There are 147 users in the forums

2013 mock

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Can't really against the picks. I'm curious what the plan is for DE though? Roll with Dobbs and Tufuaku as backups?

i know its popular to say w need DE depth but honestly I think people just want another stud like Justin smith and i don't think thats realistic. I think we can address depth with FA. But honestly I thought about Sharif Floyd in the first and I thought about changing my pick so Idk really depends on Williams and Soap i don't how either of those.situations are going to pan out. We need a true NT cause Williams its a back up and Sopos his last leg. and Jesse Williams feels like the best place to address it.
Originally posted by eonblue:
1. Jesse Williams-Alabama-NT
2. Cordarelle patterson-Tennessee-WR
3a. Bilbi Wren Wilson-Conn-CB
3b.Kyle long-Oregon-OT
3c. Joseph Fauria-UCLA-TE
4. Kiko Alonso-Oregon-ILB
5.Meshak Williams-K state-OLB
5.Dennis Johnson-Arkansas-RB
6.Kapron Lewis-Notre Dame-DT

That's it. May the criticism begin!

One of my favorite running backs in this entire draft, way too many people sleeping on this guy IMO.
i know its popular to say w need DE depth but honestly I think people just want another stud like Justin smith and i don't think thats realistic. I think we can address depth with FA. But honestly I thought about Sharif Floyd in the first and I thought about changing my pick so Idk really depends on Williams and Soap i don't how either of those.situations are going to pan out. We need a true NT cause Williams its a back up and Sopos his last leg. and Jesse Williams feels like the best place to address it.

I'd rather have a quality NT than throw spaghetti at the wall, hoping to get the next Justin Smith by drafting a 4-3 DT. There just aren't many good 3-4 DE prospects this year. Last year had some better choices for sure.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'd rather have a quality NT than throw spaghetti at the wall, hoping to get the next Justin Smith by drafting a 4-3 DT. There just aren't many good 3-4 DE prospects this year. Last year had some better choices for sure.

Exactly.
I won't say that there aren't any, but I think fans are frustrated because we don't rotate too many guys in the front 7. And people have equated not playing with not being good at all. However I will say that theory has been proven wrong twice. It was assumed that CK and LeMichael James weren't ready when that clearly wasn't the case. Maybe the backups at DE will be a surprise as well.
Looks good to me. Sharrif Floyd is the guy I really want in the first but would be fine with Williams.
Dont like WR in the second, and no S of DE.

Other than that i ould be happy ith this draft. Gimme a DE and S in the second and third picks, like Hunt and Thomas and i would be real happy.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Other than that i ould be happy ith this draft. Gimme a DE and S in the second and third picks, like Hunt and Thomas and i would be real happy.

I personally think were alright at.DE and any doubt can be addressed.FA. Maybe we can address a safety in the third rd since Goldston and whitner are about expire but i want us to pay then both their money but if we were to get rid of one we would def need.to be grooming a backup right.about now.

1)Patterson could be this year's Stephen Hill, he seems to be big and fast...and he could be our return guy.
2)Kapron Lewis is a 3-4 DE.
[ Edited by communist on Jan 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM ]
Originally posted by communist:

1)Patterson could be this year's Stephen Hill, he seems to be big and fast...and he could be our return guy.
2)Kapron Lewis is a 3-4 DE.

We have two first round WR's on the roster, as well as Manningham and KW. Jenkins may not pan out but I would rather take a WR later and take our chances. We have much more pressing needs than WR.

And a 6th round project is not what i consider addressing the Dline. IMO addressing the depth on the Dline and in the secondary are the two top prioritys in this draft. I would much rather have a Wolfe/Hunt than a Hill/Patterson.

We have two first round WR's on the roster, as well as Manningham and KW. Jenkins may not pan out but I would rather take a WR later and take our chances. We have much more pressing needs than WR.

And a 6th round project is not what i consider addressing the Dline. IMO addressing the depth on the Dline and in the secondary are the two top prioritys in this draft. I would much rather have a Wolfe/Hunt than a Hill/Patterson.
Personally I think Mario is a little bit overrated, he is a very good #2 and that's it. Crabs has improved, thx to Kaep and we still have to see AJ playing constantly. Nevertheless, we have a lack at "redzone WR". Patterson could fill this need AND he seems to be very fast, though he is still very raw. If he is the clean-cut BPA at our 2nd-round-pick, we should grab him.

A 6th-rounder should be sufficient for some depth at the D-Line, especially if he is experienced in playing at 3-4 DE. If you wanna get a potential from-day-one starter, you should go for a DE a day earlier, of course.

You are right about our top priorities but the draft will be driven by need-based BPA.

Who is Hill???
Originally posted by communist:
Personally I think Mario is a little bit overrated, he is a very good #2 and that's it. Crabs has improved, thx to Kaep and we still have to see AJ playing constantly. Nevertheless, we have a lack at "redzone WR". Patterson could fill this need AND he seems to be very fast, though he is still very raw. If he is the clean-cut BPA at our 2nd-round-pick, we should grab him.

