LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 280 users in the forums

MBA Mock Draft ver 2.0

With the college football season over and the Senior Bowl and Combine yet to come, here is my second attempt at a mock:

Gone
Alex Smith (he will be cut and will not be traded)
Moss
Grant
Akers
Dixon
Ginn
Walker

Franchise
Goldson

Extensions
Soap
Goodwin
J Smith

Choices based on prospect rankings from NFLDraftScout.com dated 1/6/13.

Round 1 John Jenkins NT Georgia 6'3" 358 lbs - Niners stay where they are at the end of the first and take BPA at a position of need
Round 2 Margus Hunt DE SMU 6'7" 280 lbs - freakish athletic ability who is still developing as a football player; Tomsula's next project
Round 3 (From Carolina) Quinton Patton WR La Tech 6'2" 195 lbs - need to replenish the WR position with Moss and Ginn gone.
Round 3 Jordan Reed TE Florida 6' 3" 243 lbs - New H-back/TE to replace Delanie Walker
Round 3 (Comp pick) Corey Lemonier OLB Auburn 6'3" 242 lbs - depth at OLB
Round 4 Darius Slay CB Miss St 6'1" 190 lbs - it's either him or DJ Swearinger FS from South Carolina. With Goldson signed, CB is a bigger priority
Round 5 (from Colts) Rick Wagner OT Wisconsin 6'8" 318 lbs - replaced Gabe Carimi as the Wisconsin starter when he graduated; experience at RT and LT
Round 5 Aaron Mellette WR Elon 6'3" 218 lbs - small school stud who led FCS in catches and yds per game
Round 6 Brad Sorensen QB Southern Utah 6'4" 235 lbs - 3rd QB prospect
Round 6 Dennis Johnson RB Arkansas 5'8' 212 lbs - RB depth and also can return kicks
Round 7 Caleb Sturgis K Florida 5'10" 185 lbs - replacement for Akers
Round 7 Bruce Taylor ILB VA Tech 6'2" 244 lbs - depth behind our studs (from Bengals)
Round 7 Marc Anthony CB/S Cal 6'0" 200 lbs - more secondary depth
First two picks would b that next level.
I think some of those picks are overly optimistic, Hunt's going to fly up the draft boards after the Combine. Lemonier likewise should be gone before the middle of Round 3, but otherwise its a very sound looking draft, love the Patton, Sorenson and Johnson picks especially. Reed is an interesting prospect, needs to improve as a blocker but would provide another explosive weapon at TE, and one that can actually catch the damn ball.
Really like the first two picks and love Mellette pick. I tend to agree that hunt could be gone in the first. If he falls to the second i make a move to move up and get him in the early second.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think some of those picks are overly optimistic, Hunt's going to fly up the draft boards after the Combine. Lemonier likewise should be gone before the middle of Round 3, but otherwise its a very sound looking draft, love the Patton, Sorenson and Johnson picks especially. Reed is an interesting prospect, needs to improve as a blocker but would provide another explosive weapon at TE, and one that can actually catch the damn ball.

Like I said in the post, I am basing the picks on the current rankings from NFLDraftScout.com. I am sure those will change after the Senior Bowl and the Combine. Prospects like Hunt, Lemonier, and Ezekiel Ansah are going to move up based on their workouts, not just their game tapes. Just wanted to take a snapshot as of today and make the picks based on needs, and without any trades.

Next version will probably look very different after the Senior Bowl on Jan 26th.
I question extending goodwin, he is on the wrong side of 34. I also would only extend cowboy one or two more seasons, but he is key. Why would you not have the team extending Crabtree and Manningham?? If the FO does that they have locke up their #1 and #2 WR for 4 more seasons and the niners no longer need to take whiffs on WR in round 1.
I hope John Jenkins is not the BPA when we pick. If so it makes the rest of the draft a wash.
Reed is a stud but he will be gone.
I don't see at least three or four of these players making the team.

I think youre going to have 29 mock drafts by the time the real draft starts. Maybe you can put more effort into each one and do 15 less.
Good Mock
I really like some of your later round picks like OT - Rick Wagner and QB - Sorrensen, WR- Mellet [I think we'll need to move up to get him]

Totally disagree on Alex - he will be traded.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I really like some of your later round picks like OT - Rick Wagner and QB - Sorrensen, WR- Mellet [I think we'll need to move up to get him]

Totally disagree on Alex - he will be traded.

I tend to agree on Mellette. I really love him and think he could really be something and just what we need to compliment our WR core. I agree that he will probably end up moving up the boards and i have us trading back into the late-mid 4th to target him.

I agree AS will be traded.
Kinda looks familiar: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/170040-phoenix49ers-mock-draft-v30/

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by D-Money:
I hope John Jenkins is not the BPA when we pick. If so it makes the rest of the draft a wash.

I think youre going to have 29 mock drafts by the time the real draft starts. Maybe you can put more effort into each one and do 15 less.
Good Mock

Why is that? I would love picking John Jenkins because his wide body is only going to plug up the middle and keep interior OLinemen off Willis/Bowman.
[ Edited by Hopper on Jan 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:

Good Mock

Why is that? I would love picking John Jenkins because his wide body is only going to plug up the middle and keep interior OLinemen off Willis/Bowman.

Hes been getting alot of hate around here lately. Mostly because of Georgia's last to performances against the run. Jenkins actually did well his last two games HE played recording i beleive 17 tackles in those two games. And he cannot be blamed for that Dlines performance in the bowl game against nebraska because he didnt play. Really is a bunch of unfounded hate because Alabama and Nebraska ran all over them, but jenkins didnt even play against alabama.
This would be a sick draft for sure. Doubtful Jenkins and Hunt would be there for the Niners where they pick in first couple of rounds but I would love it. Like Jesse Williams a bit more than Jenkins but would be happy with either.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Kinda looks familiar: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/170040-phoenix49ers-mock-draft-v30/

Great minds think alike......

Good Mock

WTF is your problem? I have done two mocks. So we are both Niners fans who have differing opinions on what the team will do with their draft. Either say something intelligent (...if that is possible) or STFU.
Share 49ersWebzone