid player that can play both the run and pass very well and would definately help our d line out

Start Loutelli- Would have to give up to much to get him

Kwaan Short- Shows flashes of greatness, but pretty inconsistent

I would be satisfied with either Jesse Williams or Shariff Floyd in this draft because they are guys that can play both the run and pass.

Jenkins however has pass rush ability, Floyd and Williams are run-stoppers and that is basically it, neither is a real pass rushing threat, especially Williams.
Originally posted by buck:
We will see, but who knows at this point.

I do think that both Short and Jenkins have been somewhat inconsistent--enough that they drop.

If the two of them do well rom here on out, they could work their way into the late first, but they have to do well.

Williams could work his way up also, but at this point I do not think the three are first round picks.

Don't want any part of Short, that is a bust waiting to happen.
The guy nobody has mentioned, who may or may not be coming out but is an interesting prospect is Mister Cobble of Kentucky. Standing only 6 feet tall but weighing about 330 pounds, he manages to wreak massive havoc, is effective against the run and as a pass rusher. Extremely strong, explosive, good motor, etc, very active attacker.
Share 49ersWebzone