LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Alabama Center Barrett Jones

I know a lot of people want to go DE/DT 1st round but I would love to trade up to grab this guy. If you look at Seattle's Max Unger and how great of a center he is which makes Seattle so good at what they do (which they play a lot like us on offense) would make this pick be a great move for the future. The draft is full of good defensive lineman prospects but man I would love to see him in a 49er uniform. Max Unger is listed at 6'5 305 as Barrett Jones is listed at 6'5 311. I am interested to see what kind of impression he puts on at the combine.
[ Edited by NC49erfan82 on Jan 7, 2013 at 8:05 PM ]
Oh god your speaking blasphemy on these forums. Picking an olinemen in the 1st is like murder around here.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Oh god your speaking blasphemy on these forums. Picking an olinemen in the 1st is like murder around here.

Not sure if serious?
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Drafted two in the first not so long ago
Originally posted by fropwns:

I really do not care. I want sure things and not projects in building a team. A great center goes a long way on a team. We are taking a chance on every one of these players but Jones is going to be a great player in the future to come. Hell we could use next years 1st and jump back in to grab another top notch DL prospect. We got 13 picks at least this year with compensatory picks. I know a lot of people are not going to agree with me but it is not about what the fans think. It is about what Baalke thinks.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Not sure if serious?

Nah I was just being facetious but some have the opinion that anyone besides a dlinemen in the 1st is a bust. Hes a great center tho but i bet hes get picked uo early second and I would agree we need some dline youth in the 1st.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM ]
I wish we could draft that entire o-line!
If he even lasted that long it would be a miracle... Jones has the versatility to play every position, excelling at guard and was all SEC at left tackle before the season. A team with an O-line need in the 10-20 range could draft him and plug him anywhere and move him around to get their best 5 lineman on the field. That is a huge benefit, IMO after the top guy at guard & tackle are gone (respectively) he should start being considered good value.
i like goodwin but we need a better center long term
Have invested a ton of picks on the o-line already. Time to work on the d-line, the consensus biggest area of need.

I think you want to root for a class act like Barret Jones. I think he will be available during the Niners first pick. That being said, I think DL is the top priority. I also would like Jones, but see the need for DL talent.
Versatile to say the least.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by fropwns:

I really do not care. I want sure things and not projects in building a team. A great center goes a long way on a team. We are taking a chance on every one of these players but Jones is going to be a great player in the future to come. Hell we could use next years 1st and jump back in to grab another top notch DL prospect. We got 13 picks at least this year with compensatory picks. I know a lot of people are not going to agree with me but it is not about what the fans think. It is about what Baalke thinks.

Word...and he will get paid next to nothing being a center. It's actually a pretty good draft strategy assuming he is a solid player.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Have invested a ton of picks on the o-line already. Time to work on the d-line, the consensus biggest area of need.

and this will be a good draft to do it.
Originally posted by 5280High:
If he even lasted that long it would be a miracle... Jones has the versatility to play every position, excelling at guard and was all SEC at left tackle before the season. A team with an O-line need in the 10-20 range could draft him and plug him anywhere and move him around to get their best 5 lineman on the field. That is a huge benefit, IMO after the top guy at guard & tackle are gone (respectively) he should start being considered good value.

I said I would like to trade up to get him. I think no way in hell he is going to break out of the top 20.
Share 49ersWebzone