A 6th-rounder should be sufficient for some depth at the D-Line, especially if he is experienced in playing at 3-4 DE. If you wanna get a potential from-day-one starter, you should go for a DE a day earlier, of course.

You are right about our top priorities but the draft will be driven by need-based BPA.

Who is Hill???

You mentioned patterson could be like Stephen hill, so i mentioned that i would have Taken Wolfe over Hill last draft, just like i would take Hunt over Patterson in this draft. Just doing a this year last year comparison thing.

I personally would ant to look a bit later at a guys like Jordan Mathews- WR- Vanderbilt- 6-3, 205, JR ----Or---- Aaron Mellette-Elon-WR- 6-4, 218, rSR, Both are big targets with good hands and good upside with a capable QB. Mathews IMO projects to the third, and Mellette Projects to the 4th/5th.

Not saying that we dont need a WR, because we do, but we have neglected Depth on the defense in recent drafts by going heavy offense in early rounds, and i would like to see us balance it out this year.

Im sorry but Im tired of debating dline priority. We have solid starters.in McDonald, sopo, and Smith. Were developing Williams and rjf is a solid back up. Fangio hasnt even been playing with three on dline for 30% of the snap. He drop the 0 tec and rushes the edge with the OLBs. We create pressure in many other ways and we simply dont need another stud DE to be effective. In fact we need someone to take up space in the middle more than 2 gap DE and thats why JESSE WILLIAMS is my #1 pick. We need someone who can.blow the.top off a defense and fight for the ball. A go to guy. I mean i could see drafting zark ertz or tyler eifert with the second but my first two rounds will always.be dline and offense in whatever order. Drafting 3 d linemen in the first 3 rds seems like thw only thing that would satisfy some people and frankly it's ridiculous.
You mentioned patterson could be like Stephen hill, so i mentioned that i would have Taken Wolfe over Hill last draft, just like i would take Hunt over Patterson in this draft. Just doing a this year last year comparison thing.

I personally would ant to look a bit later at a guys like Jordan Mathews- WR- Vanderbilt- 6-3, 205, JR ----Or---- Aaron Mellette-Elon-WR- 6-4, 218, rSR, Both are big targets with good hands and good upside with a capable QB. Mathews IMO projects to the third, and Mellette Projects to the 4th/5th.

Not saying that we dont need a WR, because we do, but we have neglected Depth on the defense in recent drafts by going heavy offense in early rounds, and i would like to see us balance it out this year.

I mean the only arguable point in that investing a pick on WR while we dont have the verdict on Jenkins. I mean I would like Hunt in 2nd or Sylvester williams but all the prospect at DE seems so risky at our pick. I would much rather juat continue reinforc our wr corp. controllong the game woth your offense makes life easier on your d. You kewl them off the field and you can allow the secondary to play deeper gurading the deep ball. I,choose a WR from a perspective of dynamics between offense and defense and the fact we can do more with less if we just do it properly.

Im sorry but Im tired of debating dline priority. We have solid starters.in McDonald, sopo, and Smith. Were developing Williams and rjf is a solid back up. Fangio hasnt even been playing with three on dline for 30% of the snap. He drop the 0 tec and rushes the edge with the OLBs. We create pressure in many other ways and we simply dont need another stud DE to be effective. In fact we need someone to take up space in the middle more than 2 gap DE and thats why JESSE WILLIAMS is my #1 pick. We need someone who can.blow the.top off a defense and fight for the ball. A go to guy. I mean i could see drafting zark ertz or tyler eifert with the second but my first two rounds will always.be dline and offense in whatever order. Drafting 3 d linemen in the first 3 rds seems like thw only thing that would satisfy some people and frankly it's ridiculous.

Thats not what im calling for at all.

I agree that NT is the #1 priority, I have us taking a NT in the first in my early mock as well, especialy since Soap isaint under contract next season. But we cannot forget that Justin Smith is a free agent in 2014. WHile i feel Smith will want to stay with the 49ers and probably accept a reasonable price, its no guarantee. RJF and williams are not the answer IMO long term on the dline.

I personally think NT, S, and DE are the top three prioritys in this draft, and in that order. But guys like Hunt will not be around in later rounds, thats why i feel it will be important to address NT and DE in the 1st and 2nd. S could be had in the third. I personally have 1.NT, 2. DE, 3a. TE, 3b. WR, 4. S (although i think my S will jump into the third and i would take him there as well)

Im sorry if you disagree and feel i as being arguementive. I wasnt. I was mostly having a side conversasion with the other poster i was discussing with. Like i said i would be happy with the draft, but would change a few things, and you posted it here for all of us to comment on.

WR simply isaint a huge need early this year IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone