LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

AB's Top 20 Mock

Only did first 20 picks.

http://www.draftwatchers.com/news/40-Top-20-2013-NFL-Mock-Draft.html

1. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14) - QB Geno Smith, West Virginia

Analysis: It's clear that the Chiefs are going in a new direction, with the firing of Head Coach Romeo Crenel, and likely release of QB Matt Cassel, so they take who they feel can be their franchise QB in Smith.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-14) - OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia

Analysis: The Jags need some defensive help, and OLB is one of those spots, especially with Daryl Smith a Free Agent to be, so Jones makes sense from both Coverage and Pass rushing abailities.

3. Oakland Raiders (4-12) - OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M

Analysis: The Raiders need help to protect the QB, whether it's Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart or Terrelle Pryor, they need the help, and Joeckel is the best in this draft class.

4. Philadlephia Eagles (4-12) - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah

Analysis: The Eagles have a good DT in Fletcher Cox, and Cullen Jenkins is a good DT, but is declining, so why not get the best DT/NT in the big mammoth from Utah.

5. Detroit Lions (4-12) - DE Sam Montgomery, LSU

Analysis: The Lions could decide to not bring back both Kyle Vanden Bosch and Cliff Avril, so they would need some more depth and starter material, and Montgomery brings that as a edge pass rusher.

6. Cleveland Browns (5-11) - OG Chance Warmack, Alabama

Analysis: The Browns continue to build their offense, now adding an OG to go with Joe Thomas and Mitchell Schawrtz on the O-Line.

7. Arizona Cardinals (5-11) - QB EJ Manual, Florida State

Analysis: The Cards need to find their answer at QB, and they hope they find it in Manual.

8. Buffalo Bills (6-10) - QB Mike Glennon, N.C. State

Analysis: The Fitzpatrick era is over, and now they get their new franchise QB in Glennon.

9. New York Jets (6-10) - DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State

Analysis: The Jets will rebuild their defense, and need pass rushing, and Werner will help in that department.

10. Tennessee Titans (6-10) - CB Johnathan Hankins, Mississippi State

Analysis: The Titans need to replace the loss of Cortland Finnegans, and they do so with Banks..

11. San Diego Chargers (7-9) - ILB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

Analysis: The Chargers solidfy the ILB spot with Te'o, in a much needed addition with Takeo Spikes on the downhill.

12. Miami Dolphins (7-9) - WR Keenan Allen, California

Analysis: The Dolphins top priority needs to be weapons for Tannehill, and especially at WR, so they get the top one in the draft in Allen.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-9) - CB Jordan Poyer, Oregon State

Analysis: The Bucs need some help at CB, Ronde Barber is getting older, and they only really have Eric Wright signed long term, so they need long term stability at CB, and Poyer gives them the potential shut down #1 CB.

14. Carolina Panthers (7-9) - DT Johnthan Hankins, Ohio State

Analysis: The Panthers need a big body in the middle, and Hankins is certainly one that fills that need.

15. New Orleans Saints (7-9) - CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State

Analysis: The Saints have a need at CB with Jabari Greer a Free Agent to be, so they get one of the best inb Rhodes.

16. St. Louis Rams (7-8-1) - OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan

Analysis: The Rams have built their O-Line, and have needs at Tackle and Guard, and get the one of the best Tackles in the draft in Lewan.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8) - CB Dee Milliner, Alabama

Analysis: Ike Taylor isn't getting any younger, and the defense has slown down, so the Steelers need youth and help at CB, and Milliner is one of the top 5 CBs in this draft.

18. Dallas Cowboys (8-8) - DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M

Analysis: The Cowboys could need a DE if Anthony Spencer leaves as a Free Agent, and Moore brings so much pass rush.

19. New York Giants (9-7) - CB Logan Ryan, Rutgers

Analysis: The Giants need a CB with Terrell Thomas always injured, and Ryan is a top 5 CB.

20. Chicago Bears (10-6) - OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina

Analysis: The Bears bring in a OG to shore up the O-Line.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Jan 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM ]
I don't see Geno Smith gong #1 overall. Maybe the Chiefs can trade down this year?
somebody that needs a RB/PR needs to take a long look at Giovani Bernard of UNC, dude is a stud
Originally posted by PTulini:
I don't see Geno Smith gong #1 overall. Maybe the Chiefs can trade down this year?

