LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 286 users in the forums

The next generation

On the teams that manage to stay succesful for an extended period of time, they manage to have a younger player step up when they lose someone to cap issues.

Bowman replacing Spikes turned out to be a huge upgrade. Brooks ended up being superior to Lawson. Boone has been better than having Snyder there. Brown and Culliver have made people forget Nate Clements.

During draft time, I walk away thinking they didn't fill a specific need, but they obviously are aware that someone is talented enough on the team to take the next step up. Who's the next guy that makes the leap? Do they need to draft an OLB if those last two guys have potential? Do they have confidence in Ian Williams, Dobbs or Tukuafu? Celek steps up? Spilman?
I definitely get your point. I'm thinking the only positions where we may not have the same starter as we did the previous year is K, PR/KR, C and possibly NT. With CK's ascension, I'm pretty sure Goldson is a definite resign, so our secondary will remain in tact. The LBs will be together for at least another 3 years. Our offense should remain in tact, although we may have a replacement at C. We are in a situation where we should be trying to develop future starters and get more production out of our backups/role players. Successful teams also need back ups and role players to come in and make plays when given an opportunity. It reminds me of the role Kevin Faulk used to play in New England
Good post.

Based on our injuries this season a deep quality bench is essential.

IMO, not impressed w/Tukuafu or Dobbs. Ian and RFF have been able to contribute. They need more playing time to get better.

As most of us in the Zone have been saying we really need to draft for DLine this time around.
Lmj asks Kendall hunter. Either of them could b the stater after gore loses his step in a couple of years. I would really like to see some youth and competition at dline tho. I think they need some fury especially once bowman and Willis get older. Were going to need a stronger line at that point.
Jumping the gun speaking on once Bowman and Willis get older?
I guess your right but i just see them both playing into their 30s. Their physically gifted like that. I was watching the ravens today and wondering how they still keep ray lewis sp fresh. Hes 36 and still plays like a boss. But they dont overwork him. They have 3 1st rds and 2 2nd rd picks in their 5 man front and I think that while we have such dominance at MLB we should be creating our own dominant 5man front. Which we have but man the ravens have some beasts on the line.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I definitely get your point. I'm thinking the only positions where we may not have the same starter as we did the previous year is K, PR/KR, C and possibly NT. With CK's ascension, I'm pretty sure Goldson is a definite resign, so our secondary will remain in tact. The LBs will be together for at least another 3 years. Our offense should remain in tact, although we may have a replacement at C. We are in a situation where we should be trying to develop future starters and get more production out of our backups/role players. Successful teams also need back ups and role players to come in and make plays when given an opportunity. It reminds me of the role Kevin Faulk used to play in New England

Couldn't agree more with what the true needs our on this team. A lot of folks seem to think we have even more positions to be filled, but really if these positions are upgraded our team will be 5 times better. We simply are not going to find better players available for most other positions. Our team is loaded, young, and in their prime. Time to attack these few positions of need and make our team legendary.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I guess your right but i just see them both playing into their 30s. Their physically gifted like that. I was watching the ravens today and wondering how they still keep ray lewis sp fresh. Hes 36 and still plays like a boss. But they dont overwork him. They have 3 1st rds and 2 2nd rd picks in their 5 man front and I think that while we have such dominance at MLB we should be creating our own dominant 5man front. Which we have but man the ravens have some beasts on the line.

They do. Everytime I see the Ravens play I think that is A LOT of beef on that defensive line. Many people are enamored with the Justin Smith or JJ Watt type of players and how can you not be? But I'd be content to get two young guys to team up with Ray McDonald that will allow our LBs to run free.
With our BOUNTY of picks this April I think a SOLID to GREAT DRAFT will keep us in a position of Dominance!!! Go 9ers!!!
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
With our BOUNTY of picks this April I think a SOLID to GREAT DRAFT will keep us in a position of Dominance!!! Go 9ers!!!

Share 49ersWebzone