There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

A question about RBs

I really think that 49ers will pick a Rb at some point in the next draft.

We had a lot of picks and besides Hunter e LMJ aren't every down backs and Gore is not getting any younger.

In the next draft perhaps superstar rbs lack but it's deep with several good prospects.

I think that Baalke and Harbaugh will search a RB with the following traits: every down back and comfortable to play the pistol offense and the read option.

Gore is a excellent back but he is at his in the power formation

Which rb in next draft do you think have these traits ?

I think Stefphon Jefferson from Nevada fits he bill but he is a late round prospect.

Someone else?
[ Edited by Decima_Mas on Jan 9, 2013 at 3:51 AM ]
Well Kenjon barner plays in the spread offense but hes not a an every down back.Hes not an in the trenches runner.

The thing is I think you can teach a back how to run in pistol/read/spread offense but they have to be quick. They also need to be able to gain extra yardages by shaking off tackles.

Stephan Taylor is really quick and can get to the corner quickly. Hes really fast when he hits the secondary. He has great hands and has played the spread offense at Stanford. His weakness is his strength. He doesnt really fight for the extra yards.

Mike Gillisee is quick and agile. He also has good vision and is able to find the hole and cut through them. Hes loses alot of momentum when he cuts but he run well in space. He plays a more typical offense at Georgia. He wouldnt be familiar with any of these offenses since Georgia mainly uses the gun. He would be the best option because he has the moves to beat backs and the strength to still get some extra yardage in threnches.

Kniles Davis is used to traditional spread offense but hes so quick and agile he can beat the players on the line and speed past the secondary. I dont know how he would handle the spread/pistol/read offense but I would really like to see how he would adjust and I think he would great in any offense. His stock has dropped cause he had a bad year at arkansas. They started to sub him out after the power running game worked with dennis johnson and he never got into stride but easing him into the team or letting him practice would be great for him and I feenl he has the most upside. He oculdve been a top 30 pick but his knee injury set him back and the last year at arkansas has taken his confidence I think he would be a great value pick in the 4th.

Eddie lacy......Yea no point telling you what I think about him

I think we need
Originally posted by eonblue:
Well Kenjon barner plays in the spread offense but hes not a an every down back.Hes not an in the trenches runner.

The thing is I think you can teach a back how to run in pistol/read/spread offense but they have to be quick. They also need to be able to gain extra yardages by shaking off tackles.

Stephan Taylor is really quick and can get to the corner quickly. Hes really fast when he hits the secondary. He has great hands and has played the spread offense at Stanford. His weakness is his strength. He doesnt really fight for the extra yards.

Mike Gillisee is quick and agile. He also has good vision and is able to find the hole and cut through them. Hes loses alot of momentum when he cuts but he run well in space. He plays a more typical offense at Georgia. He wouldnt be familiar with any of these offenses since Georgia mainly uses the gun. He would be the best option because he has the moves to beat backs and the strength to still get some extra yardage in threnches.

Kniles Davis is used to traditional spread offense but hes so quick and agile he can beat the players on the line and speed past the secondary. I dont know how he would handle the spread/pistol/read offense but I would really like to see how he would adjust and I think he would great in any offense. His stock has dropped cause he had a bad year at arkansas. They started to sub him out after the power running game worked with dennis johnson and he never got into stride but easing him into the team or letting him practice would be great for him and I feenl he has the most upside. He oculdve been a top 30 pick but his knee injury set him back and the last year at arkansas has taken his confidence I think he would be a great value pick in the 4th.

Eddie lacy......Yea no point telling you what I think about him

I think we need

I'd hope they aren't simply drafting around a gimmick system that may not have long-term viability. Dennis Johnson would be a great pick and a terrific complement to a guy like LaMichael James. After seeing the beating that RG3 has taken running the pistol and read option throughout the season.....
Well i rarely see us running the Pistol or the zone read. In fact i just watched the cards game again and we ran maybe 5 pistol plays. One designed qb run in the RZ. No zone read. I dont think they plan on installing the piatol just yet but they're experimenting. It conpliments schemes very well. It can.confuse defense and set up really big plays. RG3 was really dumb. He seemed to think he could gazelle around and not get pounded. Haloti gnata is the guy whi tore his lcl. He was playing on it against the hawks. Really dissappointing they did. Shanahans been trying to cover his ass but he did more harm by having a hurt player out therw than good. Cousins couldve made it happen but seeing.griffin.struggle.was sad and selfish of him and shanahan. I Like DJ too but hes not as quick as Kniles. Both would be awesome tho.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Well i rarely see us running the Pistol or the zone read. In fact i just watched the cards game again and we ran maybe 5 pistol plays. One designed qb run in the RZ. No zone read. I dont think they plan on installing the piatol just yet but they're experimenting. It conpliments schemes very well. It can.confuse defense and set up really big plays. RG3 was really dumb. He seemed to think he could gazelle around and not get pounded. Haloti gnata is the guy whi tore his lcl. He was playing on it against the hawks. Really dissappointing they did. Shanahans been trying to cover his ass but he did more harm by having a hurt player out therw than good. Cousins couldve made it happen but seeing.griffin.struggle.was sad and selfish of him and shanahan. I Like DJ too but hes not as quick as Kniles. Both would be awesome tho.

Bottom line, Johnson delivered, Davis didn't. Davis had all the hype and supposed amazing athletic ability, yet Johnson was the guy out on the field, getting s**t done, running well, hitting the hole hard, busting his ass out on the field and making plays. With a choice between the two of them, the decision isn't even close as to the guy I'd prefer.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Bottom line, Johnson delivered, Davis didn't. Davis had all the hype and supposed amazing athletic ability, yet Johnson was the guy out on the field, getting s**t done, running well, hitting the hole hard, busting his ass out on the field and making plays. With a choice between the two of them, the decision isn't even close as to the guy I'd prefer.