Trade down to what, with who? The Chiefs are screwed the way the 49ers were screwed when they had the #1 pick. Geno Smith isn't worth the 1st pick in the draft, but then again, nobody else in this draft is either. That pick has little value for teams wanting to trade up, so ultimately, with QB being their biggest need, they'll bite the bullet and draft Geno Smith, who is remarkably similar to Alex Smith in a lot of ways. Its not ideal, but its the best they'll be able to do. I definitely don't see them drafting Te'o or whatever crap some mock drafts have been pushing.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Only did first 20 picks.

http://www.draftwatchers.com/news/40-Top-20-2013-NFL-Mock-Draft.html

1. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14) - QB Geno Smith, West Virginia

Analysis: It's clear that the Chiefs are going in a new direction, with the firing of Head Coach Romeo Crenel, and likely release of QB Matt Cassel, so they take who they feel can be their franchise QB in Smith.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars (2-14) - OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia

Analysis: The Jags need some defensive help, and OLB is one of those spots, especially with Daryl Smith a Free Agent to be, so Jones makes sense from both Coverage and Pass rushing abailities.

3. Oakland Raiders (4-12) - OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M

Analysis: The Raiders need help to protect the QB, whether it's Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart or Terrelle Pryor, they need the help, and Joeckel is the best in this draft class.

4. Philadlephia Eagles (4-12) - DT Star Lotulelei, Utah

Analysis: The Eagles have a good DT in Fletcher Cox, and Cullen Jenkins is a good DT, but is declining, so why not get the best DT/NT in the big mammoth from Utah.

5. Detroit Lions (4-12) - DE Sam Montgomery, LSU

Analysis: The Lions could decide to not bring back both Kyle Vanden Bosch and Cliff Avril, so they would need some more depth and starter material, and Montgomery brings that as a edge pass rusher.

6. Cleveland Browns (5-11) - OG Chance Warmack, Alabama

Analysis: The Browns continue to build their offense, now adding an OG to go with Joe Thomas and Mitchell Schawrtz on the O-Line.

7. Arizona Cardinals (5-11) - QB EJ Manual, Florida State

Analysis: The Cards need to find their answer at QB, and they hope they find it in Manual.

8. Buffalo Bills (6-10) - QB Mike Glennon, N.C. State

Analysis: The Fitzpatrick era is over, and now they get their new franchise QB in Glennon.

9. New York Jets (6-10) - DE Bjoern Werner, Florida State

Analysis: The Jets will rebuild their defense, and need pass rushing, and Werner will help in that department.

10. Tennessee Titans (6-10) - CB Johnathan Hankins, Mississippi State

Analysis: The Titans need to replace the loss of Cortland Finnegans, and they do so with Banks..

11. San Diego Chargers (7-9) - ILB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

Analysis: The Chargers solidfy the ILB spot with Te'o, in a much needed addition with Takeo Spikes on the downhill.

12. Miami Dolphins (7-9) - WR Keenan Allen, California

Analysis: The Dolphins top priority needs to be weapons for Tannehill, and especially at WR, so they get the top one in the draft in Allen.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-9) - CB Jordan Poyer, Oregon State

Analysis: The Bucs need some help at CB, Ronde Barber is getting older, and they only really have Eric Wright signed long term, so they need long term stability at CB, and Poyer gives them the potential shut down #1 CB.

14. Carolina Panthers (7-9) - DT Johnthan Hankins, Ohio State

Analysis: The Panthers need a big body in the middle, and Hankins is certainly one that fills that need.

15. New Orleans Saints (7-9) - CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State

Analysis: The Saints have a need at CB with Jabari Greer a Free Agent to be, so they get one of the best inb Rhodes.

16. St. Louis Rams (7-8-1) - OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan

Analysis: The Rams have built their O-Line, and have needs at Tackle and Guard, and get the one of the best Tackles in the draft in Lewan.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8) - CB Dee Milliner, Alabama

Analysis: Ike Taylor isn't getting any younger, and the defense has slown down, so the Steelers need youth and help at CB, and Milliner is one of the top 5 CBs in this draft.

18. Dallas Cowboys (8-8) - DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M

Analysis: The Cowboys could need a DE if Anthony Spencer leaves as a Free Agent, and Moore brings so much pass rush.

19. New York Giants (9-7) - CB Logan Ryan, Rutgers

Analysis: The Giants need a CB with Terrell Thomas always injured, and Ryan is a top 5 CB.

20. Chicago Bears (10-6) - OG Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina

Analysis: The Bears bring in a OG to shore up the O-Line.

Most of the picks look good, one of the major differences I have is the Saints. I think they're basically a lock for DL, and particularly a guy like Richardson. There will still be solid cornerback's available later on in the draft but they won't be able to find someone like Richardson later on, who can start immediately and fits their defense to a T. I hate saying anyone is a lock because off-season/combine/workouts can change a lot, but Richardson to the Saints is one of the closest things to a lock that I can see.

I also don't see Manuel going that high, his ceiling is probably around the range where Kaepernick was drafted. Additionally if Arizona does hire Reid, he won't be reaching for a QB, his usual MO is to find a guy in the later rounds, and would develop him behind Kolb. I think OL is by far the biggest need for that team and Kolb is mostly serviceable as a game-manager type starting QB. I actually feel like Dysert would be a good fit for Arizona in Round 2 or 3, I think his accuracy will move him up the boards.
Not a single one of those QB's should be drafted in the first....sadly 2 or 3 probably will be. Someone likely slides out because at team fills the spotl with Alex in my opinion. But man...its definitley buying a mule when you need a thoroughbread, picking a kid like Geno Smith number one over all.
I'm really not that high on Milner. Also I can see Pitt going o line or d line before corner. Yes Ike isn't getting any younger but he was by far their best secondary player this season. Might can go with a corner in the 2nd round. gotta stop big Ben from getting killed. Nice work
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by PTulini:

Trade down to what, with who? The Chiefs are screwed the way the 49ers were screwed when they had the #1 pick. Geno Smith isn't worth the 1st pick in the draft, but then again, nobody else in this draft is either. That pick has little value for teams wanting to trade up, so ultimately, with QB being their biggest need, they'll bite the bullet and draft Geno Smith, who is remarkably similar to Alex Smith in a lot of ways. Its not ideal, but its the best they'll be able to do. I definitely don't see them drafting Te'o or whatever crap some mock drafts have been pushing.

I just don't think they'll take a QB #1 overall. If they can't trade down, then I say take the best player available regardless of the position.
Most of the picks look good, one of the major differences I have is the Saints. I think they're basically a lock for DL, and particularly a guy like Richardson. There will still be solid cornerback's available later on in the draft but they won't be able to find someone like Richardson later on, who can start immediately and fits their defense to a T. I hate saying anyone is a lock because off-season/combine/workouts can change a lot, but Richardson to the Saints is one of the closest things to a lock that I can see.

I also don't see Manuel going that high, his ceiling is probably around the range where Kaepernick was drafted. Additionally if Arizona does hire Reid, he won't be reaching for a QB, his usual MO is to find a guy in the later rounds, and would develop him behind Kolb. I think OL is by far the biggest need for that team and Kolb is mostly serviceable as a game-manager type starting QB. I actually feel like Dysert would be a good fit for Arizona in Round 2 or 3, I think his accuracy will move him up the boards.

Good points, I did this pre-Reid going to Arizona rumors, so I do agree with you now.

I was going Richardson to Saints, but not sure he goes that high, at least not yet, he probably ends up middle 1st eventually, but now I have him around our pick range.
Appreciate the input, and for not ripping me a new one. I tried to get needs down as best as possible. I do think Pitt could go DL, but thought CB is also a big need.

Good mock AB, looks pretty accurate for what we know right now.

Manuel and Glennon are both late 1st/2nd round QBs. But the thing is its a fairly weak draft, espicially at QB. There are so many examples in recent years where QBs get drafted way earlier than they should have been because teams are desperate. We just had a year in the NFL where rookie QBs turned teams around (Colts, Redskins, Seahawks), its very possible teams will reach for a QB.

We will know more about Manuel's and Glennon's chances after the Senior Bowl which is going to be a great showcase for these guys.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Manuel and Glennon are both late 1st/2nd round QBs. But the thing is its a fairly weak draft, espicially at QB. There are so many examples in recent years where QBs get drafted way earlier than they should have been because teams are desperate. We just had a year in the NFL where rookie QBs turned teams around (Colts, Redskins, Seahawks), its very possible teams will reach for a QB.

We will know more about Manuel's and Glennon's chances after the Senior Bowl which is going to be a great showcase for these guys.

Thanks man, appreciate the kind words. Sucks now that Matthews appears heading back to school. And yeah QB is weak class, anything can happen.
With Philly drafting Cox last year in the 1st I do not see them drafting another DT this early. They need a star quality Tackle on the OL. I could see the Raiders and Eagles swapping picks based on your mock. If you watch every Eagles snap at QB compared to every run vs their D then you can definately see the bigger need. Nice mock man.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
With Philly drafting Cox last year in the 1st I do not see them drafting another DT this early. They need a star quality Tackle on the OL. I could see the Raiders and Eagles swapping picks based on your mock. If you watch every Eagles snap at QB compared to every run vs their D then you can definately see the bigger need. Nice mock man.

Thanks for the input NC. I fought myself between DT and OT for Philly. I guess depends on new coach. But OT would be a rd 2 pick then. Or trade back into rd 1, Oday Aboushi, DJ fluker could be targets.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

I really do think Glennon will move up ala Ponder and some quarterbacks in recent years. He's got a very good skillset, I wouldn't take him before say...Pick 25, but most likely someone will, especially after the recent QB class basically kicked the doors down and started turning the conventional belief about rookie QB's on its ear.

I am very much looking ahead to the Senior Bowl, there's a quite a few players I'm intrigued in seeing more of, especially with my current man-crush on Quinton Patton.
Share 49ersWebzone