Im not debating who delivered and who didnt. Look at kniles 2011 seaaon if you dont think he has what it takes. Im not saying DJ didnt do a better job either but hes going to get the ball try a cut and slow down to 3mph and in college where the.guys aren't as fast or strong that's all right but in the pros theyll make him a snack. Hes down hill runner. And Im sure with our run blocking je would flourish. Hes definitely strong but.he has to take a couple of step to get there. I feel that once kniles fully rehabs and gains his confidence he will be a force again. Theres no hype about.Davis he delivered and then got hurt. I just feel.Davis has mondo potential.
If they bring the coach from UNR as offensive coordinator, I could envision the Niners picking up Kenjon Barner with the 3rd round pick from Carolina. If Barner can return punts, LMJ and Barner would be the primary KR and PR and give the new OC so many options with what I dub the modified pistol.
Originally posted by eonblue:


Stephan Taylor is really quick and can get to the corner quickly. Hes really fast when he hits the secondary. He has great hands and has played the spread offense at Stanford. His weakness is his strength. He doesnt really fight for the extra yards.

I take it you have never seen Stanford play. Stanford is not a spread offense. They are a power running team, Power being the key word. Stepfan is a power runner. He made a living at gaining yards after contact. He's a jack of all trades type of back. He'd be a great addition to any team.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by eonblue:
Well Kenjon barner plays in the spread offense but hes not a an every down back.Hes not an in the trenches runner.

The thing is I think you can teach a back how to run in pistol/read/spread offense but they have to be quick. They also need to be able to gain extra yardages by shaking off tackles.

Stephan Taylor is really quick and can get to the corner quickly. Hes really fast when he hits the secondary. He has great hands and has played the spread offense at Stanford. His weakness is his strength. He doesnt really fight for the extra yards.

Mike Gillisee is quick and agile. He also has good vision and is able to find the hole and cut through them. Hes loses alot of momentum when he cuts but he run well in space. He plays a more typical offense at Georgia. He wouldnt be familiar with any of these offenses since Georgia mainly uses the gun. He would be the best option because he has the moves to beat backs and the strength to still get some extra yardage in threnches.

Kniles Davis is used to traditional spread offense but hes so quick and agile he can beat the players on the line and speed past the secondary. I dont know how he would handle the spread/pistol/read offense but I would really like to see how he would adjust and I think he would great in any offense. His stock has dropped cause he had a bad year at arkansas. They started to sub him out after the power running game worked with dennis johnson and he never got into stride but easing him into the team or letting him practice would be great for him and I feenl he has the most upside. He oculdve been a top 30 pick but his knee injury set him back and the last year at arkansas has taken his confidence I think he would be a great value pick in the 4th.

Eddie lacy......Yea no point telling you what I think about him

I think we need

I'd hope they aren't simply drafting around a gimmick system that may not have long-term viability. Dennis Johnson would be a great pick and a terrific complement to a guy like LaMichael James. After seeing the beating that RG3 has taken running the pistol and read option throughout the season.....

The Niners are unique in that they run both a standard offense from behind center and the modified Pistol offense. If they want to continue running a "traditional" set offense, they will need a bigger banger at RB with Hunter and LMJ as the change of pace backs for the spread. Gore's postseason performance will have a lot to do with how the front office looks at the upcoming draft.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
The Niners are unique in that they run both a standard offense from behind center and the modified Pistol offense. If they want to continue running a "traditional" set offense, they will need a bigger banger at RB with Hunter and LMJ as the change of pace backs for the spread. Gore's postseason performance will have a lot to do with how the front office looks at the upcoming draft.

IMO This is the scenario that we have to avoid. A big back to use in a traditional offense and two change of pace likeLMJ and Hunter for the spread. We'll be very predictable. Every defense would know our intentions only seeing which rb of ours is on the field.

The best scenairo is to have a complete back able to do everything.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I take it you have never seen Stanford play. Stanford is not a spread offense. They are a power running team, Power being the key word. Stepfan is a power runner. He made a living at gaining yards after contact. He's a jack of all trades type of back. He'd be a great addition to any team.
This...and that's why I want us to draft him.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I take it you have never seen Stanford play. Stanford is not a spread offense. They are a power running team, Power being the key word. Stepfan is a power runner. He made a living at gaining yards after contact. He's a jack of all trades type of back. He'd be a great addition to any team.
This...and that's why I want us to draft him.

I like Gillislee alot more than Taylor. He bounces of blocks much better and is quicker.

I think with our Oline that Eddie Lacy would be a star. I dont think hes going to declare though.
This was against the #6 defense in the nation. He rushes for 140 yards and scored 2 TD.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 9, 2013 at 4:00 PM ]
Not sure the need for an "every down back" is relevant to this offense. I get what you're saying in that we'll need someone with more size/power than LMJ and Hunter once Gire is done...but even if we found someone like that, Harbaugh's system doesn't really operate that way. It's a run heavy system, so the carries are typically split amongst 3 backs, two at the very minimum.

Like I said, I understand your point, but not sure I agree with your "every down back" premise.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not sure the need for an "every down back" is relevant to this offense. I get what you're saying in that we'll need someone with more size/power than LMJ and Hunter once Gire is done...but even if we found someone like that, Harbaugh's system doesn't really operate that way. It's a run heavy system, so the carries are typically split amongst 3 backs, two at the very minimum.

Like I said, I understand your point, but not sure I agree with your "every down back" premise.

Well in your opinion who would be a good back for a 3 back system. Kenjon Barner?
...